• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Radioshack cyclist's house searched.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
are you for real? I mean seriously, sometimes you sound like a troll. no offense. Just what?

damn you went to uni right?

Definition of troll
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response.

I would like to know how my post was imflammatory, extraneous or off the thread topic at all. I was just using alliteration for the purpose that I could with Yaroslav's nickname and using the negative connotation that pop has with something that will end and turn out to be very bad.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Novitzky is as stupid to search only Popo's house in order the rest of the bunch can calmly wipe their harddisks, clean up their home pharmacy and get everything in order. Which they probably have already done.

Seems clearly to be caused by the independent Italian investigation.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
la.margna said:
I don't think Novitzky is as stupid to search only Popo's house in order the rest of the bunch can calmly wipe their harddisks, clean up their home pharmacy and get everything in order. Which they probably have already done.

Seems clearly to be caused by the independent Italian investigation.
it's entirely possible but im not so sure...my doubts are based on 2 little facts - (i) closeness of 2 dates - his home being raided in italy and his appearance before a gj in the us. (ii) several reports that novi's investigation has gone international. it's a speculation on my part but the 2 facts above make a reasonable one.

add to that we never ever heard of popo being previously mentioned in connection with (m)any of the italian doping investigations despite popo living in italy for many years.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
scribe said:
It's funny the people who think fb is a front. I've heard a bit here or there along those lines.

It's tinfoil hat stuff; facebook "happened" because there's money to be made in targeted advertising, particularly when the landscape pre-Facebook was largely blanketing any and all eyeballs with banners (though AdWords can be considered a precursor to the FB model). Do government agencies have a window into social networks? Sure. But they've been sniffing data at the big peering points and assembling a larger picture with that data for some time now. They don't need us to volunteer our information when they're a proxy to begin with.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
python said:
add to that we never ever heard of popo being previously mentioned in connection with (m)any of the italian doping investigations despite popo living in italy for many years.

that's definitely a good point for the Novitsky-connection case

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
python said:
it's entirely possible but im not so sure...my doubts are based on 2 little facts - (i) closeness of 2 dates - his home being raided in italy and his appearance before a gj in the us. (ii) several reports that novi's investigation has gone international. it's a speculation on my part but the 2 facts above make a reasonable one.

I seem to remember Popo's name being mentioned with the Chesini doping ring. His roommate and best friend, Volodymyr Bileka, was busted for EPO. Funny how Popo's performance sucked that year.

Bileka_2_roadbikeaction.jpg

Given the often glacial speed of international jurisprudence the closeness of the two events I think point to separate investigations.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Two separate investigations perhaps, but at the very least I think it shows that Novitsky's sniffing around (and alleged info-sharing w/ anti-doping investigators in other countries) has the propensity to make life difficult for Armstrong's associates.

That alone is good enough at this point. (Bear in mind the guy on the other end has been known to obsess even about twitters against him by 20yr. old girls.)

Race Radio said:
Given the often glacial speed of international jurisprudence the closeness of the two events I think point to separate investigations.

sorry, but the timing suggests exactly the opposite...more likely the search was planned for weeks/months ahead of time and the Feds were just waiting to see what direction YP's testimony would go in before following thru on the search. they also probably wanted to allow very little time between GJ testimony and the search so that things weren't disposed of. federal investigators aren't the keystone kops. the correct or safer assumptions one should make...they have resources, they're professional, they plan ahead, and they're smarter than you.

it appears pretty obvious to me that YP clammed up or contradicted other testimony and the Feds are sending a clear message that they can make your life difficult no matter who you are, even if your citizenship is in a foreign country.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Any speculation that the raid on Popo might be connected to the USPS investigation going on in the USA is just that, speculation. As of right now there is nothing but proximity in time to connect the two.

I'm just really happy with the attitude that the Italian authorities are taking towards doping in sport. Italy and Spain have very similar histories of doping in cycling, and I think it is obvious for anyone to see that Italy has decided to at least make an effort to stamp it out, while Spain seems content to ignore and deny.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Any speculation that the raid on Popo might be connected to the USPS investigation going on in the USA is just that, speculation..

"Yea honey. The lipstick on my collar and the women's panties you found in my jacket pocket mean NOTHING. Any speculation that I am having an 'intimate affair' is just that, SPECULATION." :)

NashbarShorts said:
"Yea honey. The lipstick on my collar and the women's panties you found in my jacket pocket mean NOTHING. Any speculation that I am having an 'intimate affair' is just that, SPECULATION." :)

exactly. I'm sure LA is beside himself in not knowing and more importantly, not being able to comprehend or predict the scope and target of an investigation focused on him. Mr. Control is in the dark, it's instinctual to be afraid of the dark. Kudos to Novitsky, whether planned or not. Lipstick, begets excuses & leads directly to confirmed guilt. Anxiously awaiting the reveal...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The TV Show "The Wire" rings a bell in reading this. If the investigators are on the ball not only are they going after the hard drives but have cell phone taps on the key suspects and the second tier suspects and even text messages are being tapped. Those who watched it know the communication channels must change frequently to avoid being tapped for too long, I wonder how the sale of those cheap pay by minute phones is going in Griona and Austin :D

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
btw....I would never have expected Popo's attorney to actually say "ya, my client witnessed doping" with regards to testimony given to the GJ. AND, Popo was in there alone sans attorney, so no on would really have known actual revelations, but this seems to support that just maybe the Q & A session was not so completely benign.........
just what I'm thinkin...

Yes, but Popo was able to spend 2 weeks hanging with Lance and his attorney before he was required to appear. I'll bet much of that time was spent learning the ropes about how our system works.

I wonder if LA paid for Popo's attorney.

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
my initial thought is that the raid isn't directly related to the Armstrong investigation but it is a result of it.
Popo gave testimony under oath, so my thought is that he said something or didn't say something, that rang some bells with the Italian anti-doping people. that's what triggered the raid.
my guess is that there won't be any direct link to Armstrong but I don't know what it does to Armstrong if it is proven that Popo committed purgery.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Dimtick said:
my initial thought is that the raid isn't directly related to the Armstrong investigation but it is a result of it.
Popo gave testimony under oath, so my thought is that he said something or didn't say something, that rang some bells with the Italian anti-doping people. that's what triggered the raid.
my guess is that there won't be any direct link to Armstrong but I don't know what it does to Armstrong if it is proven that Popo committed purgery.

Popo probably said some things on the GJ stand that Novi didn;t believe, and that probably prompted a curious phone call to Italy.

What does it take (legally) to get a Carbinieri busting down your door in Italy? International cooperation is a great thing, ain't it?

I'll bet Lance never figured in a million years that he'd be investigated criminally for this. He's so ****ed!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Yes, but Popo was able to spend 2 weeks hanging with Lance and his attorney before he was required to appear. I'll bet much of that time was spent learning the ropes about how our system works.

I wonder if LA paid for Popo's attorney.

of which time he might have followed their 'programming' and hung himself in the GJ...

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
of which time he might have followed their 'programming' and hung himself in the GJ...

This is the sad part for anyone else that's been involved. Remember, any advice given, assistance given or support offered, will be for the advantage of Armstrong. Popo comes to Austin to make the boss happy, an gets hit with a summons. Right away, Armstrong will offer to get him some representation, but it doesn't take a genius to know that this support will be given to help influence a more favorable outcome for Lance. Armstrong must be really busy these days maneuvering the growing number of marionette strings.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
This is the sad part for anyone else that's been involved. Remember, any advice given, assistance given or support offered, will be for the advantage of Armstrong. Popo comes to Austin to make the boss happy, an gets hit with a summons. Right away, Armstrong will offer to get him some representation, but it doesn't take a genius to know that this support will be given to help influence a more favorable outcome for Lance. Armstrong must be really busy these days maneuvering the growing number of marionette strings.

i dont necessarily read the situation like that. If the Feds get the proof and solid proof, the more Armstrong gets people to lie for him the worse the outcome will be for him, so he is playing with fire.

Benotti69 said:
i dont necessarily read the situation like that. If the Feds get the proof and solid proof, the more Armstrong gets people to lie for him the worse the outcome will be for him, so he is playing with fire.

Yeah, but we are dealing with someone who spent his entire career thinking and acting like he was above the rules and always having someone to cover for him when he was caught out. Hubris has to set in at some point, probably at a very early age, so his behavior may not be as cautious as you would expect.

Overplaying his hand seems to be a natural mode of operation for Armstrong. He has been lucky enough so far to get away with it.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

When I said "for the advantage of Armstrong" I did not mean I thought he'd prevail. I meant that whatever "help" he offers people like Popo, will only be with an eye towards helping his own future outcome. I just hope Popo made his decision about truthful testimony without the selfish influence of Lance's interests getting in the way.

What do you think Lance probably did after Popo got his summons, told him to go get an attorney and not speak to him anymore? I think not. I'll bet Popo probably stayed at the compound for 2 weeks preparing for battle.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there any link or statement that really confirms that Lance is the target ?
Would be something new.

I don't mean some blogger articles or journalists, that repeat that 100 times to make people believe so.
I think that some of them wish so and claim it every time, so that in the end people buy these storys. Mission accomplished.

Just have a look at CN clinic's usual suspects.

TRENDING THREADS