• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rebuilding a Campy shifter

Vecchio's

I think there is a step-by-step video on YouTube.

I recently sent a set of '03 Chorus levers to Peter Chisholm at Vecchio's in Boulder. He rebuilt them and had 'em back in a week. They shift like they just came out of the box new.

I know I'd screw something up if I tried it myself.

I watched the Youtube vids and googled a bunch of pages showing the procedure. It does not look too difficult, so I am going to order the parts from Branford and give it a shot. If I screw it up then I can always give it to Vecchio's.

I needs my winter machine in top condition.

BroDeal said:
I watched the Youtube vids and googled a bunch of pages showing the procedure. It does not look too difficult, so I am going to order the parts from Branford and give it a shot. If I screw it up then I can always give it to Vecchio's.

I needs my winter machine in top condition.

Just don't buy what they suggest. All you need are shift springs and maybe a spring carrier. They will tell you that a shift disc is needed but I haven't seen one of these wear out and I have been rebuilding these for 20 years.

It's not hard but it can be difficult. Older pointy top levers, the back bolt is left threaded for the RH lever. On the rounded top ones the back bolt is proper threaded on both sides(left-loosey). 4mm on the older, 3mm one the newer, TORX on 2008.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Another good hint is if you don't have that contraption (bar with base in black) they use in the video's, just move the shifter holders to the end of the bars and mount the shifter there pointing down for the last part where you reassemble the final spring etc.

That will make it super easy, doing it in your hands tends to fudge things up unless you have three hands :p

I just refurbished my 10 speed shifters, they now feel like new again, the new hoods make them look and smell new as well.

Almost forgot, remove/install the brake lever pins in your hand, don't bang them on some hard surface, you'll end up dinging/scratching something. You do need a punch thin and long enough to get it out as well.

I finally got around to rebuilding my old shifter. It was really easy. I did not bother to take the brake lever off. I shoved an Allen wrench between the top of the brake lever and the shifter body to apply pressure to the center bolt while winding the clock spring.

TRENDING THREADS