• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From the front page of CN:
"While Van Aert yielded to the reigning world champion in the past two seasons, especially after his crash in the 2019 Tour de France, the Belgian appears to be finding some of his previous form. "

While I realize that they are likely referring to his 'cross form, in general he isn't finding his old form because he is at a higher level now IMO.

MVDP to unload everything he's got in his arsenal tomorrow. Just his second weekend, but my guess is it will be enough.
We'll see. It will depend on how muddy it is as well. It's not a race that suits him particularly well. With van Aert not at his best/injured the past few seasons he's not had real competition, yet last year, he only just beat Aerts (who crashed). Mathieu is a guy that can not surprise anymore if he wins by a minute, but i do feel things are not the same as previous years, i could also see him even miss out on the podium. I don't think Gavere was representative of Iserbyt's form, he completely blew the start. He's also shown he's a good climber (not just in CX). Pidcock has been inconsistent in the past, but he's a bit older and stronger again. If he can find the same form of last week, i could see him ride away from Mathieu again. Both Wout and Toon have done very well on this course in the past, so if their form is there, they could also go for the win. Though i'm not sure where Wout is going to start, i assume 2nd row.

This isn't an explosive course, and the technical parts that can make a difference are few and far between. I think if Mathieu isn't 100%, that he's not going to make it.

Van Aert growing in the race.
The gap of the past 2 laps, were due to technical mistakes. Had to get off the bike because he was too close to van der Poel coming out of the off camber section, and lost 3 seconds. And every lap that short steep downhill where they need to get off the bike, he gets on in a way too big a gear.

EDIT: first time in the entire race he takes that section perfectly.

The gap of the past 2 laps, were due to technical mistakes. Had to get off the bike because he was too close to van der Poel coming out of the off camber section, and lost 3 seconds. And every lap that short steep downhill where they need to get off the bike, he gets on in a way too big a gear.

His body language is different than in the first laps as well. He's definitely getting stronger.

Edit: aaand he's caught Pidcock.