• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia Route

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate The Route (10 best, 1 worst)

Results are only viewable after voting.
stage 4 is a pleasant surprise. Among the hardest stages in the race, apart from the high mountain stages.

The second weekend is pretty good. Gran Sasso doesn't really work. A stage with a relatively easy finish should have come earlier. A harder mountain stage would have been a better fit at this point.

the second week is terrible, IMO. We have to hope someone who we think could win the Giro loses significant time on Croix de Coeur. Unlikely at this point in the race - if riders can just keep their powder dry for the insanely hard 3rd week.

That leaves the descent / mechanicals on the unpaved part. I hope the descent is safe. Northern slopes, though, the first part unpaved and at high altitude ...I dunno who signed off on this, but a rider strike / a neutered stage won't surprise me. I think it will just be Gran San Bernardo - Crans in the end.

The rest of the second week is really bad. The Bergamo stage will only be about the final hill / descent.

3rd week - terrible pacing, but very hard overall. It's been a while since we've had something similar. Of course I'll be watching every minute of the mountain stages and MTT.

The ITTs are too short. If they had been longer there would be more of an incentive to race certain stages full-on (such as the Crans Montana stage)

I cannot put a number on this. A toddler could have designed a better Giro, but it's so hard at the very end that it definitely intrigues...

Last edited:
FfSn5GeXwAg5JHD

Overview by @ammattipyoraily

Tbf, that stage has a little climb and rolling terrain near the end, so it's not set in stone that it will be your typical bunch sprint.
That said, I agree with you, not a stage that you put on a weekend when you have a larger TV audience.

afwul stage for a Sunday.

But the type of stage itself is quite common in the giro. Giro stages never have been pan flat. You find a lot of examples like this. But in the 80's and 90's they just rode at walking speed in those kind of stages the first hours.

afwul stage for a Sunday.

But the type of stage itself is quite common in the giro. Giro stages never have been pan flat. You find a lot of examples like this. But in the 80's and 90's they just rode at walking speed in those kind of stages the first hours.
Maybe that‘s why it‘s on a Saturday.
Really though, you can‘t just have mountain and super-tough hill stages every day. Sure, the placement on the weekend is suboptimal but a colourful mix of stages is one of the essentials for an interesting GT route imo

As far as I know RCS wishes to have a permanent final stage in Rome BUT Rome is a logistical nightmare and I'm not sure the local administrations will comply. I wouldn't bet on it.
After spending over 1 Week in Rome for work reasons I agree, has more in common with your typical Latin American capital than an European one.
I'd always have a final TT that finishes in the Arena of Verona and vary the length depending on the route. It's super stunning and unique to finish the race in such a venue.

The climb that they are doing 5 times on the final stage in Rome (near Villa Borghese) is actually not that bad for a parade stage, 1km at 4%.
Let's hope that nobody crashes because of all the garbage on the roads...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
3. A really bad route. If prudhomme did a route like that, he would get more hate.

The first 2 weeks will be boring. Lago laceno, stage of bergamo and gran sasso are weak and lazy mountain stages.

They are missing the great and mythical climbs of the giro. Finestre, gavia, mortirolo, zoncolan, fauniera, stelvio.

Fortunately croix de coeur and giau with the tre cime di lavaredo are the only great segments of this giro.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99 and KOM
3. A really bad route. If prudhomme did a route like that, he would get more hate.

The first 2 weeks will be boring. Lago laceno, stage of bergamo and gran sasso are weak and lazy mountain stages.

They are missing the great and mythical climbs of the giro. Finestre, gavia, mortirolo, zoncolan, fauniera, stelvio.

Fortunately croix de coeur and giau with the tre cime di lavaredo are the only great segments of this giro.

Prudhomme does not design any GT routes. He allows his lackeys Gouvenou and Guillen to put out crap every year

• Sad
As far as I know RCS wishes to have a permanent final stage in Rome BUT Rome is a logistical nightmare and I'm not sure the local administrations will comply. I wouldn't bet on it.
Roma is also not Paris, where a sense of grandeur prevailed in its xix century redevelopment, for which you have the Tour Eiffel at the end of an enormous boulevard. By contrast, Roma has an ancient urban fabric with the only logistical place to finish the Giro being the Via dei Fori Imperiali (of fascist epoche), literally a platform emerging through ancient ruins. Here you parade through an epopea of Classical Antiquity, but where organizing a World Tour cycling race is highly problematical.

Roma is also not Paris, where a sense of grandeur prevailed in its xix century redevelopment, for which you have the Tour Eiffel at the end of an enormous boulevard. By contrast, Roma has an ancient urban fabric with the only logistical place to finish the Giro being the Via dei Fori Imperiali (of fascist epoche), literally a platform emerging through ancient ruins. Here you parade through an epopea of Classical Antiquity, but where organizing a World Tour cycling race is highly problematical.

I think you mean the arc de triomphe

Sure.

If u think cycling is only about climbing mountains.

Reactions: KZD and yaco