• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rafal Majka discussion thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Kinda torn on Majka. Part of me feels he could win a GT, but my logical side thinks stage hunting and minor stage races is the way to go. Entertaining rider either way.

Yesterday's interview with Majka:
- I was 100 % prepared for TdF;
- After TdP I took a rest;
- Now I'm not so confident about my shape;
- I still remember my Tdf crash and I'm afraid of descents;
- First week of Vuelta says me if I can challenge GC or should focus on stage wins..........

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Yesterday's interview with Majka:
- I was 100 % prepared for TdF;
- After TdP I took a rest;
- Now I'm not so confident about my shape;
- I still remember my Tdf crash and I'm afraid of descents;
- First week of Vuelta says me if I can challenge GC or should focus on stage wins..........

Would be great to see Majka v Barguil going head to head for KOM and stage wins

If Majka is not confident then he wont podium and anything less would be less than he has already achieved....couple of stage wins and KOM would be a nice competetion

Yep, a great win after that solo ride up the Pandera. Personally I thought he showed his class more on Pla d'Adet, where a) he destroyed the KOM classification and b) he had to attack more often after not getting into the main breakaway. I think that for him GT GC could be the way to go, but someone must tell him to set a hard tempo and wear others out rather than try and jump. Had he done that at Xorret de Catí, I'm pretty sure he could've easily dropped Alaphilippe and won there, too

Re:

Red Rick said:
Very impressive. Majka is definitely the best mountain stage hunter in the world right now. He's won stages from breakaways that nobody thought would survive. Now he needs that Giro stage.

Agree. Usually the break need at least three minutes with 12kms of mountain climbing to go, but Rafal is an incredible diesel climber. He was super strong.

I think he can do better than a Giro stage. He could be on the podium at next year's Giro, and be an outside contender for pink. Froome, Dumoulin and Nibali are all likely to skip the Giro, and who is left? Landa, who has suffered plenty of bad luck before, and still only has an equal best GT GC result to Majka. Aru will probably ride it, but Majka's best is not much behind him. There will probably be another handful of riders at around Majka's level (Zakarin, someone from Orica etc), so if the planets align he could win it.

Its one of the great paradoxes in current cycling that Majka is a fabulous climber and very entertaining when stage hunting and riding for the mountains jersey but a wheel sucking bore when he goes for GC results in grand tours.

Normally I would suggest he is not quite elite enough in any individual department to win a grand tour but Aru has won one so it cant be unrealistic for Majka to match that if things fall into place.

Re:

mikii4567 said:
Yep, a great win after that solo ride up the Pandera. Personally I thought he showed his class more on Pla d'Adet, where a) he destroyed the KOM classification and b) he had to attack more often after not getting into the main breakaway. I think that for him GT GC could be the way to go, but someone must tell him to set a hard tempo and wear others out rather than try and jump. Had he done that at Xorret de Catí, I'm pretty sure he could've easily dropped Alaphilippe and won there, too

Yes, at Xorret it was just bad tactics.
As you said he should either set hard, constant tempo or go full gas just once let say 1-2 km from the summit.
But it was obvious too late, after a few unsuccessful attacks.

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

hayneplane said:
Normally I would suggest he is not quite elite enough in any individual department to win a grand tour but Aru has won one so it cant be unrealistic for Majka to match that if things fall into place.
This much. I never felt he is good enough for the top tier GC-wise but with few enough top tier conteders, shape of his life and some Nibali-like voodoo it is not unconceivable that he could pull off a big one. And frankly he should when Aru won but he was scared shitless back then and probably unable to dig as deep into the red as Aru did.

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Majka does nto ahve the tenacity of Aru nor the ability to attack....Majka will not win a GT

He is better and more entertaining riding for stages and mountain jerseys
Mind you I also dont think

Yates bros
Chaves
Barguil
Kelderman

will win Grand Tours
I'm not defaulting on this until he is like 35 although you're obviously right, this year he couldn't lose George Bennett or Alaphilippe, with all due respect to both, and his previous attacks were always halfarsed, like he himself realized he went too far out of his zone to sustain them.

He is pure diesel with no punch so basically only TdF suits him on most of the climbs but then again it is TdF so the field is going to be the strongest possible and any realistic chance for him would come within 1 or 2 years of interregnum after Froome and before the Colombians/Mas/Costa/Gaudu maturation. And his TT would have to become more reliable at not sucking mightily AND he would have to hope MAL stalls.

So still, with the perfect astrological star alignment I can see it happening but it is borderline astrological.

And no worries, I am a homer, even for the unlikable Majka, but I've been watching them bike races for 20 years so it is hard for me to get my head unscrewed because of someone being a guy with my flag. Those five you mentioned are not winning indeed.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
have to say that majka season was ruined by that crash at letour , he podium at lavuelta 2 years ago , like keldermann and zakarin he can co another podium but not win a gt

Yes.
Majka was never good after rest day; he looks better in comparison to others on tough week ending stages, especially in hot weather
But, still truth is You can't podium TdF with such narrow way to the target.
Long term endurance in mountains is necessary condition but it's not enough.

TRENDING THREADS