• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My take:

*****MVP
****Aerts, Van Aert (due to Mathieu mechanical or injury)
***Aerts, Van Aert
**Vanthourenhout (assuming he's ok from the allergic reaction this weekend
*Sweeck, Van der Haar

*****Brand, Vos
****Cant, Betsema
***Compton
**Worst, Sels, Brammier
*Arzuffi, Van Loy, Lechner, Neff

Re:

jaylew said:
My take:

*****MVP
****Aerts, Van Aert (due to Mathieu mechanical or injury)
***Aerts, Van Aert
**Vanthourenhout (assuming he's ok from the allergic reaction this weekend
*Sweeck, Van der Haar

*****Brand, Vos
****Cant, Betsema
***Compton
**Worst, Sels, Brammier
*Arzuffi, Van Loy, Lechner, Neff

I'd drop Vos and Betsema a row, but other than that, this looks good.

Though, as usual with the women this year, the course could play a significant role and I don't know what the conditions will be, nor do I remember the course very well. Only that it's flat.

Got a bit of a question.
To what extend can teammates actually help each other? It doesn't seem like pulling at the front has quite the same effect as in a road race. Swapping bikes with a teammate? But of course the riders it would make sense sacrificing would probably be far behind those it wouldn't.

You don't generally see a whole lot of teamwork going on in cross. It's not like road where in every race, you race for a team win. Guys are generally racing for themselves and teammates chase each other down if they're able in virtually every race. Worlds is one of the few races where you see a bit more teamwork. Generally it's of the let a gap go or set a hard pace for awhile variety but it's still not all that common or overt. I'm sure it's happened but I don't know if I've ever seen a bike swap.

Barring some unforeseen circumstances, the top three placings in men look to be certain
1. MVP
2. Aerts
3. Van Aert
For women, it is not so certain
1.Vos
2. Brand
3. Betsema
Cant looks to be out of form this year but may surprise. Maybe Compton can come good. Its all down to the form on the day

Re:

jaylew said:
Sounds like the course will be very fast, flattish, and icy with possibility for crashes. Disappointing.

It's very hard to see MVDP lose this one. Still it will be interesting to see how the race is going to unfold. I hope Aerts and/or Van Aert can hold his wheel for a few laps. If not, they might start looking at each other and we'll be looking at an hour long training ride.

Vanthourenhout for the win!
Just kidding. He is a good rider, but yeah, not gonna happen. We all know how this is going to play out.
It would be a real shame if MVDP does not win this race. The odd chance it does not happen is enough to make me tune in.
I just hope they are not trudging through a tonne of mud at walking pace to make it happen.

Re:

jaylew said:
You don't generally see a whole lot of teamwork going on in cross. It's not like road where in every race, you race for a team win. Guys are generally racing for themselves and teammates chase each other down if they're able in virtually every race. Worlds is one of the few races where you see a bit more teamwork. Generally it's of the let a gap go or set a hard pace for awhile variety but it's still not all that common or overt. I'm sure it's happened but I don't know if I've ever seen a bike swap.

Guess we just saw an example of that in the junior race...

Re:

jaylew said:
Brand was strongest but cross isn't just about strength. Sanne rode a clean race and three falls for Brand was too much. Crazy that her own dad may have cost her the title.

Cant was physically on par with Brand imo. Sanne totally nailed it both technically and tactically though. That was class. Great race, basically like 80% of the women's races this year.

As for the last crash, that was her own fault not her dad's, but yeah, still a painful moment.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Just the one off camber section where MVDP was able to ride whereas others made a mistake or had to get off made the difference
That and MvdP had more power clearly. Because first time Van Aert could come back. 2nd time gap only got bigger (until MvdP was safe and he eased off in the final lap).
Hard to ride against somebody more powerful AND more technical skilled.