• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 136 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's always pushing and I feel his crashes are often ones where he slides out as he finds (and passes) the limit. One naturally puts ones arms out to steady oneself meaning thats often the first point of impact on the ground, but also his knee is another first point that contacts the ground first due it being obviously closer to the ground.
There was no need for him to push hard on the cobbles. He was comfortably in the lead. He's always crashing for no reason and then having knee and back issues. He has had several knee operations or "scopes" over the years due to these crashes. There is no need for him to take risks because when fit, he can pick his moments in safer locations during the race. He is his own worst enemy.

Interesting women's race. The first time Vas dropped off it seemed like she'd sort of fallen asleep which maybe contributed to the mistake in the sand. Having to chase back on then pushed her too far. Van Anrooij looking a little weaker than previous weeks, but maybe she was keeping a bit back for tomorrows race. van Alphen looked strong today and I think i've now finally got an idea of the difference between van Alphen and van der Heijden. They're almost identical! Betsema was just standard Betsema and rode like a diesel.

Shame about van der Poel's crash, but good to see he got back on an was able to get back to quite a decent finish. Pidcock does seem to be slightly above van der Haar, Iserbyt, etc. but it's interesting the others were able to gain some time back on him right at the end like in Kortrijk.

He's always pushing and I feel his crashes are often ones where he slides out as he finds (and passes) the limit. One naturally puts ones arms out to steady oneself meaning thats often the first point of impact on the ground, but also his knee is another first point that contacts the ground first due it being obviously closer to the ground.
Pidcock does seem to be slightly above van der Haar, Iserbyt, etc. but it's interesting the others were able to gain some time back on him right at the end like in Kortrijk.
Could that be because has a comfortable lead and lets off just a little?

Reactions: Gwbert
I very much doubt it. I know there is a lot of campaigning for some sort of special case for touring musicians, but political response seems to be that it is impossible. Welcome to the wonderful world of Brexit.
Interesting. Aren’t there work visas that are longer? Are do you have to have a contract with a European based team to do that? I thought I’d read that some U.S. pros lived in Spain or France (Girona, Nice) for most of the year? But maybe not?

There was no need for him to push hard on the cobbles. He was comfortably in the lead. He's always crashing for no reason and then having knee and back issues. He has had several knee operations or "scopes" over the years due to these crashes. There is no need for him to take risks because when fit, he can pick his moments in safer locations during the race. He is his own worst enemy.
Okay, being an MVDP fan has been a bit of a roller coaster the last 18 months or so, but let's ease up a bit here. He wasn't pushing - just lost focus for a moment and his front wheel along with it. This one (unfortunately) was not due to his ability and willingness to push the limits of speed and grip well past anyone else in CX. The guy has literally WON 150+ of his 200 or so Elite CX starts (there is no "Big 3") - so he sort of knows what the hell is doing out there. I just hope all is well and he lines up tomorrow because he is a helluva lot more exciting to watch ride CX bike than WVA or anyone else out there.

Her running is weak...she loses spots every time she has to get off the bike. And it's been this way as long as I've seen her race CX.
No. If you look at the pace, which possibly isn't the best indication as you can't see things like the heart rate, her running is comparable to other riders. It's just switching that to in stiffer soles of CX shoes and off road that is the difference.

TRENDING THREADS