• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 186 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RR, I didn't think it was boring, just very tactical. It was clear from the first quarter of lap one that the usual suspects were head and shoulders above the pack, with precious little separating them from each other. Naturally, tactics mattered. VdP played it well. I thought he might go right at the barriers, but he smartly waited for the sprint.

Who would have guessed Belgian pozzato making a tactical error in the finale. Played into VDP's hands

What did he do wrong? It would have always be a short sprint from lower speeds (beacause of the approach to the road), and it wouldn't matter if he was in the front or in the second position. MvDP just has this unparalleled 100-150m sprint starting from lower speeds.

Maybe he was to passive during the race and should try some longer attacks but I doubt he would distance MvDP.

Reactions: Third Time Lucky
FoNnzV9XkAMp076

What did he do wrong? It would have always be a short sprint from lower speeds (beacause of the approach to the road), and it wouldn't matter if he was in the front or in the second position. MvDP just has this unparalleled 100-150m sprint starting from lower speeds.

Maybe he was to passive during the race and should try some longer attacks but I doubt he would distance MvDP.
He slowes right down coming out of the final corner, almost to a standstill. Slower speed sprint is Van der poel strength (more explosive) . And then he didn't even watch VDP the whole time. He allowed VDP to get the jump on him.

Maybe WVA was too passive but honestly the course didn't allowed the best racing

Reactions: Wvv and Eeslliw
What did he do wrong? It would always be a short sprint from lower speeds (beacause of the approach to the road), and it wouldn't matter if he was in the front or in the second position. MvDP just has this unparalleled 100-150m sprint starting from lower speeds.

The only thing he could've done better was starting his sprint as soon as possible instead of trying to play games and looking around for Mathieu. It was quite obvious that it'll be hard to move up on the finish as the road was slightly twisty. I think he focused too much only on not letting MvdP go on the barriers (he accelerated just before them and stayed at the front) and didn't prepare himself mentally for the sprint while Mathieu knew exactly what to do on the final meters.

Reactions: Eeslliw

TRENDING THREADS