• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
World Cup started with a victory from Wout van Aert. After a fall on a set of starts in the first half of the race, van Aert managed to pull back a disadvantage of 30 seconds to the front group where Michael Vanthourenhout went solo shortly after and when the regroup was done, van Aert soloed to victory taking advantage of an error of Vanthourenhout on the sand pit, which prevented him from following the World Champion wheel.

In the ladies, Sophie de Boer won a three riders sprint with Katerina Nash and Katie Compton, a very entertaining race where de Boer was nearly off the contention for victory on the last lap and a half with the efforts of Nash and Compton.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't able to watch the US crosses, but it looks like Van Aert is off with a dominant start of the season again. Hopefully Van Der Poel can make things a bit more exciting when he arrives on the scene.

Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Wasn't able to watch the US crosses, but it looks like Van Aert is off with a dominant start of the season again. Hopefully Van Der Poel can make things a bit more exciting when he arrives on the scene.

On hilly route like the Kapelmuur, Michael Vanthourenhout can push Wout to his limits though. He was really close. ;) He claims he can already beat Wout on such routes but on flatter ones, Wout with his stronger body, would always have the edge, this season however.

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/724226MICHAELVANTHOURENHOUTnieuwsblad20160921.png (Nieuwsblad article)

How could you guys see it? I've been struggling to find a stream but the only one that worked had a big pop up right in the middle of it dealing with cookies. :mad:

Anyway Mathieu was as usual much too careful when he talked about his come back. He was supposed to be in top shape in mid-October. :p

I also think that the Belgian press should stop hyping Van Aert. He deserves recognition but since his win at the Schaal Sels (and all summer long after his excellent performances on the road) it was all about whether Van Aert would be unbeatable or not while they all easily should have guessed that Mathieu could handle him, unless he didn't recover from his knee injuries, but those were quickly considered benign. Actually, wondering whether Mathieu is unstoppable or not is a more adapted question but I still see Wout winning some races from Mathieu too on the odd occasion, why not Michael Vanthourenhout beating the two on a hilly route. :)

Echoes said:
How could you guys see it? I've been struggling to find a stream but the only one that worked had a big pop up right in the middle of it dealing with cookies. :mad:

The ones from procyclinglive.com were good. The direct link from RTVDRENTHE was stopping a bit so I changed to the SEBN one. The image quality was poorer but was fluid and in full screen there were no pop-ups.

Ricco' said:
The ones from procyclinglive.com were good. The direct link from RTVDRENTHE was stopping a bit so I changed to the SEBN one. The image quality was poorer but was fluid and in full screen there were no pop-ups.

Thanks. I also tried the one on SEBN but didn't managed to make it full screen as hard as I tried. Good that it worked for you. :)

Another win for Mathieu Van der Poel on the Berencross in Meulebeke. Van Aert was in an offday and couldn't be a contender from the start. Van der Poel went early on the attack and formed a group with Vanthourenhout, Bosmans and Iserbyt. Vanthourenhout had mechanical problems and Van der Poel and Bosmans went alone and the former world champion left behind his team mate on the last lap, winning with a small advantage. Iserbyt rounded up the podium. Van Aert finished in 9th place.

Ya I guess I was wrong about today :) Van der Poel lost a lot of time even after the bike replacement. I wonder if Van Aert might have caught him anyway.

But I agree it would be nice to see them duke it out next weekend without a mechanical deciding.

For the time being Van Aert has a good lead in the BVV trofee and Van der Pol won't catch him in the world cup unless Van Aert misses a race probably.

Can Wout repeat winning all of the major classifications?

Micheal Vanthourenhout won today at the Polderscross in Kruibeke. Wout van Aert was second after small mechanical problem that he could keep riding with stopped him from staying with Vanthourenhout in the closing stages. Corne van Kessel won the sprint for 3rd from Laurens Sweeck, Phillip Walsleben and Stan Godrie.

Jolien Verschueren took the win in the womens race, with Maud Kapitheijns in second and Ellen van Loy.

In the Junior mens race, there were no belgians. Brit Thomas Pidcock won with a gap of 33 secs over frenchman Antoine Benoist. Fellow brit Daniel Tullet came in 57 secs down on the winner in third.

Started watching the mens race part way through, but it was a good battle. Looking forward to the pit in Zonhoven tommorrow! :D

Re: Re:

StephenC2020 said:
Ricco' said:
What a race in Zonhoven. Van der Poel won in the sprint after a tough battle between him and Van Aert.

Phenomenal battle today, great to see no mechanical problems for the front two. This season is going to be fun if both can stay healthy!
If Sweeck can improve that tiny bit, both him and Vanthourenhout be more consistant and van der Haar get fully fit after his injry, then the rest of this season will be really exciting. Of course therehas not been a race with full mud conditions (Iowa doesn't count as they widened the course, and van der Poel wasn't there), then that might add a completely different aspect into the racing. Someone like Vantournout, Pawels, Adams or van Kessel might be racing for the podium positions aswell.

Toon Aerts (Bel) took victory in the Euro Champs on sunday. A surprise victory, but the peloton (it was more like a crit on grass than a cross race) showed no reaction when he attacked. Twan van der Brand just set a steady tempo on the front, rather than chasing him down immediately. Lars van der Haar was up there at the front for some of the race, but could only manage 7th

Thalita de Jong (Ned) won the Elite Womens race. There was a crash at the start involving brits Wyman and Brammeier. Wyman has a broken collarbone, with Brammeier just a bruised face and several stitches. No title defence for Sanne Cant.

Quiten Hermans (Bel) took a bunch sprint in the U23 men, meaning he successfully defended his title.

Chiara Teocchi (Ita) won alone by 11 seconds in the U23 women. No title defence from anyone in this category as in was won by Van Driessche last year.

Tom Pidcock (Gbr) also won alone in the Junior men after winning in Zonhoven two weeks ago. He came 8th last year. Jens Dekker has moved up to U23 so couldnt defend his title.

Today is Koppenbergcross day. Shame its a week day as it is a brilliant race. This time it is on a new course, and finishes at the top of the Koppenberg.

Van der Poel won the 4th race of the Superprestige in a dominant fashion. He attacked on the 2nd lap, opened up a gap of 9 seconds to Van Aert and then the World Champion had his usual mechanical problem which made him lose many more seconds. After this MVP was on control and won a handful of seconds in each lap to finish with an advantage of more than 1 minute.

Re:

Ricco' said:
Damn, what a race in Namur! Best race of the season and best weekend too, since yesterday's Scheldecross was great too!

If somebody wants to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pW7HVT7EtI
Probably the best weekend of racing this season so far. I can't think of any others that equal this one this year, however, Namur, Scheldecross and Zonhoven have to the top three before the Kurstperiode starts.

I was there. It really was amazing. What a talent is Mathieu Van der Poel but what a fighting spirit has Wout Van Aert and even Kevin Pauwels fought till the end. But this shoulder to shoulder between Mathieu & Wout. Well in Mathieu's family, we know shoulder to shoulder is, of course. :p

I'm really proud to have seen it live, something to remember when I'm old. So fond of this duo and this rivalry. Who wishes to see them switch to the road after that? Just get interested in cyclocross and enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS