• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radio Shack?

A

Anonymous

I was too! But in the end, as a team member, if they are paying the bills I'd pimp their logo.

Although my last sponsor was a gun shop. At least it had some panache! :cool:

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
clydesdale said:
I'd fear somebody riding for a gun shop.

Radio Shack? Do they still have those? They all changed to The Source up here in Canada.

Edit: I thought the Radio Shack thing was a joke?

There's not even a RadioShack store outside NA is there ? Cool.... I just want to rush out and donate to Livestrong then go buy a soldering iron....

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Weird that RadioShack still has the budget to advertise. I thought they're out of business by now. How can they still compete with all the other big electronic store??
All their stuff are always expensive compare to other places.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
clydesdale said:
Radio Shack? Do they still have those? They all changed to The Source up here in Canada.

Edit: I thought the Radio Shack thing was a joke?

There's many names in the Tandy Corp. umbrella. I suppose one sucks just as much as the other . . . but they have their place for some hard to find items. Our RS stores were getting so empty, they removed all the shelves in the middle of the stores and the ones on the perimeter were downsized. It now looks like second rate discount store or something. They apparently have lots of $$$, but who knows in reality.

At least it's not Kmart. . . . weee . . . here comes the blue light specials!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Is Radio Shack geeky?

I'm curious what the perception of Radio Shack is in the US. We have a store called Tandy in Australia that I think is a subsiduary, but you know, it's just an electonics store that sells some cool stuff. I would have thought that most people would think that RS was a bit geeky, but what do you guys think? I am a geek, so I love these types of stores....

Edit: Yup Australian Tandy ~= Radio Shack, as per wiki link above, cheers.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Team jersey logo announced.....

trs80.jpg

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, though, why do we care who the sponsor is? I know it's convenient and easy to rip on Radio Shack. I think the stores are a joke.

But, we ought to be grateful that teams are still able to find money to keep going, that companies are still willing to put money into a sport tainted by scandal, doping, infighting, etc.

Plus, was cheering on a team sponsored by a coffee maker, or a team called BBox any more glamorous?

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't think people are ripping Radioshack for their sponsorship. They're probably just as surprised as I am that Radioshack can find enough coins to sponsor a team!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
ashaman said:
Weird that RadioShack still has the budget to advertise. I thought they're out of business by now. How can they still compete with all the other big electronic store??
All their stuff are always expensive compare to other places.
I don't understand how they have the budget either, but really, there is only one other electronics store left, BestBuy. Maybe with all of the other places going by the wayside, RadioShack has picked up some marketshare. I really have no idea.

I guess Pinarello, Adidas, and Uvex will be co-sponsors.:D

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
Plus, was cheering on a team sponsored by a coffee maker, or a team called BBox any more glamorous?

Well not in the US where the coffee is s=it.

But in Europe where the the life is so much more sophisticated, coffee drinking is big business. Europeans know the differences real coffee.

Yanks drink colored water and wouldn't know coffee form dishwater.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
I don't understand how they have the budget either, but really, there is only one other electronics store left, BestBuy. Maybe with all of the other places going by the wayside, RadioShack has picked up some marketshare. I really have no idea.

I guess Pinarello, Adidas, and Uvex will be co-sponsors.:D

I used to work for CSC and left a bit after we dropped the sponsorship, we were told that overall cycling sponsorship is not expensive compared to other ways of getting your message out there, especially compared to other sports.
I guess RadioShack looked at the chance of working with Lance, and figured that it might give them an increase in their market share against Best Buy for (a lot) cheaper than traditional advertising.
I guess they'll be concentrating most of their time on the US PRO circuit, plus the Grand boucles, so that most of the eyeballs that see their name on jerseys are American.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
Well not in the US where the coffee is s=it.

But in Europe where the the life is so much more sophisticated, coffee drinking is big business. Europeans know the differences real coffee.

Yanks drink colored water and wouldn't know coffee form dishwater.

Not sure if it works outside of Australia, but I found this funny in the context of American coffee..
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/chaser/#/videoarchive/chaser_09_03_06_starbucks/

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh, take the money & run. It's just that nothing about cycling, the Livestrong message, Armstrong or "the" premier US international cycling team, seems to have much in common with discount brand electronics & outlet malls. OK, after the TT today maybe it does.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
amp300 said:
get ready....

http://www.teamradioshack.com/getready/

I was a little questionable at first, but whatever, a sponsor is a sponsor. I like sponsors that do cycling, makes me more inclined to buy from them for doing so.

Congratulations you get the prize for the 38th person to post that link in the last 38 minutes. You get a free night out with Lance Armstrong and his mother*

* Inclusive of cellulite

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Wow...when we can't keep teams funded, even French ones, the message boards are full of idiots bashing a company that is willing to invest millions into our sport.

Simply shocking.

As for Radio Shack. I grew up in Ft Worth, the home of Tandy Corp, and remember going ice skating at the Tandy center and even riding a subway from their parking lot into the center.

Radio Shack is not Best Buy or Circuit City, but Cc is gone and Best Buy has so many employees that ignore customers, maybe RS has a chance to grow share again.

It is a Texas owned company and has never been bad for Fort Worth. Meaning, they are a good partner, unlike many huge corporations. Tandy Cneter was built when downtown Ft Worth was a ghost town, now that area is booming with great nightlife, shopping nad entertainment.

Go support the companies that support cycling.

I got a Garmin for the car and the bike...why? Cycling
Still buy Celestial Seasonings Tea...why? Cycling
I would buy Columbia outerwear...why? Cycling
Used to hit the 7-11, same reason, and the list goes on.

Companies that support cycling deserve our support.

Sure they are advertising. But they are not advertising in NASCAR, or the NFL, or a FIFA team. They choose to spend money in Cycling.

That is enough for me to give them a shot at my dollars ahead of their competition.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Wow you're so amazing. Can I be you ?

Just a hint..... some of us don't live in the US. You know there are other people in this world.....

FFWally said:
Wow...when we can't keep teams funded, even French ones, the message boards are full of idiots bashing a company that is willing to invest millions into our sport.

Simply shocking.

As for Radio Shack. I grew up in Ft Worth, the home of Tandy Corp, and remember going ice skating at the Tandy center and even riding a subway from their parking lot into the center.

Radio Shack is not Best Buy or Circuit City, but Cc is gone and Best Buy has so many employees that ignore customers, maybe RS has a chance to grow share again.

It is a Texas owned company and has never been bad for Fort Worth. Meaning, they are a good partner, unlike many huge corporations. Tandy Cneter was built when downtown Ft Worth was a ghost town, now that area is booming with great nightlife, shopping nad entertainment.

Go support the companies that support cycling.

I got a Garmin for the car and the bike...why? Cycling
Still buy Celestial Seasonings Tea...why? Cycling
I would buy Columbia outerwear...why? Cycling
Used to hit the 7-11, same reason, and the list goes on.

Companies that support cycling deserve our support.

Sure they are advertising. But they are not advertising in NASCAR, or the NFL, or a FIFA team. They choose to spend money in Cycling.

That is enough for me to give them a shot at my dollars ahead of their competition.