• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2017 Giro d'Italia

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How good was the 100th Giro

Votes: 6 3.6%

Votes: 24 14.4%

Votes: 50 29.9%

Votes: 38 22.8%

Votes: 23 13.8%

Votes: 13 7.8%

Votes: 6 3.6%

Votes: 5 3.0%

Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
1st mountain stage was really bad
Then it picked up
The route was too mountainous in the last week especially the queen stage. It left the riders too tired but they tried hard. yet there was not much movement. The GC suspense was till the end due to other polemics. But still i give it 9 because TD was a first timer and nobody knew what would happen.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I'd say 2013 Giro definitely was better than 2014, maybe even 2012. We forget just how horribly bad designed the Giro of 2014 was. Val Martello was nice, the Grappa ITT was awesome, but the rest was crap, crap, crap, crap.
2013 Giro was very bad (the last 2 weeks, at least. The first week was good with Marina di Ascea and Pescara being the notable ones. Also Firenze wasn't that bad) because of the cancelled stages.
2014 Giro was a horribly designed route. It was one of the worst race routes ever. But becuase of some circumstances we got an awesome stage (Val Martello) and a pretty good 1-2 ones (Montecassino, Oropa)

I voted 9, and I know that it's extremely generous. I agree with the statements that the route was poorly designed, particularly for the 100th anniversary edition. But (and hrotha may call me out on this once again :p ) the riders make the race, and they did.

There were a lot of story lines: we saw a great hope fulfill his potential and get on top of the srinting world in Fernando Gaviria. Mikel Landa's quest for a win and a jersey. Pierre Rolland's aggressive riding paying off, it goes on and on.

How about TJVG's demise? I'm no fan of his, but it was painful. I really felt for him and was glad that he won a stage, found a gleam of hope.

And then of course, the GC competition was thrilling. A new face emerged: Tom Dunoulin. Had he been the guy who lost the Giro for taking a dump, after his loss at the Vuelta, I'm not sure that he would ever recover mentally. I'm happy for him and for the many Dutch on this forum. Good for you!!!

And then, of course, there was Tibopino :) ending three miserable GT years and show us what a champion he is. Il Grandissimo! Il Cappo di Tutti Coppi! Yes, I'm getting carried away :) .

It was a great race, and I'll mention Jungels, Zakarin, Bauke, and Pozzo, all great riders. Big thanks to them. What a show!

Yes, it depends on the prospective. I like long range attacks too, I can find a few more things that would lower my rating, but it can't take away for what was a great race.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
hfer07 said:
7 for me. sadly all the emotions happened in the last week, while the previous ones were somewhat blunt... on the Positive side - the World's introduction of Tom as the next GT contender is always exciting-same goes for Jungels, which is a huge talent on the right path - and of course- The successful campaign of Gavira, winning 4 stages & living up highly to the hype. Other honorable mentions go to Pinot & Nibali- great warriors, great riders & always deliver the goods.

the disappointment? Quintana. It was his race to lose since day one- and he did. I just learned he was ill during the 2nd week with fever, he stated publicly he was not near to his best, but despite the setbacks, Tom did have higher ones to overcome and he did.

It was a good Giro, but strangely, the lowest rate in my book in the last 5 editions.....
Lower than 2012-2014?

I think so. The Centenary factor counts greatly- It should have been close to 2010/2011 in emotions & parcours difficulty....
BTW 2012 was entertaining despite Ryder's way of winning it. 2014 was Nairo's 1st Giro victory being above everyone, but there were very nice stages to watch.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Valv.Piti said:
Or just the 2nd week of the 2011 Giro, climbing some of the absolute toughest and most beautiful climbs in the world day in and day out. Then you add Crostis and you golden. :cool:
2011 giro had crostis but it was cancelled :(
Crostis's descent is the most insane thing i ever seen in cycling

I voted 7.

