• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ranny giving more naming rights away for free?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mambo95 said:
Do you really think money changed hands? How many other cycle tracks have been 'named'. It was just a politician doing a photo opportunity.

No, money didn't change hands (well, as far as we can tell), that's the problem - LiveSTRONG is a commercial brand and as such don't you think it's a bit shady for politicians to be handing out assets for free to commercial entities?

Or maybe they do things a bit different in South Australia...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
No, money didn't change hands (well, as far as we can tell), that's the problem - LiveSTRONG is a commercial brand and as such don't you think it's a bit shady for politicians to be handing out assets for free to commercial entities?

It's a poxy cycle path! It's no more 'handing out assets for free' than buying a drink for you friend. It's just a publicity stunt on behalf of the race/politician/cycle path.

Basically you've made a mountain out of a molehill in an effort to uncover your own 'Armstrong scandal' to impress some of the dafter posters on here.

Mambo95 said:
It's a poxy cycle path! It's no more 'handing out assets for free' than buying a drink for you friend. It's just a publicity stunt on behalf of the race/politician.

Basically you've made a mountain out of a molehill in an effort to uncover your own 'Armstrong scandal' to impress some of the dafter posters on here.

I'm not uncovering any scandal, this is simply another example of the government's suspicious dealings with LiveSTRONG alongside the Flinders Centre.

Can you tell me what public assets near you have had their naming rights donated to a for-profit organisation free of charge? I don't know any near me but you think it's the norm so there must be heaps.

How nice of you to make it personal, I thought only "haters" resorted to such lowly tactics.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tutur and Rann should be hung out to dry for the moronic idea of buying Armstrong to ride the tour down under. Now they have a drug scandal on their hands even if it is just allegations about a rider.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't either. But you have to understand where people get their cycling coverag from. Name 1 cycling journalist which has had a go at Lance? They all, especially Tomalaris have their heads stuck up their arses.

Rupert Guinness shared a car at the Tour de France with David Walsh in 2004. That would have been tantamount to accusing LA of doping.

Dec 5, 2010
twitter.com
With the Flinders agreement and subsequent Livestrong branding money has (and hopefully this fact will be verified very soon) continues to change hands in the shape of a licensing fee payable by Flinders to Livestrong. Although 'which' Livestrong is open to debate as apparently the money from such an agreement would be paid to Stapleton rather than directly to the Foundation.

With the way these business deals are conducted I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the path was subject to the same kind of agreement.

So what's going to be branded Livestrong by Rann next?

227261816.jpg

Velocentric said:
With the Flinders agreement and subsequent Livestrong branding money has (and hopefully this fact will be verified very soon) continues to change hands in the shape of a licensing fee payable by Flinders to Livestrong. Although 'which' Livestrong is open to debate as apparently the money from such an agreement would be paid to Stapleton rather than directly to the Foundation.

This is so horrible if true. Not sure how anyone can justify the actions (as being socially acceptable) of Rann or Lance in this instance.

The Government paying someone to let them use their name for a cancer research facility. Is this money being diverted from cancer research or just Rann corruptly spending more public funds? Not only have they lost money having to pay for the name but it will probably divert fundraising away from cancer research and into the farcical realm of awareness (and of course all the commercial profits of the brand). Absolute tragedy.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
This is so horrible if true. Not sure how anyone can justify the actions (as being socially acceptable) of Rann or Lance in this instance.

The Government paying someone to let them use their name for a cancer research facility. Is this money being diverted from cancer research or just Rann corruptly spending more public funds? Not only have they lost money having to pay for the name but it will probably divert fundraising away from cancer research and into the farcical realm of awareness (and of course all the commercial profits of the brand). Absolute tragedy.

and absolute par for the course of LIESTRONG ;)

Dec 5, 2010
twitter.com
Ferminal said:

One of the things that I'm trying to establish is where the money to pay the fee comes from. Whether it's money that's been assigned to the Centre for other purposes or whether it's a straight up payment from the Taxpayer.

Whatever it is and however this works, the agreement stinks.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I’ve heard this 40m figure a few times. Most of the time to justify Armstrong fee of 3m. You get the soundbyte 3m to make 40m what a good deal. But that’s not reality. Reason being even if the 40m is a valid figure its not a 37m profit. Armstrong wouldn’t be coming if he wasn’t racing the TDU. The TDU wouldn’t be staged if they didn’t pay for every single rider and team staff to fly business class to Australia along with their hotels and living expenses. Its costs 23m to stage the TDU. So you add the 23m to the 3m and you have 26 million. Then you need to take into account that January in Australia it is school holidays and the hottest month of the year. So there's already a lot of travel occurring which would mean something in the region of 10m+ of spend that would have occurred even without Armstrong or the TDU. You can’t say it would be a normal month in January in terms of holiday spend. So in reality you’re outlaying 36m million to make 4million. Not sure that’s good business. But even if it is they have to stop stating Armstrong brings in the 40m.

FFS Hog you are a good poster but you have to stop quoting rumours as fact. $3m is way off, although the actual amount is still a big number. Not saying your argument is flawed, just that you can't claim (as it happens) incorrect rumours from Rob Lucas' Budget and Finance Committee as fact. ;)

laziali said:
FFS Hog you are a good poster but you have to stop quoting rumours as fact. $3m is way off, although the actual amount is still a big number. Not saying your argument is flawed, just that you can't claim (as it happens) incorrect rumours from Rob Lucas' Budget and Finance Committee as fact. ;)

Hmm, well it's at least $2million AUD isn't it? Somewhere between 2-3million is what I've read to be accurate, may have changed though due to depreciation of the US.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Hmm, well it's at least $2million AUD isn't it? Somewhere between 2-3million is what I've read to be accurate, may have changed though due to depreciation of the US.

Not this year. Much less.

Dec 5, 2010
twitter.com
Laziali, you sound very up to speed on what's going on regarding the fee paid. While I appreciate that you can't tell us how much it was, perhaps you could give me a hint as to who I'd be best submitting an FOI request to?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Velocentric said:
Laziali, you sound very up to speed on what's going on regarding the fee paid. While I appreciate that you can't tell us how much it was, perhaps you could give me a hint as to who I'd be best submitting an FOI request to?

No point, I'm afraid - the contract (or at least the $s) will fall within a number of the exceptions to disclosure under the FOI Act. I dont' get what the big secret is, especially when the RoI is so good (ie $40m odd economic benefit). Our Victorian friends had no problem saying how much they paid Tiger Woods, but welcome to South Ostraya where we do things different :D

TRENDING THREADS