• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Race Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's an interesting idea. The GravelCross World Cup......a mix of 1 and 2 day events made up of stages, like in Rallying.....(Tongue in cheek)

And funnily enough, recently whilst watching one of the races, it struck me that CX only has 1 format. Take MTB XC for example; there is Marathon, Olympic, Short Track plus Eliminator. And the occasional MTB Stage race.

But, in all honesty, I'm not sure there is any chance of changes/ additions to the sport. What it needs is for someone outside Flanders to get a grip of it. A pity Flanders Classics got the rights to the World Cup and not an international company.
Flanders Classics knows they need to broaden their horizons with CX for it to remain relevant. It's an organization with a lot of know-how and they'll want to do this right. They also have a lot of resources, so i'm not sure some foreign company that doesn't know the first thing about CX (and likely has less resources and know-how) would be a better fit. I personally don't agree with some of the stuff FC is doing, but at least they will commit to it. They are already planning on branching out the WC all over Europe, so obviously they know what's up.

That doesn't mean it can't coexist with other formats though. There are a lot of classifications, maybe one of those could diversify and organize their races around gravel tracks, instead of trying to compete with a bigger cup classification which is more or less he same thing. It might also function as a gateway towards CX.

As for Bolder's statement, i'm not really on the same page about CX not being able to become an international sport. It was an international sport only a few decades ago. On past pages, Dekker Tifosi and myself posted some links to CX races from the 80s and 90s. There were German, Austrian, Italian, Swiss, Dutch, Belgian, Czech, French... riders in the top 10. I do believe Mountainbike becoming an olympic sport in '96 did have a big influence on CX's demise.

Knowing guys like Sagan, van Aert, Alaphilippe, van der Poel all came from CX... personally i don't think it's a coincidence. And i think CX could benefit from that as well if they play their cards right.

Flanders Classics knows they need to broaden their horizons with CX for it to remain relevant. It's an organization with a lot of know-how and they'll want to do this right. They also have a lot of resources, so i'm not sure some foreign company that doesn't know the first thing about CX (and likely has less resources and know-how) would be a better fit. I personally don't agree with some of the stuff FC is doing, but at least they will commit to it. They are already planning on branching out the WC all over Europe, so obviously they know what's up.

That doesn't mean it can't coexist with other formats though. There are a lot of classifications, maybe one of those could diversify and organize their races around gravel tracks, instead of trying to compete with a bigger cup classification which is more or less he same thing. It might also function as a gateway towards CX.

As for Bolder's statement, i'm not really on the same page about CX not being able to become an international sport. It was an international sport only a few decades ago. On past pages, Dekker Tifosi and myself posted some links to CX races from the 80s and 90s. There were German, Austrian, Italian, Swiss, Dutch, Belgian, Czech, French... riders in the top 10. I do believe Mountainbike becoming an olympic sport in '96 did have a big influence on CX's demise.

Knowing guys like Sagan, van Aert, Alaphilippe, van der Poel all came from CX... personally i don't think it's a coincidence. And i think CX could benefit from that as well if they play their cards right.
Thanks, I didn’t know all that. My cx knowledge, such as it is, only goes back about 15 years. Good point about Mtb. I personally enjoy watching cx, but I think it’s got a lot of untapped potential to broaden its base.

Am I evil for hoping that someone will go face first into the mud? Close call for D. Vanthourenhout(sp?)
Judging by his Instagram story, Yorben van Tichelt ended up face first into the mud. He was completely covered head to toe in thick black mud after his practice laps!

Great ride by all the young riders in the top ten of the women's race. Six riders in the top 10 25 years old or younger with Kay and Vas both being under 20 on the podium!

Ugh, worst possible winner. Sweeck clearly better and stronger, but he had to close a 18s gap that Aerts got "for free".

Pidcock still not being able to really show he's going to be a force to be reckoned with in the near future. Also wondering about Arensman. A few years ago you would have thought he was going to be a "decent" crosser. But then he finished 2nd in l'Avenir somewhat out of the blue two years ago. Now i'm wondering if he's riding CX just to keep fit in the winter or not. Not really making strides as a CX rider though he turned 20 recently. Last year on the road wasn't a success either for him (mainly due to injuries). With his build (he's really tall), i also don't know how realistic is will be for him to become a GC rider, if that 's what he's aiming for.

Last edited:
If that's true that's somewhat remarkable. I would have though he would have won one over the past 5 or so years, but now that you mention it... it could be true.
The only one he's won is the Waaslandcross as a first year elite when it was part of the BpostTrofee. That year the race was part of the series due to the Belgian champs being a Lille, so it took that spot on the calendar. In the rest of its recent history has been a Soudal Classics

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts