• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2019 Giro d'Italia

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2019 Giro d'Italia

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 10 9.7%

Votes: 16 15.5%

Votes: 25 24.3%

Votes: 20 19.4%

Votes: 20 19.4%

Votes: 9 8.7%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Climbing said:
I realized only later that the third week was poorly designed, Vegni failed once again pretty much in similar vein of 2017 last week.
Plus way too backloaded.

Problem is that TdF and Vuelta will be even worse...
Yeah.

One might think I rated it low but I'm not sure I rated any of the last 7 Tours any higher.

The race really felt great during stage 13-16 and you can add the lesser stages 12 and 17 in the ends if you want. Those your stages were great, unfortunately Gavia was cancelled, but you'd think that would make for a great GT. Problem was nothing really happened apart from those four stages apart from the time trials and the way way too early Passo Manghen :(

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
It wasn't strictly backloaded; the decisive part were stages 13 to 16. The Giro was over when Carapaz and Landa caught Nibali back before the top of the Mortirolo. Menghen was too far from the finish to have much impact. I'm not sure if the Gavia would have made a lot of difference. I'd say stages 13 to 16 were good, but what came before and after wasn't interesting GC-wise, apart from the time trials. Fortunately there were some fun stage winners towards the end, like Chaves and Cima, who outfinished the sprinters.

The first four in the GC all might have won if circumstances and tactical decisions had been different. Nibali and Roglic were the two dogs fighting for a bone; Carapaz was the third who ran away with it. He was strong and agressive, but it's very disappointing that he will become another part of the Ineos train, choosing money over sporting achievement. Landa once again wasn't the leader of his team - perhaps next year at Bahrein.

With Thomas and Froome approaching the end of their careers Carapaz and Bernal won't have to wait long and Bernal was already going to be leading at the Giro. Sivakov also looks like another talent with a future. Bernal will probably lead at the Giro again next year and Carapaz might get the Vuelta. If Froome doesn't win the Tour this year I think he will return to the Giro and Bernal might get the Tour depending on the routes of course. As happened with Porte and Landa if riders don't get opportunities at strong teams they tend to move on but of course Froome and Thomas are not going anywhere and Bernal has a long term contract.

I'm pleased for Carapaz, and he was a worthy winner for sure - rode with maturity beyond his years.

But the highlight of the Giro for me over the past several years, has been that the parcours has invited open, aggressive racing across all 21 stages - I don't mean necessarily on every stage, but the excitement has generally been spread across all 3 weeks, with various stages producing unexpected action and some surprise results.
This year I truly felt there was none of that - the parcours was such that the race didn't really start at all until (if I'm being generous) the end of the second week, and even then it seemed to fizzle rather than spark into life.

There were a couple of good stages along the way (stages 12, 13, 15) but nothing exceptional, and ultimately the whole race never really grabbed my attention.

A shame. It's a 4 from me.

4.5/10:

- 2.5/10 for the first half: I liked the prologue, and the second TT was OK, the rest was extremely bland - and especially the succession of uneventful days was a killer.
- 6.5/10 for the second half: some nice stages and Cima's win was fun, but overall a definite lack of real tension for GC, and the queen's stage was poorly designed, with Passo Manghen way too far from the end. The final TT had zero GC excitement.

Considered 6, but gave it 5. It was mostly unspectacular, especially the first week with some individually good stages here and there, but in similar vein as Davesta, the whole race never captivated me. I am glad that Carapaz won though, but I didn't think of that, when I gave it a 5. And I don't think that I should either

Cons:
To many flat stages, needed more middle mountain stages
None of the big 5 delivered much excitement
No real Queen stage with the Gavia out.

Pros:
Cicconi
Ackerman

Usually the Giro is filled with tension and excitement. This one was a bit of a damp squib.

What do we do now?

D8I0wYrXUAAsae4.jpg:large

+
Ackermann
Benedetti
Haga

-
Everything else

Somehow this Giro never really started for me. Strange race, the main GC riders just faded away one after another and somehow Carapaz was then left to win the race. Probably not even Carapaz himself would consider himself to be the best rider of this Giro.

I give it a 5/10.

