• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Shack stock reaches new high with Lance on board.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
The stock reached a new 2 year high today, as they announced they are selling IPhones at the Shack. I can't help but think that the publicity they've received from forming a cycling team and getting Lance Armstrong as part of it is a big part of their recent stock market surge.

Out of curiosity, I've been into a Radio Shack since the team formed, it looks like they are actively promoting both the team and the Livestrong cause. Good to see that cycling sponsorship really works.

Will they be selling special yellow Livestrong IPhones?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ProTour said:
The stock reached a new 2 year high today, as they announced they are selling IPhones at the Shack. I can't help but think that the publicity they've received from forming a cycling team and getting Lance Armstrong as part of it is a big part of their recent stock market surge.

Out of curiosity, I've been into a Radio Shack since the team formed, it looks like they are actively promoting both the team and the Livestrong cause. Good to see that cycling sponsorship really works.

and if they are really innovative with their vertical integration, surely ampoules of Livestrong hematide yeah?

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
ProTour said:

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The team is just part of an advertising and rebranding blitz by Radioshack. Not the other way around. With the collapse of Circuit City, someone is looking to take a financial gamble on the ability of Radio Shack to fill the void.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
The team is just part of an advertising and rebranding blitz by Radioshack. Not the other way around. With the collapse of Circuit City, someone is looking to take a financial gamble on the ability of Radio Shack to fill the void.

They are filling the void very well. Heavy lay offs, major cost cutting, the iPhone, and reduced competition. All stuff Wall Street loves.

Armstrong has had little to do with the increase as most of the run up came prior to his announcement. I hope Armstrong and the Hog do not embarrass them too much as it is great to have a consumer products sponsor in the bike game. It would be a great thing for the sport if they realized a nice return on their investment.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
They are filling the void very well. Heavy lay offs, major cost cutting, the iPhone, and reduced competition. All stuff Wall Street loves.

Armstrong has had little to do with the increase as most of the run up came prior to his announcement. I hope Armstrong and the Hog do not embarrass them too much as it is great to have a consumer products sponsor in the bike game. It would be a great thing for the sport if they realized a nice return on their investment.

+1
The stock price has nothing to do with LA at this point. It is simply a market rebound in the US and iPhone announcement. I don't think even the great and powerful LA can bring a stock of a major non-cycling related company up. But bad press concerning a sponsorship deal can drop it very fast.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
L29205 said:
+1
The stock price has nothing to do with LA at this point. It is simply a market rebound in the US and iPhone announcement. I don't think even the great and powerful LA can bring a stock of a major non-cycling related company up. But bad press concerning a sponsorship deal can drop it very fast.

The whole team could get busted ala festina and nothing would happen to the market share.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I never realised we were posting updates on all sponsors' share price and business activity, unless it concerned the future of a team.

How many threads have been started on the viability of the of Astanas sponsors? Every sponsor is at question in this economy.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
The whole team could get busted ala festina and nothing would happen to the market share.

Overall since it is not a cycling related company whose consumers are not cycling fans I would agree. It depends on how things fall apart in a "festina" situation, T-mobile was a non-cycling sponser but they had to bail after the bad press. It affected their bottom line.

I would really like to keep this out of the clinic pages. So I will reiterate my thoughts LA did nothing to prop this stock up. It is simply a reaction to the where US stock market going versus the US dollar dropping.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
yeah sure he helped trek, but explain to me how he helped nike.

Overall as of yet, the only help he has given Nike is the fact millions of people buy Nike shoes because of the little yellow bands. I doubt an international corporation would give away millions of little yellow bands if they did not see a return in one shape or form.

However, I question some of his trials into marathon and a return to triathlon in 2011 is it really about cancer awareness or is it sponsor related.

Sponsors are sponsor they want a return on investment.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
L29205 said:
Overall as of yet, the only help he has given Nike is the fact millions of people buy Nike shoes because of the little yellow bands. I doubt an international corporation would give away millions of little yellow bands if they did not see a return in one shape or form.

However, I question some of his trials into marathon and a return to triathlon in 2011 is it really about cancer awareness or is it sponsor related.

