Race Thread

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It hasn't been mentioned in this thread but I can't start talking about the new season before mentioning that Jolien Verschueren has passed away this summer, not resisting her fight to a brain tumor. She had made a brief return to the fields after a initial success in fighting the big C but unfortunately the disease came back. May she rest in piece.

Now, the next season starts next saturday with the Ethias Cross in Lokeren. It will be the first year with the 16-rounds World Cup (hopefully), so let's see what that brings to the sport.

Regarding transfers I didn't see any of particular notice, the only ones noteworthy may be the merging of Credishop-Fristads with Iko-Crelan and Alice Maria Arzuffi leaving 777, who welcomes Aniek van Alphen.

Regarding the mens, I have a feeling that MVdP will have a big rival this season, and that rival will be called Thibau Nys.

Reactions: postmanhat
Nov 13, 2019
Thanks for sharing… sad news indeed. Always terrible to hear someone so young taken away so early in life.

P.s. Why Thibau Nys? Can’t remember him showing anything super special at the tail end of last CX season or has he been lighting it up elsewhere recently?

P.s. Why Thibau Nys? Can’t remember him showing anything super special at the tail end of last CX season or has he been lighting it up elsewhere recently?
He's been on fire on the local road scene from the reports I've been seeing. His turn of speed on the uphill finish of the U23 NC was impressive.

At least on the punchier circuits I'm counting on him, don't know if he will be at same level on the muddier grinds tho.

Reactions: Mick Dundee
It hasn't been mentioned in this thread but I can't start talking about the new season before mentioning that Jolien Verschueren has passed away this summer, not resisting her fight to a brain tumor. She had made a brief return to the fields after a initial success in fighting the big C but unfortunately the disease came back. May she rest in piece.
such sad news...thanks! for posting as i had not heard

jolien was received with such affection when returning to competition despite not performing
at level anywhere near her best............................... she will be fondly remembered at super prestige and other events

Mark L

Good racing in both men's and women's although alot closer in the women's. It'll be interesting to see where the front three of van Alphen, van Empel and Betsema sit compared to Alvarado and Brand when she starts her season. Obviously it's early days and van Alphen won last year but didn't really feature right at the front when the top riders raced, but maybe a year older, greater development and now directly on the same team as Worst might all help her. Speaking of Worst, it'll be interesting to see where she site as her season wasn't as great last year. Preparation was possibly partly disrupted by that mtb accident in the summer so hopefully she's had a more fluid build up this year. Maybe some speed and skills from Vincent Baestaens has rubbed off her!

Looking at the men's results it's interesting Meeussen and Meeusen finished in very similar positions. I know Witse has an extra S in his surname, but I seem to remember seeing somwhere they're related. Can anyone confirm this? Also is Bailey Groenendaal Richard's son?

thanks! for your synopsis...great to have CX back although my attention is still focused on road
when is the 1st race of real note....i looked at calendar and saw 3rd oct super prestige?

will mens be battle between usual suspects 'til VWA MVdP pidcock return? hope iserbyt has more luck this season...just seen nipper nys win u23 road euro title....expect he will be more
competitive this season?

lol! i hope brand doesn't steamroller her way to as many dull wins this season...with luck worst will be back to her best and alvorado betsema etc are flying..................

posted pic in another thread....i'm always struck by how much brand looks like toon aerts...like peas....

Mark L

After watching MTB during the summer, I often find the early season CX races seem a bit lame (which is a bit harsh); however another few weeks and I'm all in for it.

I think in the men's, they need to make hay whilst the sun shines; it seems that the big 3 won't return until December; that's a lot of races to rack up the wins. So we should get some good racing.

In the women's it's going to be another Dutch domination; the best of the rest is likely to be Honsinger, unless Cant can recover some form. Then there are the MTB-ers, who haven't got the Olympics on the horizon.

I'm a bit more optimistic about the Dutch dominance being challenged in the women's events. Honsinger and Vas should improve comparatively well, both being relative newcomers. And if Evie Richards can carry this year's progression from MTB over to cross, she could be a major force?

For my sins, I'm a Kastelijn fan so really enjoyed watching her win in Beringen. I've never been able to watch the early season races before. Is this a course she usualy does well on (i.e. no mud:)?

And a question for native dutch speakers. After watching her interview, does Van Anrooij have a particular accent?

Kastelijn is good on courses with lots of climbing - and not too technical.....that's were she tends to fall down (quite often literally).

I must admit, I'll be fascinated by how Evie will go on her return to CX; if she makes similar progress that she has on the MTB, then she will be right there. I think she only did about 5-6 races last season, and still finished top 7 in the Worlds, on a course that was not suited to her skills.

What's the general view on the Beringen circuit? I know that many people like it, but for me it's a bit of a lull. Not enough cross, not enough mountain biking. And I admit I haven't seen the whole men's race yet, but generally it gets decided pretty quickly. The best climbers make the difference in the beginning and then they keep the margins.

And I think this year being earlier it was even worse. In muddy conditions it would probably be a bit better (although in some parts very dangerous).

What's the general view on the Beringen circuit? I know that many people like it, but for me it's a bit of a lull. Not enough cross, not enough mountain biking. And I admit I haven't seen the whole men's race yet, but generally it gets decided pretty quickly. The best climbers make the difference in the beginning and then they keep the margins.

And I think this year being earlier it was even worse. In muddy conditions it would probably be a bit better (although in some parts very dangerous).
The highlighted sentence is definitely how i'd look at it. With the way races seem to be changing in belgium (partly through Erwin Vervecken being involved with the Trofee Veldrijden, Ethias Cross and formally Soudal Classics) i'm not sure what one defines as a typical CX course now, but I think this is far from one. Whereas I do like some of the new courses we've seen over the past three or four seasons, i'm not too keen on this one.

ASK THE COMMUNITY