• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random French guys ripping up the Tour

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

thehog said:
poupou said:
If Pinot improved his TT position, we will see it ont his power file soon or later.

I think he has improved more than his postion! Wow! :rolleyes:
Pinot has been flying all spring, his ITT today looks like it came from nowhere but it's really not that big of a surprise.

He's come a long way since we saw him in the Tour not being able to ride downhill a few years ago. :eek:

Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
I heard he even hasnt been in the windtunnel yet, so be afraid.

* swimming coach #check
* downhill fears gone #check
* windtunnel #beafraidcomejuly
I haven't come across mention of a wind tunnel in all my on-going readings/research for info about Thibaut. So maybe, maybe not. But for sure, he spent a lot of time on the Velodrome in Roubaix.

The final ITT of the '14 Tour could be considered as a test of freshness rather than pure ITT skills, but fwiw he did really well. Same on the opening ITT of the '15 Tour. His times on the ITT of the Critérium International were very good in '15 compared to TD's course record, and Thibaut improved his '15 time by 6" this year. So today's perf is not coming out of nowhere.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Tonton said:
I haven't come across mention of a wind tunnel in all my on-going readings/research for info about Thibaut. So maybe, maybe not. But for sure, he spent a lot of time on the Velodrome in Roubaix.

The final ITT of the '14 Tour could be considered as a test of freshness rather than pure ITT skills, but fwiw he did really well. Same on the opening ITT of the '15 Tour. His times on the ITT of the Critérium International were very good in '15 compared to TD's course record, and Thibaut improved his '15 time by 6" this year. So today's perf is not coming out of nowhere.
Tonton, are you taking my posts serious?

I am a keen follower of FDj and their science staff, so I am not too wondered about Pinot's progress in TT's.

Tonton said:

Tonton, are you taking my posts serious?

I am a keen follower of FDj and their science staff, so I am not too wondered about Pinot's progress in TT's.
I know FGL :D . I also know (and you know) that some may take your post seriously, jump on it and run with it...
Not like we haven't seen this before ;) ...and as I wrote previously, I can understand that there are skeptics out there.

Two years that Pinot consistently beats Jungels (no slouch) against the clock BTW.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can understand there are skeptics, thats why I want to see split times because it looks like Pinot made the difference on the climb, and his downhill wasnt shabby too.

But, given the fact how FDJ are hammering on TT's this season not a big surprise.

Re:

Well, I can understand there are skeptics, thats why I want to see split times because it looks like Pinot made the difference on the climb, and his downhill wasnt shabby too.

But, given the fact how FDJ are hammering on TT's this season not a big surprise.

I just re-watched the broadcast (just cant get enough :D ). On top of the climb (time check), TP 1st, Nairo at 7", TD at 10", Zak at 13".

Tonton said:

I just re-watched the broadcast (just cant get enough :D ). On top of the climb (time check), TP 1st, Nairo at 7", TD at 10", Zak at 13".

Could this be the year?!! It would be just like the French World Cup victory in 1998!

No more Santa Barbara? :)

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Pinot should be compared with Quintana. When Quintana is close it means it is the hill which affected the overall time not just the flat.
Or it means they both have been putting out some very suspicious time-trialing performances.

The other guys near the top of the stage were the folks you'd expect.
Plus Geniez and Reichenbach.

thehog said:
Tonton said:

Could this be the year?!! It would be just like the French World Cup victory in 1998!

For that to happen Froome needs to have a seizure before the decisive mountain stage.

Rollthedice said:
thehog said:
Tonton said:

For that to happen Froome needs to have a seizure before the decisive mountain stage.
Maybe seizures are possible side effects of Bilharzia medications :D .

Obviously Pinot is doing well but how do people think Pierre Rolland will do this year? I think this is the most realistic place to ask the question. Especially interested in TT performance and what any (hypothetical at this stage) improvement might be credited to.

TT in general is an interesting one because there are plenty of cases of climbers nailing TTs in GTs in suspicious circumstances (or "you know what Phil, the yellow jersey makes you ride with the strength of ten men" if you prefer) but there are also plenty of Andy Schlecks who regularly stink the place out despite glowing like fireflies.

So where does the doping/position/practise/technology split lie? Will Frenchies other than FDJ start ripping up time trials? And if they do, how?

Reading back some pages of this topic makes me think FDJ and LJ are using the same TT bike strategy.
Demare his strava file can also be explained a bit better if he had something hidden in his frame.

Irondan said:
King Boonen said:
Irondan said:
Praying Mantis said:
Random French guys dropping out of contention at the Tour :(
Who dropped out? I've only been paying half attention to the stage telecast...

Pinot. Hardly random.
Dropped out of the race? Or just out of contention?

Just out of contention it seems. I think it was two minutes but not 100% on that.

TRENDING THREADS