• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Tyres

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
G'day everyone.

I need a new set of clinchers race tyres (I have bad luck with punctures), but I don't know which tyres are the best ones to get. I currently have Vittoria Corsa Evo-CX's and I think they're the fastest clinchers Ive ridden on, but I find that all Vittoria tyres wear down real quickly. What does everyone reckon I should get [instead]?

Fred Thistle

BANNED
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I like schwalbe's-cheap ones for training...Blizzards seem to go good, slightly plasticy tread but wear well.... Stelvios are better, slightly more do$h...nice round profile and stickier

race on conti tubulars so can't say

on the puncture front- do you use a floor pump with a pressure guage- and check/inflate at least once weekly?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Wel I use Vittoria Tri-Comp for racing, but for training I'd use Hutchinson Fusion tires. They're not the cheapest but they're great for avoiding punctures. Mine got only punctured once in the last year! :D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
for short crits with a free lap if you flat i use either
vittora open corsa(open tubular)
or specialized s-works roubaix(open tubular)
these two and a few other open tubulars ride the fastest and corner best with good comfort there useless against flats or wear though. for road races where a flat can end your race i use lately continental 4000s tires very good balance of wear performance and puncture protection. im also fond of the new michelin pro3 though i hated all the old versions there are a few other good ones out there of course but those are my current favorites.

May 13, 2009
cycling.davenoisy.com
Heya - they're not the cheapest, but i've been really happy with my Black Chili Conti GP4000S tires - even use them as winter tires...rarely puncture, and quite long-lasting. Also, a very comfortable and grippy tire, and great for racing with a reasonably low rolling resistance rating.

Best all-around, imo.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Conti for me too, have used GP4000 and Attack/Force

Better than Michelin Pro2 for grip/wear/puncture/price equation (IMO), but I haven't used Pro3
Can't comment on any others

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Vegan Dave said:
Heya - they're not the cheapest, but i've been really happy with my Black Chili Conti GP4000S tires - even use them as winter tires...rarely puncture, and quite long-lasting. Also, a very comfortable and grippy tire, and great for racing with a reasonably low rolling resistance rating.

Best all-around, imo.

+1 for summer/competitive riding - although, for me, best all round is a 25/28 conti gp 4 season combo