• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pidcock tweeted that he'd never been so cold, and was basically unable to function in the last lap. Not a good day for the slighter riders. See also Kay and Kastelijn going backwards in the women's race perhaps. Will be interesting to see how much Evie Richards can improve over the next few weeks.

Logic, what is wrong with Toon Aerts?

Is it just something undefinable for you or are there stories I haven't heard?
I think he's a sore loser (not so much towards MvdP or WvA, but towards the "lesser gods") and a bad winner. There were some instances in the past where he was rather entitled towards Michael Vantourenhout, he was acting like a real douchebag. As if he somehow had this status where another rider from another team should pave the way for him and scoot out of the way when he wants to pass. I think the context was that Vantourenhout was holding up the bunch, in order for a teammate to create a gap (a perfectly normal tactic) and it didn't suit Aerts so he started scolding at Vantourenhout because he didn't move out of the way for him. While he himself does stuff like that on a weekly basis. Stuff like that. On the other hand, when things don't go his way, he'll start acting like a Calimero, and he'll be the first to act indignant when people "forget about him" when talking about van der Poel or van Aert (as if he thinks he's on their level, because once in a million years he manages to beat them).

As mr. Horse would say: No sir, i don't like it.

First off may I say, what a race! This is what I have been waiting to see for some time now. It was always going to happen on a deep muddy course like this one wasn’t it? Toon tends to have outliers on this type of terrain.

Regarding the “who was stronger” argument, it’s a shame we even have to have it because it takes away from the epic battle. However, it’s an inevitable argument so here are my thoughts on it.

There are a few things to consider here.
Firstly, I think there’s a tendency to underestimate the energy and toll it takes both physically and mentally to ride around with a puncture, especially in a high pressure situation like today. The commentators mentioned it as well. Even on a flat surface it’s impossible to get into any type of rhythm and every peddle stroke is harder than the prior. After getting the rhythm taken out you now have to get back on a new bike and into a rhythm knowing that your rival has left you behind. Now imagine it on this type of terrain.

I think a puncture is more likely to be the result of pure bad luck in comparison to a crash, at least in this particular situation and for these particular set of riders. Unless you’re saying Mathieu’s material isn’t good enough or that he didn’t pick the right lines to race on. Both of which are highly unlikely if you ask me.

Twice Mathieu had a puncture at unfortunate moments though it’s never an opportune moments in a direct duel such as today.

A crash on the other hand can often be a direct result of being way over your limits due to the pressure being put on by your rival. This, I believe was the case for Toon.

As far as being “fresh” goes, Toon didn’t race yesterday while Mathieu did. I understand fully that it’s Mathieu’s own choice so that can’t be used as an excuse, and rightly so. However, it remains a fact that Toon was fresher. But hey, with Mathieu’s superiority you have to be smart and pick your moments, which he did and I hope he does it more often if this is the result.

I am definitely not taking away anything from Toon, he took the race to Mathieu today and was definitely on par with him. He came back to Mathieu without a puncture too in the last round or was it the round before that (?). I wouldn’t have minded at all if either of them took the win. They both deserved it at the end of the day. I hope Toon can maintain this form and who knows maybe one day beat Mathieu in a similar duel.

Beastly ride by both guys, my respect.

Last edited:
Both Toon and MVDP did a great race today, however in the end Mathieu's superior technical skills granted him the win against Aerts which just fell too much.

Pidcock doing one of his best races of the season, he really seems to like the harder courses and like MVDP he also raced yesterday. Great podium for Van Kessel too.

Apparently rain is predicted for the next week which should make for more exciting races.

Both Toon and MVDP did a great race today, however in the end Mathieu's superior technical skills granted him the win against Aerts which just fell too much.

I was starting to think that maybe Toon had this race; but mistakes at the end of the race are due to tiredness and not being able to complete difficult sections when at the limit. Mathieu managed to complete these sections while also tired, because his skills/technique are better. That is part of the sport. In fact, we've seen Mathieu suffer from this a year or so ago in XCO when crashing whilst on the limit chasing Nino.

so many nice crosses this/next week. Zolder, Loenhout, Diegem, Baal... Gonna be epic
That's one of the best things about the last week of the year. It's christmas, you stuff yourself with food and then watch cyclocross. I love it.

Looking at the restults of the recent women's races, what's up with Sanne Cant this year? She seems far from being her dominant self

Aerts has a broken rib... but it's not "moved" (i assume the rib is still in its natural position, just cracked). Unsure if he'll race the coming races.

Van Aert has been given the medical green light to start in Loenhout this week. He doesn't expect much, his condition compared to his teammates who are preparing for the road season, is good, but that's meaningless compared to the guys who are currently in the middle of their cross season. There will be little to no specific cross training sessions this winter, the road season is the only goal.

Last edited:
That's one of the best things about the last week of the year. It's christmas, you stuff yourself with food and then watch cyclocross. I love it.

Looking at the restults of the recent women's races, what's up with Sanne Cant this year? She seems far from being her dominant self
Dominant self? She hasn't been dominant for quite a while. Last year already the Dutch women dominated not Cant. Until they got to the worlds Cant suddenly woke up.

This year though she doesn't even wake up near the championships anymore. I think she is simply being outclassed atm.

Dominant self? She hasn't been dominant for quite a while. Last year already the Dutch women dominated not Cant. Until they got to the worlds Cant suddenly woke up.

This year though she doesn't even wake up near the championships anymore. I think she is simply being outclassed atm.
Ha you're right. I just checked the results of the past seasons and realized she didn't win that much (especially last season), she was just there or thereabouts most of the time. For some reason I remembered her winning a lot more. This year, as you said, she's a lot further off the pace. Let's see if she can turn it around by the time the WC comes around.

With MVDP winning every race I think I prefer watching womens races lately. A lot more competitive.

The women’s races are a lot more exciting that’s for sure. There are several serious contenders in every race.

With that being said, the men’s races have had at least some more excitement of late. Mathieu recently “lost” his first race since he started racing this season and the last race was a nail-biting duel until Aerts crashed.

Much better conditions today than for the weekend, but I suspect the course will deteriorate as the guys get to the ned of their race.
Especially in that chicane some of the girls are taking on foot.

Nice victory for Brand. Managed to weaken Vos with acceleration before the section she got stuck in the mud.
Entertaining race.

Last edited:
Mathieu expects Wout in the top 5 already tomorrow. That'd be pretty spectacular considering the circumstances, but on the other hand, few will be able to better predict what van Aert is capable of better than him. But either Stybar has been wasting his time, or top 5 for Wout might be rather ambitious imho.

Mathieu expects Wout in the top 5 already tomorrow. That'd be pretty spectacular considering the circumstances, but on the other hand, few will be able to better predict what van Aert is capable of better than him. But either Stybar has been wasting his time, or top 5 for Wout might be rather ambitious imho.
Merlier also predicts he will be chasing a top 5. It will be interesting to see how he does and what the conditions will be. The course isnt as sandy as today and we have seen some really muddy races there before. I do wonder if it is muddy and there will be running, then maybe he might struggle due to his leg injury.

Aerts kept his series lead today despit his ribs and first lap crash. Interestingly Vanthourenhout has moved ahead of Iserbyt and is now second in the World Cup standings. Aerts also wont start tomorrow.