• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ranking classics cyclists 2000-2023

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
T

Totally agree on the first point, any ranking that has WvA above VdP is perverse.

Be careful, by these standards you would rank Degenkolb above WvA of which I don't believe many will do. To put things into some perspective, if MVDP hadn't tricked WVA in that ingenious sprint in the 2020 Ronde, I think there would be much more nuance in the opinions about who ranks above whom. Just to point out that 1 split second decision can totally change perception. Don't get me wrong, I would definitely pick MvdP's palmares now, but context is always important. Let's just say that it takes a freak like Wout to bend the rules of a points ranking into his favor.

Last edited:
Depending on the parcours you can exit the prime of your career unable to contest the race. It’s not an equitable race to weigh accomplishments of riders. Even if they care to race for it, like this year.
They race for it every time though.

If your [New] point is just that it is unfair to value an Olympic win/placing because other riders may not have had the chance to contest a parcours that suited them then sure some may have had bad luck but an olympic win is a win and it clearly is valued by the peloton and the world at large.

This won't ever be completely fair anyway. Petacchi and Cipollini didn't win that many Giro stages just because they were great sprinters. It really helped that they were Italian and got the parcours to match.

Reactions: hayneplane
They race for it every time though.

If your [New] point is just that it is unfair to value an Olympic win/placing because other riders may not have had the chance to contest a parcours that suited them then sure some may have had bad luck but an olympic win is a win and it clearly is valued by the peloton and the world at large.

This won't ever be completely fair anyway. Petacchi and Cipollini didn't win that many Giro stages just because they were great sprinters. It really helped that they were Italian and got the parcours to match.
Well sprinters are almost like a separate category as it is more of a opportunities game than talent. For example, there wasn't a Worlds RR that finished in a large sprint between 81-02. Over 20 years, then there was two in quick order 11-16. So someone like Van Poppel or Abdu never got a crack at a Worlds, Cipo had to wait until he was 35, but others got 2 chances in a short period. Is a Worlds where 80 riders finish in the same time as the winner really of equal value to a regular Worlds RR? Like you say, it really depends on what you put value on.

May 1, 2023
Visit site
These are the things that get me through the winter.
I published my all-time ranking a few years ago on kingoftheechelon.com (counting podiums for one-day races and top-5 for the WC).
Narrowing it down to monuments, monuments+WC+Olympics and all significant one-day race, I came to the following results:

Monuments:
1​
CANCELLARA, Fabian
1806​
3x RVV; 3x PR; 1x MSR
2​
BOONEN, Tom
1554​
4x PR; 3x RVV
3​
VALVERDE, Alejandro
1140​
4x LBL
4​
GILBERT, Philippe
1110​
2x GDL; 1x RVV; 1x PR; 1x LBL
5​
VAN DER POEL, Mathieu
912​
2x RVV; 1x PR; 1x MSR
6​
BETTINI, Paolo
846​
2x LBL; 2x GDL; 1x MSR
7​
POGACAR, Tadej
810​
3x GDL; 1x RVV; 1x LBL
8​
NIBALI, Vincenzo
702​
2x GDL; 1x MSR
9​
RODRIGUEZ, Joaquim
612​
2x GDL
10​
ALAPHILIPPE, Julian
594​
1x MSR

Monuments + Worlds + Olympics
1​
VALVERDE, Alejandro
2061​
1x WC; 4x LBL
2​
CANCELLARA, Fabian
1976​
3x RVV; 3x PR; 1x MSR
3​
BOONEN, Tom
1871​
1x WC; 4x PR; 3x RVV
4​
BETTINI, Paolo
1675​
2x WC; 1x OLY; 2x LBL; 2x GDL; 1x MSR
5​
GILBERT, Philippe
1335​
1x WC; 2x GDL; 1x RVV; 1x PR; 1x LBL
6​
SAGAN, Peter
1303​
3x WC; 1x RVV; 1x PR
7​
VAN DER POEL, Mathieu
1137​
1x WC; 2x RVV; 1x PR; 1x MSR
8​
FREIRE, Oscar
1052​
2x WC; 3x MSR
9​
ALAPHILIPPE, Julian
1044​
2x WC; 1x MSR
10​
VAN AERT, Wout
1042​
1x MSR

All prestigious one-day races
1​
VALVERDE, Alejandro
3600​
1x WC; 4x LBL; 5x FW; 2x CSS; 1x LAZ
2​
BOONEN, Tom
3322​
1x WC; 4x PR; 3x RVV; 3x GW; 5x E3H; 2x SS; 2x PB
3​
GILBERT, Philippe
2901​
1x WC; 2x GDL; 1x RVV; 1x PR; 1x LBL; 4x AGR; 2x PT; 1x FW; 1x CSS; 2x PIEM; 2x OHV; 1x STRBI; 1x GPQ
4​
SAGAN, Peter
2567​
3x WC; 1x RVV; 1x PR; 3x GW; 2x GPQ; 1x GPMON; 1x E3H
5​
BETTINI, Paolo
2514​
2x WC; 1x OLY; 2x LBL; 2x GDL; 1x MSR; 2x ZUR; 1x HEW; 1x CSS; 1x LAZ
6​
CANCELLARA, Fabian
2474​
3x RVV; 3x PR; 1x MSR; 3x STRBI; 3x E3H
7​
REBELLIN, Davide
2198​
1x LBL; 3x FW; 1x AGR; 2x EMIL; 1x VEN; 1x RHT
8​
VAN AVERMAET, Greg
2164​
1x OLY; 1x PR; 1x PT; 1x GW; 2x OHV; 2x GPMON; 1x E3H
9​
VAN AERT, Wout
1850​
1x MSR; 1x GW; 1x AGR; 2x E3H; 1x STRBI; 1x OHV
10​
KRISTOFF, Alexander
1724​
1x RVV; 1x MSR; 1x HEW; 1x GW; 4x RHT; 2x SS
Thanks for sharing it. Addressing the critical topic of police brutality https://writinguniverse.com/free-essay-examples/police-brutality/ Police Brutality' essay examples provide a platform for understanding and advocacy. Explore the complexities of this societal issue through diverse perspectives, fostering awareness and dialogue.
The main conclusion is that Mathieu van der Poel does not rank among the best one-day riders :tearsofjoy:

Last edited: