• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It has to be said these crosses with the Big Three did exceed expectations. If only one of them started, he'd win by a minute. Now they have to fight each other and only one can win.

Each has his strength. MvdP has the best technique; WVA the best endurance; and Pidcock is at his best on a hilly course. Seeing three riders at this level at the same time is exceptional.

Fem van Empel posted on her Instagram that tomorrow is her first race with Jumbo, so she's definitely starting. Whether she'll be at the top of her game after 2 weeks of recovering, etc is a different matter. Also quite a blue European champs bike!

Perhaps she could have begun racing earlier, but simply didn't want to risk anything before the Jumbo move?

I don't expect her to be at her best tomorrow, but she has a week to get back into the rythm before the World Cup in Zonhoven.

Fem van Empel posted on her Instagram that tomorrow is her first race with Jumbo, so she's definitely starting. Whether she'll be at the top of her game after 2 weeks of recovering, etc is a different matter. Also quite a blue European champs bike!
Yeah, the last two days on Strava she posted a file of a cross training and of a short jog, as if to say, I'm fit to do this again.
This will actually be her first race in the European champion's jersey, funnily enough.

Perhaps she could have begun racing earlier, but simply didn't want to risk anything before the Jumbo move?
Just a few days ago she posted a pic of some kind of magnetic treatment on her knee, so I think she definitely wasn't fit to race before. Knee problems are not to be trifled with, you see that with Annemarie Worst as well, who is out again for the next few races.

I’m completely new to CX and it’s been amazing. I always thought I wouldn’t like it but I stumbled upon the stream for the first race of the holidays in Mol a week ago and have watched every race since.

Fantastic sport. Exceptionally fun to ride and even more so to watch. The format is excellent for TV with a condensed racing area and with lots of action and unexpected things that can change a race outcome. The “non-linearity” (back and forth between the leaders) of the races - like yesterday in Loenhout - makes it particularly exciting since you will never know what to expect next. Really looking forward to the World Championship in Hoogerheide!

The only thing I find that is lacking is team tactics. I think I've only seen Iserbyt and Vanthourenhout doing the 1-2 team tactics against others to some effect. Other will simply attack their teammmates or follow them when they attack, negating the effect of being in the same team. Its basically every person for themselves.

The only thing I find that is lacking is team tactics. I think I've only seen Iserbyt and Vanthourenhout doing the 1-2 team tactics against others to some effect. Other will simply attack their teammmates or follow them when they attack, negating the effect of being in the same team. Its basically every person for themselves.
Some riders would need teammates, like Pidcock & WVA. And when you’re as good as the Top 3 then teammates aren’t much use. I do remember verstrynge pulling for Sweeck awhile back?

And that's one of the reasons why CX is so great.

Yes, and Wout has been a good carrot for Tom to help get back to Mathieu’s wheel too. They’ve both made it virtually impossible for Mathieu to escape but I also think Mathieu is not quite 100%. One could argue the same for everyone else of course and that’s what’ll make Hoogerheide more exciting.

Ive rewatched a few of these excellent Christmas races and if you look closely, Wout always had a bit extra than the others, apart from Gavere, the only time where he was on the limit. The tell tale sign of his mouth agape and slobber from his chin to his chest. Like him or loathe him, there aren’t that many riders who can dig as deep.

Interesting they’re both skipping Sven’s cross today. Is that personal or just not fitting in with their training schedule?

Reactions: Monte Serra
Yes, and Wout has been a good carrot for Tom to help get back to Mathieu’s wheel too. They’ve both made it virtually impossible for Mathieu to escape but I also think Mathieu is not quite 100%. One could argue the same for everyone else of course and that’s what’ll make Hoogerheide more exciting.

Ive rewatched a few of these excellent Christmas races and if you look closely, Wout always had a bit extra than the others, apart from Gavere, the only time where he was on the limit. The tell tale sign of his mouth agape and slobber from his chin to his chest. Like him or loathe him, there aren’t that many riders who can dig as deep.

Interesting they’re both skipping Sven’s cross today. Is that personal or just not fitting in with their training schedule?

In Loenhout we saw that classic jaw drop of Van Aert again where he was going all in to catch Van der Poel. If Mathieu hadn’t made that last miss in the mud WVA would not have catched him. Then again, the mistakes will be there when you’re on your absolute limit, which of course Mathieu was, but Wout was under massive pressure.

TRENDING THREADS