Race Thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Judging by the map on the world cup site, it's the old Namur course, without that section.
From this video it looks the same as last year other than the stepped downhill replaced with more steep off camber and a steep dead turn hairpin onto the cobbled climb probably 200 or so metres uphill from where the steps finished and that massive puddle/pond was.

Reactions: postmanhat
Wednesday I did the lap @Namur : You can watch my GoPro Lap Course Preview on my YouTube channel :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2RJZiEPHc4&t=1s

Kind regards from Belgium,
Matteo
Nice video! A small advice, when using the chest mount with your GoPro, try to put it upside down slightly angled forward. That way you can catch more or what's ahead and less bike frame!

Ah, that citadel mud takes me back to my first day in Belgium, some decembers ago, with only one pair of shoes with me to save space and with the very (un)wise decision to climb from the Meuse to the top of hill by a shortcut through the woods. Poor walking shoes.

The course seems different than I expected. They avoided the "steps" from last year in the way to the cobbled climb and added a drop after the traditional off-camber, right?

Dec 18, 2020
Nice video! A small advice, when using the chest mount with your GoPro, try to put it upside down slightly angled forward. That way you can catch more or what's ahead and less bike frame!

Ah, that citadel mud takes me back to my first day in Belgium, some decembers ago, with only one pair of shoes with me to save space and with the very (un)wise decision to climb from the Meuse to the top of hill by a shortcut through the woods. Poor walking shoes.

The course seems different than I expected. They avoided the "steps" from last year in the way to the cobbled climb and added a drop after the traditional off-camber, right?
Yes I know, I didn't get a good angle --> next time it will be better ! Thanks for the advice

From the front page of CN:
"While Van Aert yielded to the reigning world champion in the past two seasons, especially after his crash in the 2019 Tour de France, the Belgian appears to be finding some of his previous form. "

While I realize that they are likely referring to his 'cross form, in general he isn't finding his old form because he is at a higher level now IMO.

MVDP to unload everything he's got in his arsenal tomorrow. Just his second weekend, but my guess is it will be enough.
We'll see. It will depend on how muddy it is as well. It's not a race that suits him particularly well. With van Aert not at his best/injured the past few seasons he's not had real competition, yet last year, he only just beat Aerts (who crashed). Mathieu is a guy that can not surprise anymore if he wins by a minute, but i do feel things are not the same as previous years, i could also see him even miss out on the podium. I don't think Gavere was representative of Iserbyt's form, he completely blew the start. He's also shown he's a good climber (not just in CX). Pidcock has been inconsistent in the past, but he's a bit older and stronger again. If he can find the same form of last week, i could see him ride away from Mathieu again. Both Wout and Toon have done very well on this course in the past, so if their form is there, they could also go for the win. Though i'm not sure where Wout is going to start, i assume 2nd row.

This isn't an explosive course, and the technical parts that can make a difference are few and far between. I think if Mathieu isn't 100%, that he's not going to make it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY