• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, backtracking is allowed between the two yellow flags on the pit lane.

So of course the rule is to blame to things like this. It must be expected that the riders are giving 110% and over they limits and cannot fully think on a situation like this. Allowing riders to reverse and go on the opposite direction of someone going 25 or 30 km/h is bound to result in disgrace. Even more in shitty pit lanes like the ones we had in Brussels, with trees on the middle of the race line and on the middle of the pit line. And if you ban backtracking completely, the amount of mechanicals happening on the pit lane must be like what, less than 1% of the total mechanicals for a year?
It's not much, but we have seen in the past with the likes of Van Aert at Koksijde a couple of seasons ago. I don't see anything wrong with backtracking as a rule, however today was obviously a problem it can cause at therefore when doing so, one needs to take care when doing so. I feel what happened today was just that Kastelijn misjudged the speed/how close Verdonschot was and could even of happened if the backtracking rule wasn't in place (i.e a rider running round the course in the correct direction with a mechanical, attempts to move off the general racing line and is unseen by a fast approaching rider who is taking a different line or fans/trees/barriers block the view of the exit of the corner).

The course at Brussel looked interesting with a very varied mix of quick parts on tarmac and hard pack and slippery treacherous mud sections. This combination must present a tricky trade-off in the choice of tires and tire pressure.

Did anyone hear or observe what tires MVDP, Merlier, van Kessel and others opted for and what pressures they were on?

The course at Brussel looked interesting with a very varied mix of quick parts on tarmac and hard pack and slippery treacherous mud sections. This combination must present a tricky trade-off in the choice of tires and tire pressure.

Did anyone hear or observe what tires MVDP, Merlier, van Kessel and others opted for and what pressures they were on?
They showed Van Der Poel with a mud tyre on the front at the star line, however Niki Brammier said on the start line that most would likely choices would vary between muds and intermediates. Possibly some mixing and matching with an intermediate on the back

Reactions: Barkintheeye
They showed Van Der Poel with a mud tyre on the front at the star line, however Niki Brammier said on the start line that most would likely choices would vary between muds and intermediates. Possibly some mixing and matching with an intermediate on the back
Like Typhoons in the back and Rhinos front? The off-camber sections looked really difficult. Not often to see so many mistakes by these riders.

Van Kessel punctured right?

Like Typhoons in the back and Rhinos front? The off-camber sections looked really difficult. Not often to see so many mistakes by these riders.

Van Kessel punctured right?
Yes, that kind of thing, although those on challenge would probably get away with a Baby Limus and Grifo as the muddy parts weren't deep.
In terms of Punctures, I'm not sure as I didn't end up watching the whole race.

Kastelijn has looked technically poor in recent weeks; lots of basic mistakes. Needs a summer working on her flaws.....

To me it seems that all the criticism and "hate" online and on the press that she is receiving in the past weeks for her mistakes is only contributing to make the problem even bigger, she seems without any confidence. She was clearly frustrated with herself after the crash on the offcamber descent and the sight of her crossing the finish line in tears was heartbreaking.

Dunno. Don't know how big she is.
It seems like she could be smuggled into the movie theater under a sweatshirt. But i can't find any specifics... her Twitter profile picture for reference:

hjjQziC__400x400.jpg

Reactions: RedheadDane
Can you be smuggled into the movies under a sweatshirt?

Have you been?

That is a theory I am yet to test.

Two thumbs shorter than you, according to my calculations.
You're not that small, at all... big enough for dirt and road.

I don't actually ride myself, apart from the basic get to places stuff. I've just said that cross looks like fun, I have also said that I'd probably be *** at it.
Look... I like watching people suffer! I don't like suffering myself.

Yes, yes... I think I remember walking the plank being your favourite pastime.
Seeing that has just made my evening. I might have to watch Peter Pan again.

Now, if we could find out the heights of the ladies standing next to her...
I'm assuming they're actually standing on the top-step with her, otherwise she's really short!
Well Ffion James on the left is really tall, and Sophie Thackray on the right is quite tall. For some reason in the uk national series, our podiums don't have steps and are just flat, so that is the actual heights.

I hadn't looked up the numbers, but apparently Thibau Nys has won 15 out of 18 races this season so far.

Curious to see in the future if his current reign is based on technique, a more professional entourage than his competitors (including training schedule), or also physical talent. It's difficult to judge at that age. I can imagine having the best equipment, trainers, expertise and parents that live and work in the same branche (rhythm), make a big impact.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts