• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2014 Tour De France!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2014 Tour De France!

• 1 (Crap)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he also thinks it's a great course for him. LOL

Actually it is. This Tour, he suffered on the long climbs, like Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez. This year, the climbs are mostly 8-12 k, which is better for him. Of course, Chamrousse is longer, but i think not that hard.

The stage to Arenberg has to suit him more like Quintana, Froome and Jrod (if he starts). And if you look at the flat TT, he was the best GC man after Froome. So that final time trial is not a big problem for him.

He is a potential top 5-finisher with this route, but could also easily finish 10th.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
you mean the Balés descent?
Didn't you watch it already in 2010, 2012 and this year?

Arredondo said:
First k's quite technical, these were the km were Schleck dropped Gesink, Gadret etc. After a couple of k, it's just a simple one, lots of long straight parts at 5/6%

The gaps at the finish of course developed due to the chain problems from Andy, not due to the descent. Sammy Sanchez tried to put pressure on Contador and Menchov, but couldn't get a decent gap.

Ah, of course, that descent. Just got up a bit ago, now I remember it though. Thanks.

Hopefully some gaps between GC guys going over the top then riders work to maintain or stretch them out.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Don't think anyone one mentioned Nibs yet...

Could be a very good route for him. Will be interesting to see him on the cobbles - he could fair better than Froome, Quintana and co.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
fraserhughes said:
Don't think anyone one mentioned Nibs yet...

Could be a very good route for him. Will be interesting to see him on the cobbles - he could fair better than Froome, Quintana and co.

the route is horrible for nibali. no downhil finishes, no real technical stages so far and a very long flat untechnical itt, I think he's better in shorter itt's and technical itt's or climbing itt's even

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if Horner could get himself a team for this tour.

Yes he will lose about 7 minutes to Dawg in the ITT but until then we could have some fireworks.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the route is horrible for nibali. no downhil finishes, no real technical stages so far and a very long flat untechnical itt, I think he's better in shorter itt's and technical itt's or climbing itt's even

Whilst a route stuffed full of technical descents would have been ideal for him that was never going to happen.

I think there are plenty of stages that Nibali and Astana can use to ride attackingly. The shorter climbs will be better for him than long tempo climbs where the sky train and Froome are so dominant.

He should also lose less time than Quintana & Schleck in a flat TT.

... or maybe that's all just wishful thinking on my part! :rolleyes:

RownhamHill said:
So the Guardian have a stage 9 profile up - looks like fun up to the last 20kms. . .
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/23/tour-de-france-2014-key-stages
TourdeFrance2014Vosgesstage.png

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Looking forward to see the GC people riding P-R. I was going to give it a 9, love the route. Voted 10 because of the probable line-up of riders.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
I walked up Jenkin Road a few weeks ago

It IS that steep. And I will be there next year !!

Wow, that's cool. Have a lot of fun. This will be a spectaculair stage, it's even to tough for Sagan. Guys like Valverde or Jrod can win here.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
No way that's too tough for Sagan. He even won the stage to Chieti in Tirreno.

Yeah, at the Tirreno, this is the Tour. It's a level above the rest, so if the GC guys are going to decide to race early, he will drop.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
and Sagan will be weaker in the Tour?

No, but the opponents will be better. A stage like this in the Tour is something else than Tirreno. He could survive, but (i think) only if the race is going to start on the last two climbs, because he has the kick to go with the attacks. But if they, what i'm expecting, starting to race on 30 k, when the final begins, i think a man like Jrod or Valverde will win.

the sceptic said:
I wonder what Parrulo looks for in a tour if this is a 4 for him :p

Eshnar said:
decent mountain stages I guess.

^^that

The bales stage gave me cancer. . . . what the hell is wrong with them? Flat run in into Bales?!!!

The short back to back MTF's on the pyrenees are silly, imo one should have been a really long though mountain stage.

And correct me if i am wrong, but isn't this the third year in a row the Tour barely goes over 2000m?

The Alps just seem bland to me with no stage that really stands out.

I do love the cobbles and the vogues stages seem to be brilliantly designed, i am completely ok with the long time trial and wouldn't even be too bothered with a long prologue like they used in 09 (15k or something like that)

If they have a some good hilly stages i may reconsider and give it a 5/6.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Parrulo said:
^^that

The bales stage gave me cancer. . . . what the hell is wrong with them? Flat run in into Bales?!!!

The short back to back MTF's on the pyrenees are silly, imo one should have been a really long though mountain stage.

And correct me if i am wrong, but isn't this the third year in a row the Tour barely goes over 2000m?

The Alps just seem bland to me with no stage that really stands out.

I do love the cobbles and the vogues stages seem to be brilliantly designed, i am completely ok with the long time trial and wouldn't even be too bothered with a long prologue like they used in 09 (15k or something like that)

If they have a some good hilly stages i may reconsider and give it a 5/6.

Look at stage 2 to Leeds, you can't get any better than that. 6 climbs in the last 30 k, mostly 1.5/2 k at 10%.

Arredondo said:
No, but the opponents will be better. A stage like this in the Tour is something else than Tirreno. He could survive, but (i think) only if the race is going to start on the last two climbs, because he has the kick to go with the attacks. But if they, what i'm expecting, starting to race on 30 k, when the final begins, i think a man like Jrod or Valverde will win.

Only mechanical or Gilbert (2011 version) can take this one from Sagan, unless he spend whole winter partying and fu...ing all those slovak girls who want him. ;)

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm imagining Le Tour '14 with all Andy and Frank, Contador, Nibali, Nairo, Purito, Valverde, Cadel or even Tejay, Mollema, Costa, Talansky and so on near their top form. Screw the parcours, the riders make the race. This one can be very arduous if they want to.

Also forgot both Cancellara and Boonen to drag their leaders.

TRENDING THREADS