Sponsors are sponsor they want a return on investment.

listen man nike are going to sell millions of shoes whether they have a yellow band on it or not. If LA was peddling his stuff to adidas instead of nike they would still be the same nike.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
listen man nike are going to sell millions of shoes whether they have a yellow band on it or not. If LA was peddling his stuff to adidas instead of nike they would still be the same nike.

Overall I agree, however a major international corporation will do the research and find out if their tax deduction (for charity I am guessing this is how they fund the little yellow arm bands)helps or hurts the company. Nike has found it has helped their product line and are continuing to support LA. Their target consumer could care less about LA's PED use as much as they care about Barry Bonds

Nike as a corporation has forgotten their original consumers. Nike was a running shoe company trying to find the best shoe for runner to put on their feet.

L29205 said:
Overall I agree, however a major international corporation will do the research and find out if their tax deduction (for charity I am guessing this is how they fund the little yellow arm bands)helps or hurts the company. Nike has found it has helped their product line and are continuing to support LA. Their target consumer could care less about LA's PED use as much as they care about Barry Bonds

Nike as a corporation has forgotten their original consumers. Nike was a running shoe company trying to find the best shoe for runner to put on their feet.

I think you are underestimating the impact of sponsors and sponsorships on shoe and apparel sales. Nike owes its global growth to its sponsorship of Michael Jordan. While Lance isn't on Michael Jordan's level (as it relates to Nike's bottom line), if there was a significant doping scandal on the level of the Festina affair, Nike along with Trek and any number of sponsors closely tied to Lance would find themselves suffering accordingly.

Love him or hate him, Lance is very visible, which sponsors love. But visibility is a double-edge sword. When, and if, he fuks up, it's going to get disproportionate coverage and significantly harm the sponsors, and in all likelihood cycling (especially American cycling).

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
this thread is really interesting.

I am glad we are now discussing what radioshack are stocking, as talking about the colour of lances bikes was starting to bore me. Sometimes the voices talk to me on my iphone.......I't great cos i can get all of his latests twits and put my data into livestrong and learn how to livestrong using my livestong ap.

In conclusion:

Radioshack
Livestrong
Twitter

Thankyou.

L29205 said:
As one who once did contract work for them, I can assure you that Nike today has almost nothing to do with the company Bill Bowerman started, making running shoes on his wife's waffle iron for track and road runners. They are now a corporate behemoth, akin to something like Exxon, GE, or Pepsi.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Nike is such a big company involved in so many sports it's impossible to quantify just how much Armstrong has helped them. Obviously i don't think he's had a negative effect on Nike though. That much we do know.

Speaking of Nike and LiveStrong, I can't find anywhere in the UK that sells LiveStrong trainers - or sneakers as Americans call them. Nike America doesn't ship to the UK. :(

If anyone knows of a place (other than Ebay) then I'd be most grateful for the tip off. :)

PS. For the record I possess no other piece of LiveStrong gear.

Help make the world a better place Sprok, and avoid buying Nike anything. If people here think Livestrong is bad... To me, Trek is fine, SRAM is fine, Radio Shack is cool, you don't really hear me complain much about Livestrong even, but Nike I avoid at all costs, and encourage everyone to do the same.

Something that probably brightened your day,right on the front page here it says race membership is up in the US, thanks to Lance. Though I'm sure a lot of us hardcore fans feel these new riders have not "seen the light of truth". Now, let the debate begin (continue?!). :eek:

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Sprocket01 said:
Nike is such a big company involved in so many sports it's impossible to quantify just how much Armstrong has helped them. Obviously i don't think he's had a negative effect on Nike though. That much we do know.

So it's impossible to quantify, but we know it.

You don't write press releases for USA Cycling by any chance, do you?

Ferminal said:
I never realised we were posting updates on all sponsors' share price and business activity, unless it concerned the future of a team.

If it could actually be confirmed that sponsoring cycling can have such positive benefits for a company then it is worth discussing no matter who it's about. Sponsors are the lifeblood of the pro peloton so any developements that could bring more sponsors into the sport is very positive and in my opinion completely on topic here.

The only problem here is that I doubt that the impact of actaully sponsoring a team is rather slim and if it actually has a noticeable impact in this case then it might simply be a rare occation because of Lance's high profile.

TRENDING THREADS