Stage 1: Easily the best gt stage of this decade
Stage 2: One of the two big disappointments of this first week. There is a pink jersey up for grabs in a medium mountain stage and the one who gets it is Greipel in a sprint :eek:
Stage 3: Not a great stage but better than the average flat stage due to echelons in the last 12 kilometers
Stage 4: One of the most disappointing gt stages of this decade
Stage 5: Pibernik's solo was fun, all in all still boring but not really worse than expected
Stage 6: Again, I didn't really expect more
Stage 7: Same as above, the number of boring stages in succession was a bit annoying though.
Stage 8: Decent medium mountain stage.
Stage 9: In my opinion a very exciting stage. The big crash was ofc a shame, but after that the carnage caused by Movi and Dumoulin time trailing up Blockhaus was great.
Stage 10: I never find ITT's very exciting but at least the outcome was great for the race
Stage 11: Good stage, but it could have been much better if the break had collaborated well. When Dumoulin was completely isolated after the first climb and Amador in a huge break in front I just really hoped for a L'Aquila kind of stage.
Stage 12: boring flat stage
Stage 13: boring flat stage
Stage 14: Really underwhelming stage design but the final climb was amazing. The look in Quinta's face when he looked back and saw Dumoulin was great.
Stage 15: Neither better nor worse than expected
Stage 16: Actually a disappointing stage, but that said it was still a good stage.
Stage 17: Good breakaway stage. Polanc being in virtual Maglia Rosa for a short time was cool, and I was very happy for Rolland
Stage 18: Could have been an incredible stage if Quintana and Nibali had a few seconds advantage over the Grödnerjoch, but unfortunately it came down to the final climb
Stage 19: Actually the same as above. If Dumoulin hadn't caught the front group this could have been an epic stage. Now it was a stage which started extremely exciting and ended with a very weird mtf.
Stage 20: And again carnage very early on but because they used the wrong side of the Grappa the group in front couldn't stay away and nobody wanted to attack on the last 8 km of the pass which were actually hardly uphill. Last 25 km were amazing though.
Stage 21: The outcome was quite obvious pretty early but still a way more thrilling finale than usually in gt's.

Only looking on the stages this would probably only be a 6 or even a 5, but although a close gc usually isn't that important to me I just had to rate this higher because of the close battle. How often do you watch a gt where the top 5 could all still possibly win the whole thing before the last two stages. Thats what this Giro will be remembered for.

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I am quite biased but the riders really made this Giro, also some legendary stages, for me it was a 9 at least. For the expert it might have been disappointing how the stages were set up but for the casual fan, the non-expert, it was entertainment at the highest level.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
I voted 7.

Stage 1: Easily the best gt stage of this decade
Stage 2: One of the two big disappointments of this first week. There is a pink jersey up for grabs in a medium mountain stage and the one who gets it is Greipel in a sprint :eek:
Stage 3: Not a great stage but better than the average flat stage due to echelons in the last 12 kilometers
Stage 4: One of the most disappointing gt stages of this decade
Stage 5: Pibernik's solo was fun, all in all still boring but not really worse than expected
Stage 6: Again, I didn't really expect more
Stage 7: Same as above, the number of boring stages in succession was a bit annoying though.
Stage 8: Decent medium mountain stage.
Stage 9: In my opinion a very exciting stage. The big crash was ofc a shame, but after that the carnage caused by Movi and Dumoulin time trailing up Blockhaus was great.
Stage 10: I never find ITT's very exciting but at least the outcome was great for the race
Stage 11: Good stage, but it could have been much better if the break had collaborated well. When Dumoulin was completely isolated after the first climb and Amador in a huge break in front I just really hoped for a L'Aquila kind of stage.
Stage 12: boring flat stage
Stage 13: boring flat stage
Stage 14: Really underwhelming stage design but the final climb was amazing. The look in Quinta's face when he looked back and saw Dumoulin was great.
Stage 15: Neither better nor worse than expected
Stage 16: Actually a disappointing stage, but that said it was still a good stage.
Stage 17: Good breakaway stage. Polanc being in virtual Maglia Rosa for a short time was cool, and I was very happy for Rolland
Stage 18: Could have been an incredible stage if Quintana and Nibali had a few seconds advantage over the Grödnerjoch, but unfortunately it came down to the final climb
Stage 19: Actually the same as above. If Dumoulin hadn't caught the front group this could have been an epic stage. Now it was a stage which started extremely exciting and ended with a very weird mtf.
Stage 20: And again carnage very early on but because they used the wrong side of the Grappa the group in front couldn't stay away and nobody wanted to attack on the last 8 km of the pass which were actually hardly uphill. Last 25 km were amazing though.
Stage 21: The outcome was quite obvious pretty early but still a way more thrilling finale than usually in gt's.

Only looking on the stages this would probably only be a 6 or even a 5, but although a close gc usually isn't that important to me I just had to rate this higher because of the close battle. How often do you watch a gt where the top 5 could all still possibly win the whole thing before the last two stages. Thats what this Giro will be remembered for.
Are you trolling us on stage 1?

Voted 7. The course was a bit underwhelming , but the riders delivered. Since I don't have the possibility anymore to watch hours and hours of each stage, and only watch the highlights (if necessary that can still take 2 hours or so), I found it more fun that it actually was. So doubted a bit a about an 8, since it was entertaining enough on the days I had some spare time.

6.. severe lack of panache in the climber group this year, just Pinot lifting the rating somewhat. Needed better hilly stages to mix up the action.
Good sprinter field, but for some reason I'm sitting with the feeling we never reached a top level in the bunch sprints due to incidents or non-commitment.

Liked the winner of the race and some of the break action.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
7, not that great and the route kinda sucked. That said, the riders did what they could with the route and at the end everyone was half dead.
The weather was also atypical, almost no rain and hot weather.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The GC competition was terrific. Uncertainty to the end, changes in who's favoured to win. But there were just too many boring stages before the last week