• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rashaan Bahati's new team

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I hope he rides for his own team, rather than retiring to run it. I've always liked this guy, and think he got a raw deal from Rock this year. The guy is in his prime, and is too talented to move up to the front office.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
I hope he rides for his own team, rather than retiring to run it. I've always liked this guy, and think he got a raw deal from Rock this year. The guy is in his prime, and is too talented to move up to the front office.

Z, 1st I see your location and I know you agree that the US Pro should be in Phili. I know you are also in a good mood after the Yankee spank last night and a Halloween Pearl Jam concert and a good football game over the weekend.

Bahati should go with the black thing and get talented athletes other than white/euro backrounds, Smaller team ,smaller schedule and maybe some sponsorship from black owned biz. He has not shown he can do anything outside the US and missed winning/climbing up the wall again this year. The guy has talent maybe on and off the bike will be his best formula. There are some African racers that may be able to contest US races. Last I saw Jock Boyer was working on some diamonds that may be ready to polish. Rashaan you should call LeBron, he just had a cancer scare and he loves bicycles. Not many people saying no to him when it comes to fund raising.

The_Z_man said:

He is a bit young to be retiring but I guess if you are gonna run a team it requires 100% commitment. I am sure he will race at some time when the roster is stetched or in the smaller NRC races. I am sure even with less training, he could still be competitive in smaller races. What was the name of the Mercury director who raced at a decent level even though he was also quite old, was it John Wordin!!

This project could be very interesting in attracting more athletes from the minority backgrounds into the sport which would be good. We had a discussion on this very topic way back.

I wonder who the ProTour riders will be, I am calling Hilton Clarke as one, the others not so sure, Ted King maybe.

Good luck to Bahati with his project, another US team.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast,

You're right on most of the points in your first paragraph. While I love the race in the City of Brotherly Shove, I like the fact that we now have our very own national championship, open only to US riders. It's just too bad we don't have it on the same day as everyone else. Then again, there's no party in The Yunk like Bike Race Day.

Did Bahati ever race overseas? I only started noticing him a few years ago. If he did go to Europe, what kinds of races did he do?

Going with the minority angle would be awesome. I'm a white dude, but I'd love to see a bunch of brothers kick whitey's ****. That's one reason I liked seeing him win the USCRIT championship. He beat The Man at his own game.

I do think he's going to have to retire if he wants to run the team, but I hope he can find a way of maybe riding a pared down schedule, while his team rides a broader one.

*I'm a hockey fan, and I loved it when my team, the Edmonton Oilers had Mike Grier, Georges Laraque and Anson Carter, one African-American, and 2 African-Canadians.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Good thread Z-man. Agree. Though like Fitandfast, I'd like to see a time like that in the future. We have Team Type 1, why not a "minority" focused team to help that break down a perceived barrier in the sport?

I really don't believe in any barrier. If you are good enough you'll make it, even if you are an jewish African-American homosexual or something like that.

Sticking all the 'minorities' in one team would create a freakshow.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
This may be a stupid question but who the f--- is Rahsaan Bahati, and why should I care about him? Google search shows that he is an African dude (certainly rare) but he hasn't placed in any race that I've ever heard of. Enlighten me.

LOL.......hes fast , really fast.......wait did i say he was fast.......american rider from a ghetto area , well sort of. he pretty much killed at any decent sprint event in the US , and as other posters mentioned a kool guy , spoken and rode with on a few occasions , def. kool......this could be good :)

May 20, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
This may be a stupid question but who the f--- is Rahsaan Bahati, and why should I care about him? Google search shows that he is an African dude (certainly rare) but he hasn't placed in any race that I've ever heard of. Enlighten me.

He is from Compton. American not African.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
I really don't believe in any barrier. If you are good enough you'll make it, even if you are an jewish African-American homosexual or something like that.

I have to agree, and there is a danger that any negative publicity will appeal to the intolerant/ bigotted groups and be turned into propoganda to further their cause.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
fatandfast,

You're right on most of the points in your first paragraph. While I love the race in the City of Brotherly Shove, I like the fact that we now have our very own national championship, open only to US riders. It's just too bad we don't have it on the same day as everyone else. Then again, there's no party in The Yunk like Bike Race Day.

Did Bahati ever race overseas? I only started noticing him a few years ago. If he did go to Europe, what kinds of races did he do?

Going with the minority angle would be awesome. I'm a white dude, but I'd love to see a bunch of brothers kick whitey's ****. That's one reason I liked seeing him win the USCRIT championship. He beat The Man at his own game.

I do think he's going to have to retire if he wants to run the team, but I hope he can find a way of maybe riding a pared down schedule, while his team rides a broader one.

*I'm a hockey fan, and I loved it when my team, the Edmonton Oilers had Mike Grier, Georges Laraque and Anson Carter, one African-American, and 2 African-Canadians.

Would be at the Tour of Britain last year IIRC.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Dre

Hey Dr. Dre loves the Tour. Maybe some of the homies can be recruited for a Pro cycling team. Athletes all no matter what color.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
hoodooguru said:
He is from Compton. American not African.

This was a great band, those gurus. The more I read these posts I realize this guy really does need Dr. Dre or maybe IceT. There is a cool org in LA called Homeboy Industries that keeps gang bangers out of jail. They have cool slogans like "The best way to stop a bullet is with a job" and "Jobs not jails". Who knows we had LA Sheriffs and the had all that DARE and SANE stuff. I think most people are home watching a Tom Boonen video smoking weed and have given up on the war on drugs, He is a flash in the pan, His new team looks lame and like most people said "Who the F is this guy and why should I care?" This is a rare chance to mix racing and rap we got to try while there are still black racers. By the way lots of Compton is not as nice as Africa. If boat people saw Compton they would get back in da boat.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
This was a great band, those gurus. The more I read these posts I realize this guy really does need Dr. Dre or maybe IceT. There is a cool org in LA called Homeboy Industries that keeps gang bangers out of jail. They have cool slogans like "The best way to stop a bullet is with a job" and "Jobs not jails". Who knows we had LA Sheriffs and the had all that DARE and SANE stuff. I think most people are home watching a Tom Boonen video smoking weed and have given up on the war on drugs, He is a flash in the pan, His new team looks lame and like most people said "Who the F is this guy and why should I care?" This is a rare chance to mix racing and rap we got to try while there are still black racers. By the way lots of Compton is not as nice as Africa. If boat people saw Compton they would get back in da boat.

Because all black people like rap.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
filipo said:
Because all black people like rap.

You just figured that out? Who is this kid rock? Stereotypes save time silly. Yes Grandma probably wants a windsurfer and an Xbox for the holiday, I don't know what I was thinkin'. The real answer is a big no but why so uptight is your NAZ cd skippin' I can't wait to see all the bling and ballcaps at the Met tonight. Those new low hanging tuxedo pants are cool for chillin as long as you got matching underwear.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

Dave Clinger
Roberta Miller
Kayle Leogrande
Chad Gerlach
Dave Zabriskie
Fraud Landis
Graeme Obree
Tammy Thomas
Major Taylor
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov
Theo Bos
Robbie Hunter
Fukushima brothers
Pantani
Vandenbroucke
Jorg Jaksche
Cadel Evans
Dave Bruylandts
Ludo Dierckxsens
Gilberto Simoni
Chicken Rasmussen

fatandfast said:

are you serious with that?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Dave Clinger
Roberta Miller
Kayle Leogrande
Chad Gerlach
Dave Zabriskie
Fraud Landis
Graeme Obree
Tammy Thomas
Major Taylor
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov
Theo Bos
Robbie Hunter
Fukushima brothers
Pantani
Vandenbroucke
Jorg Jaksche
Cadel Evans
Dave Bruylandts
Ludo Dierckxsens
Gilberto Simoni
Chicken Rasmussen

OK, why these guys? Are they all "minorities" in some way?

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:

+1 agree fully..

Its just occured to me, that you never hear of homosexual cyclists (and that comment isnt meant to be inflammatory, was just a passing thought)

TRENDING THREADS