4 and I'm being generous.
For starters, with that design, we were expecting some racing in just 9 stages.. Not 3 weeks... terribly backloaded.
The queen stage was amputated, and the replacement didn't help... Little climbs at the beginning to make up the numbers.
How many sprints and TTs on the weekends?
Another side effect is the sprinters left the race early.

One favorite wanted to get rid of the jersey ASAP, so they were racing negatively.
Too many stages won by the breakaway... I love when they win fair and square, but I hate when they are gifted the stage.

A 6-horse race turned quickly in a head to head, which developed tactically (and negatively) and an underdog took advantage.
The deserving winner, was overlooked while Nibali and Roglic looked at each other (that was "thrilling" sigh).

This Giro was kind of like Tour de France. 3 from me.

+ Carapaz
+ underdogs winning stages

- course
- Dumoulin crashing out,
- Yates missing with the form completely,
- Roglic peaking to early,
- no real penultimate/queen stage
- no Bernal

Tonton: "[Carapaz] he showed courage and strength and he will (God willing) inspire other GT riders to attack and shape their destiny. That's refreshing."

All other things aside, the thing I dislike about stage races is that they are too formulaic. I liked this GdI because the formula was off several times and guys from breaks won, and Carapaz won the GC thanks in part to his courage and aggression (changing the formula at least a bit). That being said, after he showed his courage and had time in hand, RC (and Movi) fell back into the formula.

Re:

Arked said:
This Giro was kind of like Tour de France. 3 from me.

+ Carapaz
+ underdogs winning stages

- course
- Dumoulin crashing out,
- Yates missing with the form completely,
- Roglic peaking to early,
- no real penultimate/queen stage
- no Bernal

I gave it a little higher rating (a 5) but I agree with your main points, and Carapaz winning was a good revelation. He has strong appeal for fans -- looks like one of the good guys. I might add a couple more points:

+ I like having a time trial near the end and enough time-trial kilometers to give the pure climbers something to think about, although 3 ITTs may be too many for some, and I can understand that.

- De Plus going home early with sickness ensured Roglic's isolation
- awful weather on Mortirolo stage . . . stymied attacks on descent (just one of those things)
- the Nibali/Roglic "feud" . . . especially on stage 14
- lack of suspense about outcome in final stages (which is a testament to just how good Carapaz was)

- bad first week stages design
- "lack of suspense about outcome in final stages" as JosephK wrote above.
- breakaway madness on some stages

+/- Lopez's semi trolling riding style, the guy has serious problems with tactics and time and power management. Majka with his watts could seize this race. In the reins.

+ interesting winner
+ Chavez coming back from a long way journey
+ Majka saying he isn't already dead
+ some well deserved stage wins (Benedetti, Chavez, Cima, Bilbao, Haga)

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
+
Ackermann
Benedetti
Haga

-
Everything else

Somehow this Giro never really started for me. Strange race, the main GC riders just faded away one after another and somehow Carapaz was then left to win the race. Probably not even Carapaz himself would consider himself to be the best rider of this Giro.

I give it a 5/10.
Well, that's utter nonsense as well as being untrue.

I really liked stage 13 because of the scenery of the climb and the action that was provided. And the Mortirolo stage was also worthy as a Mortirolo stage even without Gavia. Same with stage 20, where the racing on Passo Manghen made up for a more dull second part of the stage.

But like almost everyone here I found the first 11 days to be almost eventless. The only time gaps that happened in GC between the two first ITT's were down to crashes.

I guess this Giro just feels slightly underwhelming, when I compare it to the last 4 or 5 years. The surrealism of Carapaz winning it in a controlling fashion probably also adds to that belief.

Gave it a 5. It was fine, I enjoyed it as always. Didn't have any particular magic for me this time, no big drama, no big standout stages. For me a 5 is an enjoyable, watchable race. I mean, it's the Giro. Hard to do worse than a 5, it's just such a beautiful race.

Actually I should have given it a 7. No Froome. Light years more enjoyable.

I gave it a 2. The only reason it wasn't a 1 is that we didn't have one team squashing it as Sky have frequently done.

But otherwise, it was about as bad as you could get.

Hills.

Please, GT organisers, give us hilly, unpredictable, classics type stages.

TRENDING THREADS