• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bad luck for Smith, amongst others. Had to ride on a borrowed bike after his failed to meet the UCI checks for some reason? Switching from SRAM to Shimano on the day of the race can't have helped his gear choices. Will admit to not knowing anything about Christen before today, but from the sounds of the post-race analysis, he's another young multi-disciplinary champion.

Women's U-23. My heart, as always, says Van Anrooij, but this looks like a good course for Van Empel. Unless Burquier continues to prove that she can ride on pretty much any type of terrain.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
I'd love to see Puck finally get a World title, but this course has nowhere for her to put her superior skills to good use. I think Burquier is the dark horse for this; she won't be starting at the back like in World Cups - and of course is a reigning World Champion - and has recently signed for Canyon alongside Lecomte.

Would love to know what really happened with Smith's original bikes; I think he's been riding Ribble/Sram but has had mechanical issues in a few races. And races the Worlds on Trek/Shimano......

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
I'd love to see Puck finally get a World title, but this course has nowhere for her to put her superior skills to good use. I think Burquier is the dark horse for this; she won't be starting at the back like in World Cups - and of course is a reigning World Champion - and has recently signed for Canyon alongside Lecomte.

Would love to know what really happened with Smith's original bikes; I think he's been riding Ribble/Sram but has had mechanical issues in a few races. And races the Worlds on Trek/Shimano......
According to Ian Field he's been lent soem Treks this weekend as the Ribbles fell foul to the UCI. If that's the case then I'm not sure how he's been able to get away with them in the world cups. It doesn't really make much sense as it's a CX bike that's been built specifically for cx. Meanwhile you've had riders like Ruby West riding on a Factor gravel bike which I'm not sure is on the UCI list. Likewise some of the American riders are on steel bikes from a relatively unknown brand which probably arent on the UCI list either.

Reactions: postmanhat
According to Ian Field he's been lent soem Treks this weekend as the Ribbles fell foul to the UCI. If that's the case then I'm not sure how he's been able to get away with them in the world cups. It doesn't really make much sense as it's a CX bike that's been built specifically for cx. Meanwhile you've had riders like Ruby West riding on a Factor gravel bike which I'm not sure is on the UCI list. Likewise some of the American riders are on steel bikes from a relatively unknown brand which probably arent on the UCI list either.
Curious to know what’s the name of manufacturer or frame builder of those American rider’s bikes you mentioned? Thx

Clipboard.jpg

Really pleased for Pieterse as well, but it did look to me like she cut right across that final steep bank causing Van Empel and Anrooij to come to a halt. Not at all suggesting she did deliberately, but it was a slightly disappointing way to decide to fantastic race for me.

On to the mens elite and as a massive Pidcock fan , I'd be happy for him to win, but he'll probably have more opportunities in the future. So I might almost prefer it if one of full-time CX riders takes their chance in the absence of the big two. Personal preference for Aerts, though I think Sweeck could go well here?

A quick little rap up of some racing stats from the 2022 CX WCs

1. Unsurprisingly a significant difference in speed men vs women;
Top 5 women (2 elite and 3 U23) would end up at around pos 30-35 in Junior Men / U23 men and be some 3-4% off the last pos in Elite men

2. Perhaps surprising to find top 3 U23 women to beat Brand/Vos
Albeit not exactly apples to apples (6 vs 7 laps and Vos being 2-3% faster on her fastest lap) still impressive riding by U23 women

3. Winner Junior women a top contender in WE / U23 W?
Backstedt's best lap would put her 3 in WE and 5 in U23. Average speed would put her 9 in U23 and 12 in WE however not all comparable.

4. Several Junior men should have been able to place well in U23

5. Massive gap to the rest for Men Elite
Best U23M potentially at #20 in Elite men. Between 4-7% gap to U23Junior men for every position

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158889944768951&set=p.10158889944768951&type=3

A quick little rap up of some racing stats from the 2022 CX WCs

1. Unsurprisingly a significant difference in speed men vs women;
Top 5 women (2 elite and 3 U23) would end up at around pos 30-35 in Junior Men / U23 men and be some 3-4% off the last pos in Elite men

2. Perhaps surprising to find top 3 U23 women to beat Brand/Vos
Albeit not exactly apples to apples (6 vs 7 laps and Vos being 2-3% faster on her fastest lap) still impressive riding by U23 women

3. Winner Junior women a top contender in WE / U23 W?
Backstedt's best lap would put her 3 in WE and 5 in U23. Average speed would put her 9 in U23 and 12 in WE however not all comparable.

4. Several Junior men should have been able to place well in U23

5. Massive gap to the rest for Men Elite
Best U23M potentially at #20 in Elite men. Between 4-7% gap to U23Junior men for every position

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158889944768951&set=p.10158889944768951&type=3
Interesting chart!

It seems it's not as surprising as it seems. Wanty-Intermarche weren't that bothered about the CX side of the team.
As Van Kessel & Hermans have ridden on the road for Wanty, will be interesting to see what they do. Mein rides on the road for Canyon-Sungod in the UK.
One assumes Zoe has got plenty of interest from teams for when she's allowed to sign for a pro team - seeing as she enjoys, and wants to continue CX I can think of a team which might suit.

TRENDING THREADS