• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Random Questions thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Last edited:
Electrolytes is the fancy word for salt.
So you can sell it for 50-100 times as much compared to any regular salt from the grocery store.
Salt is consumed for sodium, which is an electrolyte.

But there are other important electrolytes that are not present (at least not in amounts relevant for human bodies) in table salt. Anything sold as "electrolytes", even the cheapest and most basic stuff I've seen, will at least have potassium and often some other stuff.

Salt is consumed for sodium, which is an electrolyte.

But there are other important electrolytes that are not present (at least not in amounts relevant for human bodies) in table salt. Anything sold as "electrolytes", even the cheapest and most basic stuff I've seen, will at least have potassium and often some other stuff.
True.
But if you buy sea salt you also get potassium and probably also some other stuff.
Of course, the pros will have some tailor made stuff. Just saying that the grocery salt works fine for me.

True.
But if you buy sea salt you also get potassium and probably also some other stuff.
Of course, the pros will have some tailor made stuff. Just saying that the grocery salt works fine for me.
Even without physical activity you need around 4 grams of potassium per day and you won't get even 1% of that consuming any realistic amount of sea salt.

Sea salt does have some magnesium and calcium. With these you might get to a few percent of a daily need of a regular person. Don't know how much more a cyclist would need for a day spent on a bike.

Of course sodium is the one that gets depleted the most quickly while sweating so you might indeed find salt working just fine for you. That was not the point you started this discussion with, though. :p

Last edited:
Random question!!!
Does anybody know where I could gain footage of the 2006 Tour de Suisse. I am a big Ullrich fan and this was his last race.

In particular, I was looking for the stage to Leukerbad. The uphill finish. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thank you.

A bit all over the place.

I was more interested in what's the most common/preffered by riders among these rather than what are the options because I was quite aware of the latter.

I guess it depends on a rider and a team then.
For a complete answer, you might have to move the question to the clinic!

I haven’t seen this in the past few years, but I always like to see when an exhausted rider on a hot day gets handed a can of Coke from the team car.

I have always enjoyed Cosmo Catalano's "how the race was won" videos very much, but I think he stopped for good? Does anybody know anything about it?

Am also a fan of his productions. He is still active, and has posted analyses of some of this year's spring classics on his web page. I guess he's unable to post them on YouTube, because of legal restrictions. Last couple of years he worked in cooperation with Eurosport, but that deal seems to have ended.

https://howtheracewaswon.com/2021/liege-bastogne-liege

Am also a fan of his productions. He is still active, and has posted analyses of some of this year's spring classics on his web page. I guess he's unable to post them on YouTube, because of legal restrictions. Last couple of years he worked in cooperation with Eurosport, but that deal seems to have ended.

https://howtheracewaswon.com/2021/liege-bastogne-liege
He also did one or two videos for Cyclingtips lately, iirc.

TRENDING THREADS