• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
I will be surprised if he lasts long in the pro peloton.

He was very well 'programmed up' this week, is using motors or a combination. He looked like he barely broke a sweat.

He had to make up 2 minutes after the crash and still won without a worry. Not normal.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

He was very well 'programmed up' this week, is using motors or a combination. He looked like he barely broke a sweat.

He had to make up 2 minutes after the crash and still won without a worry. Not normal.

He is either New Hope or biggest fraud in cycling. For him and also for my self I pray, that the first is correct.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

could be a motor or he could have got a nice boost from his own blood night previous.. ;)

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Imagine if sky woulda grabbed him...

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
It exists, for example the sad case of the Rumsas brothers. Or with the Gabriel Evans affair it was kind of apparent that doping at the juniors level is 'normalised'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/12044175/Teenage-cyclist-Gabriel-Evans-admits-to-doping-because-culture-had-been-normalised-and-justified.html

One thing that could be said in his favor is, that he was very articulate and forthright about why he did it. Well-spoken doper and kind of matter-of-fact.
So now, if there is a new star who is not only champion, but an even more extreme performance outlier, then of course there are going to be doubters who start grumbling about it. While baseless in fact, as if the performance speaks for itself

Evenepoel going straight to Quickstep shows that he doesn't have any compunction about doping in pro cycling, so that aspect doesn't help. But same could be said of many 'neo-pros' because they know what kind of territory they are headed into

Re:

Benotti69 said:

I don't know if he's clean or unmotorized, but he certainly isn't programmed up this week. The guy is winning with minutes throughout the whole year.

I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Re:

Bolder said:
I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Have we had testimony from anyone that they started doping as a junior? It seems like most start as neo-pros/espoirs, when the talent has risen to the top and the brutal reality of season-long big-boy racing sets in.

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.

I never heard of him until a few days ago, and probably should have. i just watched his over-exuberant celebrating in the last kilometres of the road race and thought it way over the top. I'm resisiting (I hope) a temptation not to like him. However, at that age there are huge differences in maturity and ability between riders and I think he should be given the full benefit of the doubt. It's too early to condemn him on just ability and achievement, with nothing else to go on. You may think that's wishy washy but can't we be fair as well as cynical?

Re: Re:

ngent41 said:
Bolder said:

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.

You're certainly right that teenagers will dope, but the standard narrative in cycling is that "when I got to pro team X, I got dropped by the side of the road in my first kermesse, so i started on the gear."

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.

Re:

hrotha said:
"Talent shows early. WAIT, NOT LIKE THAT"

With a junior rider, we simply have no useful data to speculate on. We'll see.
With the crowd on this forum, they will start speculating when a 6 year old rides his first race on fat tyre bikes against other 6 year olds. "Must have used a motor or taking EPO + Blood transfusions" :lol:

Seriously. There is some problem with being over sceptical here.

Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:

You're certainly right that teenagers will dope, but the standard narrative in cycling is that "when I got to pro team X, I got dropped by the side of the road in my first kermesse, so i started on the gear."

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.

My personal experience of teens doping is American football, but if you think soccer players don't dope that's extremely naive. If cyclists usually start doping because they are getting dropped /not winning perhaps soccer players do too. And I think I read that he wasn't one of the top players on the soccer team...

Edit : I am not saying I think he's doping for sure just that It doesn't seem unlikely

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:

My personal experience of teens doping is American football, but if you think soccer players don't dope that's extremely naive. If cyclists usually start doping because they are getting dropped /not winning perhaps soccer players do too. And I think I read that he wasn't one of the top players on the soccer team...

Edit : I am not saying I think he's doping for sure just that It doesn't seem unlikely

Yes, but he lacked other skills than fitness.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
hrotha said:

With the crowd on this forum, they will start speculating when a 6 year old rides his first race on fat tyre bikes against other 6 year olds. "Must have used a motor or taking EPO + Blood transfusions" :lol:

It's a shame though because I've read some great posts here, exposing the lies from Sky for example, but this topic is one of the reasons why I consider the Clinic as a big joke most of the time, and therefore barely never visit it. Which is, again, a real shame imo..

ngent41 said:
Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:

I don't the comment to read as football players don't dope. More that Steroids wouldn't be at the top of the list as a performance enhancer so Steroids themselves might not be that common

Midnightfright said:
[quote="ngent41":1huc494s][quote="Bolder":1huc494s][quote="ngent41":1huc494s][quote="Bolder":1huc494s]I think he's clean. I have a hard time believing that a kid who starts cycling at 16 would jump right into doping. You'd think that would come only after a few years of disappointments. But he's been winning from the get go, so why bother?

Plenty of teenagers dope. This kid might be new to cycling but he was a footballer, which makes him possibly more suspicious. When i was in high school, I know for a fact at least a dozen people on the school football team were on steroids.[/quote]

When you say "football" do you mean "football" or "American football" b/c not sure that a European footballer would be on steroids per se.[/quote]

Edit : I am not saying I think he's doping for sure just that It doesn't seem unlikely[/quote]

I don't the comment to read as football players don't dope. More that Steroids wouldn't be at the top of the list as a performance enhancer so Steroids themselves might not be that common[/quote]

Yes this i agree with also. I didnt mean to imply that he was taking steroids, just that teenagers i knew did. Obviously theres other drugs that are more helpful for cycling, lots of them available mail order over the internet. As far as him not having the skills to be the best soccer player. yes thats true also. But maybe he thinks if he dopes he will become the best, it obviously doesnt work that way in soccer, its not a pure athletic endeavor, cycling however is.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
hrotha said:

We have plenty of evidence of teenagers doping. Go check out school rubgy teams in Europe to see teenagers abusing PEDs.

I would guess American Football has plenty doping at underage.

Lionel Messi was doped to give a height spurt.

Remco enters cycling in Belgium and blows everyone away and some in the clinic think doping, well it is cycling after all and his family are in the sport a long time.

Naievty is still available in the 21st century it seems.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Bolder said:
ngent41 said:
Bolder said:

There must be a lot of talented juniors in a cycling nation like Belgium. Remco blowing races away by 5 minutes doesn't add up.

As for teenagers doping, pffft, go to your local gym, check out local rugby teams, steroids and other PEDs are massive amongst teenage boys.

TRENDING THREADS