• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Iserbyt may hate pidcock for nicking precious points… although iserbyt does long stronger today
A race is a race and i wouldn't expect any gifts between the two of them as they have a bit of history in sprint finishes. Like Pidcock said in the interview, Iserbyt looked stronger but he was slightly more tactically aware in the finale.

He's better than he's been the past 3 years, i'm sure of it. On the other hand, with Mathieu in "normal" form, it would be a duel.

Agree on both points. MvdP looks very stiff and not in good shape physiologically. (Not necessarily endurance wise. I dunno about the wisdom of continuing but he knows how he feels and it's only his second race back.

Wout is riding like he has something to prove.

Agree on both points. MvdP looks very stiff and not in good shape physiologically. (Not necessarily endurance wise. I dunno about the wisdom of continuing but he knows how he feels and it's only his second race back.

To be honest, I thought he looked not his usual self on the first lap......we've watched him often enough on different bikes, and he has a way of riding; it wasn't there today.

Reactions: Bolder and noob
I love noticing the movements of riders. Pidcock moves similar to Alaphilippe, but not with the same weasle energy quality. And he seems to do wome weird things like last time he couldn't open his champagne and today he almost fell on the podium :tearsofjoy:

I have no idea how Wout manages to look graceful with all that dirt, but there's something about how he moves that's looks almost like dancing.

I am ridiculously fascinated with cyclocross! It's such an incredibly "broad skills" sport and one needs so extremely many different talents to be good at it! And the courses changes completely with the weather. Also it feels more "intimate" than cycling. (And still it's hilarious with the muddy faces :D)

I am ridiculously fascinated with cyclocross! It's such an incredibly "broad skills" sport and one needs so extremely many different talents to be good at it! And the courses changes completely with the weather. Also it feels more "intimate" than cycling. (And still it's hilarious with the muddy faces :D)

You need to watch mountain biking; their skills are another level compared to Cyclocross.

Reactions: jmdirt
A race is a race and i wouldn't expect any gifts between the two of them as they have a bit of history in sprint finishes. Like Pidcock said in the interview, Iserbyt looked stronger but he was slightly more tactically aware in the finale.
I’m very aware of their history, been watching that with interest for years. I’m just glad Eli didn’t steer Tom into the barriers this time but credit it to him, he kept it straight and it was a cracking sprint finish. I was hoping for a similar one between the (other) big two but it wasn‘t to be.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
if you haven’t seen a pro race live & COVID permitting, go watch one. You won’t believe how quick they ride over ground you slip n slide in your welllies

• Love
Reactions: jmdirt and noob
I’m very aware of their history, been watching that with interest for years. I’m just glad Eli didn’t steer Tom into the barriers this time but credit it to him, he kept it straight and it was a cracking sprint finish. I was hoping for a similar one between the (other) big two but it wasn‘t to be.
I've just looked back on CX24 to see all their results head to head and there aren't actually many where they finish on the same time after a drag race sprint. The one that springs to mind is Hamme in 2014. Diegem 2016 they finished on the same time after van der Poel sat up and van Aert caught him right on/after the line, but mostly they sprint for the corner before the finish and it seems van der Poel comes out on top in most situations.

There haven't been many situations on the road either. Only really Flanders last year has been the two of them against each other on their own.

Reactions: Mick Dundee

TRENDING THREADS