• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2023 Giro d'Italia from

• Total voters
Next year new Giro needs something more than diesel engines and watt machines as the main GC contenders in the Giro. Of course it would probably have been better without Remco withdrawing, but riders like Hindley, Tao back in form and instead of Thomas, Mas and perhaps Ayuso instead of Almeida would definitely be interesting.

To all the people who voted 8 or higher: Would you have given the race more than 5 if instead of Roglic Thomas would have won in the end?
It's not about Roglic. It's about any individual that lost the Tour dream in stage 20 at PDBF, had multiple devastating crashes to his body and morale and always came back. Stage 20 in this Giro had then a drama filled narrative with fate clashing with sheer human will and how sport is ultimately always about beating yourself and reaching impossible grounds.

Of course Roglic is the only one in the peloton that fullfils such criteria that even a non-fan can acknowledge as having a huge pathos. Ultimately it's more about the story that a rider brings with him and where cycling and life become the same. If washed-up riders like Sagan, Cavendish, Froome, Quintana performed a similar feat after periods of self-doubt and public scrutiny, that would definitely add up to any GT rating being over 5. And that's the memo.

It's not about Roglic. It's about any individual that lost the Tour dream in stage 20 at PDBF, had multiple devastating crashes to his body and morale and always came back. Stage 20 in this Giro had then a drama filled narrative with fate clashing with sheer human will and how sport is ultimately always about beating yourself and reaching impossible grounds.

Of course Roglic is the only one in the peloton that fullfils such criteria that even a non-fan can acknowledge as having a huge pathos. Ultimately it's more about the story that a rider brings with him and where cycling and life become the same. If washed-up riders like Sagan, Cavendish, Froome, Quintana performed a similar feat after periods of self-doubt and public scrutiny, that would definitely add up to any GT rating being over 5. And that's the memo.

So you rate the whole GT based on a few seconds at the end which swung the pendulum into a certain direction.

Personally, if I rate a GT I think of the whole 3 weeks and no matter what happens at the end the rest will not be forgotten.
If it works that way for fans though it's no wonder the organizers backload the races like they do. And an MTT at the end of an otherwise GC-non-event seems the perfect way to get such a few decisive minutes.

To all the people who voted 8 or higher: Would you have given the race more than 5 if instead of Roglic Thomas would have won in the end?
Not for me, my friend. Pinot winning the whole thing would have been an 8, the most beautiful of them all :) .

If some gave this bike race an 8 or more: good for them: they had a blast and they can't get over it. Good for them.

3.82? That's about fair, just about 8...

Reactions: Tem and topcat
So you rate the whole GT based on a few seconds at the end which swung the pendulum into a certain direction.

Personally, if I rate a GT I think of the whole 3 weeks and no matter what happens at the end the rest will not be forgotten.
If it works that way for fans though it's no wonder the organizers backload the races like they do. And an MTT at the end of an otherwise GC-non-event seems the perfect way to get such a few decisive minutes.
Likewise, you can only say that a man lived a happy life or not after he dies. Priam was a king until in old age he lost Troy and his son.

Some Remco fans : well-versed in sarcasm, laughing at people who don't share their opinions.
Some Roglic fans : presenting opinions in sentimental decoration as universal truth.

Not that far from Sky fans vs Contador or Nibali fans war from few years ago. Some things stay the same.
Yes, sports in general and cycling especially are about universal truths about what is to be human and facing the odds while enduring pain and the fear of failure. And emotions are a key part of that. That's why there's a whole field of ancient literature dedicated to olympic athletes that excelled.

I think the way this ended with the storyline of Roglic and retribution from PDBF/crashes etc has to elevate it over what it had been, likewise if Almeida had overtaken both of them that’s still huge GC action. But maybe 2 points swing either direction, and certainly not from a 5 to an 8.

I could get behind giving it a higher rating due to attritional conditions but I think they were exaggerated this race. I rooted for Roglic and still gave it a 3.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I give it 5. Why? people always have too high expectation. With this starting line-up in particular. But, when things went south (with Remco abandoned in particular), we were left with more or less GC riders with same quirk and ability, means no need to attack (and imo heighten unpredictability). People (at least this forums) didn't lower expectation. Also, i find race overall (daily battle for stages, with some exceptions) exciting.

Reactions: Monte Serra
When nothing much happens for 19 stages, except for rain-soaked tarmac, stray dogs in Colombia causing crashes, rude Covid abandons, broken pelvises, an irate and knucklehead frenchman abusing minute south americans, Australian led, lilly-livered cyclists threatening a strike because it might rain (bring back an Italian and that won't happen); playing tiddlywinks instead of war on queen stages in a back-loaded course that produced a giant turd, with only partial redemption by the penalty kick of a grand circus MTT that marked the match and a final passarella around incomparably bella Roma, well, then, it's a 2. The Giro needs another admiral at the helm, time for Vegni to go.

Last edited:

Tem

May 22, 2023
Visit site
Pros:
- Remco (1. stage).. great first TT, really strong
- Milan.. there are rumors he signed sponsorship with bobbleheads.com ;)
- Roglič.. I Capuccini flex
- Healy.. Andre Agassi of cycling? :)
- Gee.. i know i know, i should write his name in 2nd row.. doh
- Pinot.. blue looks good on him
- Thomas.. kraw chhh krkch row thrrgg (for those that done speak Welsh, that means 'great effort, classy rider')
- Almeida.. first GT podium? slow but steady? :)
- Roglič.. tbh, he prolly dropped that chain on purpose :p
- Cav.. him going around and hugging every1 after last stage put a smile on my face :)
- breakaways.. lots and lots of them

Cons:
- Remco (covid).. lost opportunity, but im sure he will come back even stronger
- Hart (crash).. saddest moment of Giro imo :(.. he looked really strong this year
- not much GC action.. boooooooring
- weak(ish) sprinters field.. not my favourite part of GT, but still.. was not as intense as i expected

So.. 7 for me :p (and yes, i know i counted Roglič twice :))

Pros:
- Remco (1. stage).. great first TT, really strong
- Milan.. there are rumors he signed sponsorship with bobbleheads.com ;)
- Roglič.. I Capuccini flex
- Healy.. Andre Agassi of cycling? :)
- Gee.. i know i know, i should write his name in 2nd row.. doh
- Pinot.. blue looks good on him
- Thomas.. kraw chhh krkch row thrrgg (for those that done speak Welsh, that means 'great effort, classy rider')
- Almeida.. first GT podium? slow but steady? :)
- Roglič.. tbh, he prolly dropped that chain on purpose :p
- Cav.. him going around and hugging every1 after last stage put a smile on my face :)
- breakaways.. lots and lots of them

Cons:
- Remco (covid).. lost opportunity, but im sure he will come back even stronger
- Hart (crash).. saddest moment of Giro imo :(.. he looked really strong this year
- not much GC action.. boooooooring
- weak(ish) sprinters field.. not my favourite part of GT, but still.. was not as intense as i expected

So.. 7 for me :p (and yes, i know i counted Roglič twice :))
A witty and ironic response (chapeau), however, I take umbrage with you final tally: a 7? Really? When not much of anything happens around Italy for three weeks and all we hear are crickets (and I know a cast of characters was forced into an early exit, but...), it can only mean one thing: a) poor course design and b) a remaining cast of characters with zero panache. By contrast, a 7 means a very good Giro and this was anything but a very good Giro. Let the criticism role.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS