• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
K chill. This is Mathieu’s second CX race.

Impressive? Hell yes. New King? Not by a long shot.
Clipboard.jpg

I only caught the tail end of the men's race (saw the women's, however). My impression is that WvA and MVDP burned a lot of matches in the compressed, and late, road season.

Pidcock finished a very strong third yesterday and was gaining on MVP and Iserbyt so today's win, while maybe not expected, wasn't a huge surprise. I think (again not having watched the race much) that MVP's power was probably neutralized a bit by the mud, although I would have expected the lighter Iserbyt to be up there, too...

I only caught the tail end of the men's race (saw the women's, however). My impression is that WvA and MVDP burned a lot of matches in the compressed, and late, road season.

Pidcock finished a very strong third yesterday and was gaining on MVP and Iserbyt so today's win, while maybe not expected, wasn't a huge surprise. I think (again not having watched the race much) that MVP's power was probably neutralized a bit by the mud, although I would have expected the lighter Iserbyt to be up there, too...
Iserbyt completely blew the start and never got in the race. He lost +/- 25 positions (i counted them in slow motion just now) by the time they turned onto the mud.

It's Gavere? I thought it was Havere. Flemish spelling... just doesn't make sense.

And they couldn't give Pidcock a few moments to at least get a wet wash-cloth to his face (and take his helmet off)? But nice race.
Why on earth would it be Havere? You pronounce a "g" so you write Gavere. Please don't listen to how sportsmen pronounce things, most of them can't even pronounce their own name.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Why on earth would it be Havere? You pronounce a "g" so you write Gavere. Please don't listen to how sportsmen pronounce things, most of them can't even pronounce their own name.

Then how do you pronounce it? Coz the way the English commentators were pronouncing it, it sure sounded like an 'h' rather than a 'g'.
And I think we established that most people do in fact know how to pronounce their own names, they just tend to pronounce it based on the language of their actual nationality, rather than whatever nationality their name might have originated from, several generations ago. Also, what about someone like Lucy Van Der Haar? Could you blame her for maybe not being able to correctly pronounce her (new) surname?

Great win by Pidcock. He is a bit unlucky that he has to ride against MvdP and WVA in his first years with the pro's because I don't think he is less talented than these guys. Just as them he would have been World champ at a very young age last year.

Last edited:
Then how do you pronounce it? Coz the way the English commentators were pronouncing it, it sure sounded like an 'h' rather than a 'g'.
And I think we established that most people do in fact know how to pronounce their own names, they just tend to pronounce it based on the language of their actual nationality, rather than whatever nationality their name might have originated from, several generations ago. Also, what about someone like Lucy Van Der Haar? Could you blame her for maybe not being able to correctly pronounce her (new) surname?
It's a soft g, but I can't actually think of any English words where a soft g is used.

Although in the province West-Flandres they pronounce it Havere. They mix up their g's and h's.

I don't know how English commentators pronounce it, neither is it relevant. Why on earth would you take the way English people pronounce a Dutch word as a sign of how a word should be spelled, lol. Seriously.

4 seconds into the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzpWZ1y6R0w

And no, we established no such thing.

I don't know how English commentators pronounce it, neither is it relevant. Why on earth would you take the way English people pronounce a Dutch word as a sign of how a word should be spelled, lol. Seriously.

4 seconds into the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzpWZ1y6R0w

And no, we established no such thing.

Can't actually see the video...

Well, I think I'll continue assuming that the way someone pronounces their own name is the correct way, even if it's not the way it's pronounced in the country the name is originally from. What if someone named 'Hansen' moved to France, and their descendants continued living there? Eventually the 'h' sound would disappear, because that's just how French works...

Can't actually see the video...

Well, I think I'll continue assuming that the way someone pronounces their own name is the correct way, even if it's not the way it's pronounced in the country the name is originally from. What if someone named 'Hansen' moved to France, and their descendants continued living there? Eventually the 'h' sound would disappear, because that's just how French works...
Yes, that's how French works but it isn't how the language of origin works. That's like saying that how the French pronounce an English Word is correct, because that's how French works.

On top of that, in many cases it's not even a different language, just a local dialect.

TRENDING THREADS