• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

samhocking said:
Need to wait until he's 23-35 in my opinion because that's when your brain and body physiology stops developing and plateaus. He might just be a bit of a freak in that he has little more development still to happen and others will catch up over next few years. It's like at school, when there's always the 6 foot 13 year old with stubble kind of thing.
That was me. I'm still 6 foot but my beard game is much stronger.
 
Re:

"At times Evenepoel appeared to be riding in fast forward, while the best of the rest were made to look ordinary over the demanding Austrian course. Italy, Germany, and the Czech Republic all had numbers during key stages of the race but no tactics would have unsettled Evenepoel's ride"
masking_agent said:
Kudos to the doctors and trainers who have him on a good doping program already. He'll definitely get a better one and be able to become a team leader on a pro team some day
Remco Evenepoel will make his professional debut for Quickstep at Colombia Oro y Paz 2019. Last year's leaders and stage winners at Colombia Oro y Paz :

Gaviria
Alaphilippe
Urán
Quintana
Bernal

Seems pretty straightforward that these are inferior cyclists who "will be made to look ordinary" since "no tactics can unsettle Evenepoel's ride"
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
I will be surprised if he lasts long in the pro peloton.

He was very well 'programmed up' this week, is using motors or a combination. He looked like he barely broke a sweat.

He had to make up 2 minutes after the crash and still won without a worry. Not normal.
 
Jul 29, 2016
365
0
0
Re:

Benotti69 said:
I will be surprised if he lasts long in the pro peloton.

He was very well 'programmed up' this week, is using motors or a combination. He looked like he barely broke a sweat.

He had to make up 2 minutes after the crash and still won without a worry. Not normal.
He is either New Hope or biggest fraud in cycling. For him and also for my self I pray, that the first is correct.
 
Re:

Benotti69 said:
I will be surprised if he lasts long in the pro peloton.

He was very well 'programmed up' this week, is using motors or a combination. He looked like he barely broke a sweat.

He had to make up 2 minutes after the crash and still won without a worry. Not normal.
could be a motor or he could have got a nice boost from his own blood night previous.. ;)
 
May 30, 2016
10
3
2,535
Imagine if sky woulda grabbed him...

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
It exists, for example the sad case of the Rumsas brothers. Or with the Gabriel Evans affair it was kind of apparent that doping at the juniors level is 'normalised'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/12044175/Teenage-cyclist-Gabriel-Evans-admits-to-doping-because-culture-had-been-normalised-and-justified.html

One thing that could be said in his favor is, that he was very articulate and forthright about why he did it. Well-spoken doper and kind of matter-of-fact.
So now, if there is a new star who is not only champion, but an even more extreme performance outlier, then of course there are going to be doubters who start grumbling about it. While baseless in fact, as if the performance speaks for itself

Evenepoel going straight to Quickstep shows that he doesn't have any compunction about doping in pro cycling, so that aspect doesn't help. But same could be said of many 'neo-pros' because they know what kind of territory they are headed into
 
Anything he does now has to be replicated at Quickstep, otherwise he will flop when he races in Colombia next year. Even in the crazy scenario of trying to use a motor to get into the pro peloton, Quickstep has presumably tested his watts/kg power profile on indoor trainers, so they can't be tricked into hiring him. Officially, Evenepoel says cycling is "just a hobby" to him
 
Re:

Benotti69 said:
I will be surprised if he lasts long in the pro peloton.

He was very well 'programmed up' this week, is using motors or a combination. He looked like he barely broke a sweat.

He had to make up 2 minutes after the crash and still won without a worry. Not normal.
I don't know if he's clean or unmotorized, but he certainly isn't programmed up this week. The guy is winning with minutes throughout the whole year.
 
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.
 
Re:

masking_agent said:
Kudos to the doctors and trainers who have him on a good doping program already. He'll definitely get a better one and be able to become a team leader on a pro team some day
Oh I wouldn't worry about that if he's going to Quickstep.
 
Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Starting to be literally unbelievable unfortunately.
Why starting? He is winning literally every race he enters. Yesterday was not even with two minutes, while he already won some with 5 minutes plus. Was just his usual performance.
 
Feb 8, 2013
45
0
3,580
Re:

Bolder said:
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.
 
I never heard of him until a few days ago, and probably should have. i just watched his over-exuberant celebrating in the last kilometres of the road race and thought it way over the top. I'm resisiting (I hope) a temptation not to like him. However, at that age there are huge differences in maturity and ability between riders and I think he should be given the full benefit of the doubt. It's too early to condemn him on just ability and achievement, with nothing else to go on. You may think that's wishy washy but can't we be fair as well as cynical?
 
Re: Re:

ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.
You're certainly right that teenagers will dope, but the standard narrative in cycling is that "when I got to pro team X, I got dropped by the side of the road in my first kermesse, so i started on the gear."

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.
 
Re:

hrotha said:
"Talent shows early. WAIT, NOT LIKE THAT"

With a junior rider, we simply have no useful data to speculate on. We'll see.
With the crowd on this forum, they will start speculating when a 6 year old rides his first race on fat tyre bikes against other 6 year olds. "Must have used a motor or taking EPO + Blood transfusions" :lol:

Seriously. There is some problem with being over sceptical here.
 
Feb 8, 2013
45
0
3,580
Re: Re:

Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.
You're certainly right that teenagers will dope, but the standard narrative in cycling is that "when I got to pro team X, I got dropped by the side of the road in my first kermesse, so i started on the gear."

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.
My personal experience of teens doping is American football, but if you think soccer players don't dope that's extremely naive. If cyclists usually start doping because they are getting dropped /not winning perhaps soccer players do too. And I think I read that he wasn't one of the top players on the soccer team...

Edit : I am not saying I think he's doping for sure just that It doesn't seem unlikely
 
Jul 29, 2016
365
0
0
Re: Re:

ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.
You're certainly right that teenagers will dope, but the standard narrative in cycling is that "when I got to pro team X, I got dropped by the side of the road in my first kermesse, so i started on the gear."

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.
My personal experience of teens doping is American football, but if you think soccer players don't dope that's extremely naive. If cyclists usually start doping because they are getting dropped /not winning perhaps soccer players do too. And I think I read that he wasn't one of the top players on the soccer team...

Edit : I am not saying I think he's doping for sure just that It doesn't seem unlikely
Yes, but he lacked other skills than fitness.
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
hrotha said:
"Talent shows early. WAIT, NOT LIKE THAT"

With a junior rider, we simply have no useful data to speculate on. We'll see.
With the crowd on this forum, they will start speculating when a 6 year old rides his first race on fat tyre bikes against other 6 year olds. "Must have used a motor or taking EPO + Blood transfusions" :lol:

Seriously. There is some problem with being over sceptical here.
It's a shame though because I've read some great posts here, exposing the lies from Sky for example, but this topic is one of the reasons why I consider the Clinic as a big joke most of the time, and therefore barely never visit it. Which is, again, a real shame imo..
 
Mar 6, 2011
1,414
0
0
Re: Re:

ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.
You're certainly right that teenagers will dope, but the standard narrative in cycling is that "when I got to pro team X, I got dropped by the side of the road in my first kermesse, so i started on the gear."

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.
My personal experience of teens doping is American football, but if you think soccer players don't dope that's extremely naive. If cyclists usually start doping because they are getting dropped /not winning perhaps soccer players do too. And I think I read that he wasn't one of the top players on the soccer team...

Edit : I am not saying I think he's doping for sure just that It doesn't seem unlikely
I don't the comment to read as football players don't dope. More that Steroids wouldn't be at the top of the list as a performance enhancer so Steroids themselves might not be that common
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS