• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 245 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another snoozefest as seen yesterday already. Shame about no Wout and Pidcock.
Clipboard.png

so it was predestined!

Reactions: Monte Serra
Always nice with the CX World Championship but this must have been the most anticipated result with the lowest odds ever. The podium combo was exactly what was expected.

Maybe Vanthourenhout could have challenged Niuwenhuis if his start would not have been so troubled (what happened there?).

Vandeputte and Vandenbosch who stayed with Van der Poel on the first lap blew themselves to pieces. Ronhaar looked good for a while but this is really a course for Vanthourenhout.

So now MVDP is on six wins. Will he continue or was this it?

Reactions: jmdirt
Backsteadt is quite ahead like MVDP at 19 in CX and Road, but she's also World Champion on Track and nearly in TT also so I think at some point she could surpass MVDP at Elite level too, but time will tell.

She's only ever been junior world champion on the track, and she hasn't done any track racing since turning pro. Also in order to become elite world champion in ITT, you have to be selected for the race, and she hasn't been that yet. I won't be surprised if she wins it one day though.

In CX it will be hard for anyone to surpass Vos' 8 elite titles, but at the moment there's only one rider who looks like she could potentially achieve it, and that ain't Bäckstedt.

Backsteadt is quite ahead like MVDP at 19 in CX and Road, but she's also World Champion on Track and nearly in TT also so I think at some point she could surpass MVDP at Elite level too, but time will tell.
I think as a time trialist there's definitely the potential for Backstedt to become a new Ellen van Dijk. As a cyclocrosser I'm not too sure. She's still quite far from Van Empel's level, and then there's also Pieterse and Van Anrooij, all of them just 2 years older than Backstedt. Podiums are possible on certain courses, wins as well, but really dominating the sport? That will take quite a big leap.

Well, I guess it depends on how you want to rate guys (total wins, total WC's, etc.), but it's pretty clear that there's never been another human being better at racing a CX bike in absolute terms. And his stats relative to the competition are pretty insane as well. Apparently, he is something like 171-62 for his career. A damn good record even in a sport where there are only 2 teams or two players...

Reactions: jmdirt
I think as a time trialist there's definitely the potential for Backstedt to become a new Ellen van Dijk. As a cyclocrosser I'm not too sure. She's still quite far from Van Empel's level, and then there's also Pieterse and Van Anrooij, all of them just 2 years older than Backstedt. Podiums are possible on certain courses, wins as well, but really dominating the sport? That will take quite a big leap.

shes got a very strong ITT record so far, national junior champion, junior world champion, Euro u23 champion, she has alot of power in those legs, and shes still only 19, still got tons to learn and develop as a rider, both Pieterse and Van Anrooij have two years extra on her, and yet we are talking about them as if they are meant to be equal, that I think shows how good Zoe is she is challenging riders who are older than her.

can she dominate CX ? probably not and I dont think thats her aim or goal as to why she does CX anyway, abit like Pidcock its a means to end not the sole purpose of her racing career.

plus I mean you see now in the mens, it feels like MvP is dominating totally, but there are other riders around who can challenge him but are on different race programmes that arent in sync with his, so how do you get to a point where essentially its a fair fight between them all to show who is the best, and not just the one who is there to compete, whilst the others use it as a nice winter training ride.

So, if MVDP never races cross again, is he the best ever?
No, he needs one more world title to equal Eric De Vlaeminck, or two to break the record. Otherwise he'd just be another could-have-been.

He could just do five or six cross-country races next year, but including the World Championship. Or he could skip one year and still break it later, but there's no guarantee he'll still be as good in three years time.

She's only ever been junior world champion on the track, and she hasn't done any track racing since turning pro. Also in order to become elite world champion in ITT, you have to be selected for the race, and she hasn't been that yet. I won't be surprised if she wins it one day though.

In CX it will be hard for anyone to surpass Vos' 8 elite titles, but at the moment there's only one rider who looks like she could potentially achieve it, and that ain't Bäckstedt.
I was comparing CX riders at the same age currently, so that is 19. Elite results from Vos and MVDP are meaningless to compare with a 19 year old but why I said time will tell with Backsteadt.

shes got a very strong ITT record so far, national junior champion, junior world champion, Euro u23 champion, she has alot of power in those legs, and shes still only 19, still got tons to learn and develop as a rider, both Pieterse and Van Anrooij have two years extra on her, and yet we are talking about them as if they are meant to be equal, that I think shows how good Zoe is she is challenging riders who are older than her.
That she's a very talented rider, nobody questions that. But I reacted to someone suggesting she could become the new MVDP and dominate a discipline the way he does. That's what I have my doubts about, at least regarding cyclocross.

I was comparing CX riders at the same age currently, so that is 19. Elite results from Vos and MVDP are meaningless to compare with a 19 year old but why I said time will tell with Backsteadt.
There's the quite recent example of Pieterse and Van Empel at 19, already challenging for (and in Van Empel's case, winning) elite world cups. Backstedt is good, but her level at that age is not unheard of in CX.

So, if MVDP never races cross again, is he the best ever?
Yes,
The two he is most often compared with are Sven Nys and Eric de Vlaeminck.

De Vlaeminck is an apple to oranges comparison just like comparing Mikaela Shiffrin vs Annemarie Moser-Pröll or Muhammad Ali vs Jack Dempsey, a different time with different conditions in every aspect. Yet maybe it could be claimed that Vlaeminck was a better crossrider with his seven Elite WC wins but do we really think that he would have stood a chance even with today's training methods and equipment? Against road opposition - at the time - he didn't do as well as MVDP at least.

Sven Nys? No, not on the road and not as a CX rider. He was still very good when MVDP made his debut into the elite CX ranks and Nys got beaten from the start by an 18 years old van der Poel. Not every time but often enough.

That she's a very talented rider, nobody questions that. But I reacted to someone suggesting she could become the new MVDP and dominate a discipline the way he does. That's what I have my doubts about, at least regarding cyclocross.

There's the quite recent example of Pieterse and Van Empel at 19, already challenging for (and in Van Empel's case, winning) elite world cups. Backstedt is good, but her level at that age is not unheard of in CX.
Well you used Vos as the yardstick. At 19 Vos had 1x CX World Champs title, Backsteadt has 2x CX World Champs, 2x Road World Champs, 1x TT World Champs & 1x Track World Champs titles.
I'm not saying she will have the net CX wins of Vos twice her age, but in the context of mastering their craft, she has comparably won more than Vos by 19, but tha'ts maybe unfair, Vos was also dabbling in speed skating and MTB before CX iirc.