• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems incredible that he's never won a World Cup......yet he's been a Belgian champion.

It will be a brave person to bet against the Dutch women winning every World Cup race......
I feel you might be right. I think Vas and Honsinger may get close with Clauzel possibly as well, but just not have it to win. It'll be interesting to see how the seasons of Vas, Pieterse and van Empel look now they're all racing. For instance last year they mainly just did world cups and championships.

Good that the men's race was just as exciting as the women's race yesterday. I thought at first with Vandenbosch going off the front we would see a repeat of the u23 worlds where Wyseure rode away while everyone looked at eachother. But this course has grown on me. It produces close racing, which I think is always better than someone riding away. I think the element of having Sweeck on another team definitely helps and it would be good to see if Brunner can convert his fourth into more decent results when/if he comes to europe post nationals, like the american riders often do.

It seems incredible that he's never won a World Cup......yet he's been a Belgian champion.

It will be a brave person to bet against the Dutch women winning every World Cup race......
I wouldn’t bet against it but Persico, Honsiger, Vas & Ferrand-Prevot do have an outside chance I guess? Line Burquier next year maybe. Backstedt on a super muddy course?!

Really enjoying watching Fem Van Empel's progress this year so far. Looked like she could match Brand on the stairs, is confident in her ability in the sprint now, and has added bunnyhopping to her skillset. Can't wait to see how the other young riders have improved. Speaking of which, Van Anrooij is back next Tuesday, as is Vos apparently.

EDIT - Van Anrooij is back even sooner, at Tabor on Sunday:)

Last edited:
Really enjoying watching Fem Van Empel's progress this year so far. Looked like she could match Brand on the stairs, is confident in her ability in the sprint now, and has added bunnyhopping to her skillset. Can't wait to see how the other young riders have improved. Speaking of which, Van Anrooij is back next Tuesday, as is Vos apparently.
Yeah Fem has been awesome. Really interested to see Van Anrooij and Pieterse back at it as well.

you'd think with all the shell money they'd be sending riders all over the place. no excuse for not sending riders to events now.
It's not making them awash with money, HSBC and Sky deals were at a much higher level. They are still looking to attract a higher level partner sponsor.
I believe there is a big hole to fill to over the last nine months since HSBC pulled out.
Personally I believe they should be investing heavily in cross, the Junior entry at last weeks National Series was pretty impressive. Even my local league junior entries have never been higher.
UK cross would really benefit from it becoming an Olympic sport enabling lottery funding to be invested in cross.

Personally I believe they should be investing heavily in cross, the Junior entry at last weeks National Series was pretty impressive. Even my local league junior entries have never been higher.
UK cross would really benefit from it becoming an Olympic sport enabling lottery funding to be invested in cross.

Yes, they probably should, but track is their 'thing', and doesn't look like changing. And XC MTB is Olympic, and we've hardly been awash with world class XC racers over the years. We're currently in a successful era, but what is coming up behind them?

And it has to be said that CX is used as a stepping stone to road racing, rather than MTB in many countries....

Dominating over Iserbyt? Possibly, but I’m not sure. Agree his road form has been super though.
He'll hopefully at least be closer to Iserbyt. Adding him to Sweeck and van der Haar should be good and hopefully make for less controlling by two (or 3 as it was last year) riders from one team. Once he got a bike with a chain on it, I don't think Ronhaar lost that much time in Fayetteville and also showed he could be up there in Beringen. Hopefully with luck in his side he can also have an effect on stopping the domination of the Sauces.

He'll hopefully at least be closer to Iserbyt. Adding him to Sweeck and van der Haar should be good and hopefully make for less controlling by two (or 3 as it was last year) riders from one team. Once he got a bike with a chain on it, I don't think Ronhaar lost that much time in Fayetteville and also showed he could be up there in Beringen. Hopefully with luck in his side he can also have an effect on stopping the domination of the Sauces.
Yeah Ronhaar’s laptimes were good and there’s also Nys to throw in as well. The controlling of Sweeck was hard to watch at times.