• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Remco Evenepoel

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have no real knowledge of Remco but I seem to be far more open to a very talented cyclist in one discipline of the sport translating that ability into another one (except for a climber becoming a good ITTer). It wasn't like he was reeling in Meintjes or anything, so if I treat it as an isolated ride by a rider of 'proven' ability who is shifting to targeting GC then I'm not super spooked. Roglic and Carapaz are miles off top form and I'm not convinced anyone else has a god given right to be beating Remco.

What a laughable thing to say. Another all-terrain monster emerges= totally normal, let's go back to complaining about the Danish guy. Remco is a 100% natural talent from a real cycling country, or something like that.
And by "emerges" you mean "starts performing at a GT at the level he had shown in smaller races which is entirely in keeping with expectations from the last 3-4 years and from before he even turned pro, by the way the guy is still 22"

What a laughable thing to say. Another all-terrain monster emerges= totally normal, let's go back to complaining about the Danish guy. Remco is a 100% natural talent from a real cycling country, or something like that.
I guess Remco needs to spend a few years hacking guts out of fish before destroying the best all round cyclist in the world while weighing the same as a can of sardines.

I am not pretending that Remco is clean

However, this is not a Froome transformation.

Remco is answering the question as to what would happen if an elite athlete were to focus on cycling instead of soccer or another sport. Anyone who can play 90 minutes of an elite match and then run a half marathon the next day with no training and finish 11th against the pros is an elite athlete

I remember watching a video of Tyler Hamilton (I think it was him but don't quote me on that) speaking at Oxford and he discussed the biggest signs of doping and unsurprisingly the main sign is a guy coming from nowhere to win the biggest races in the world. That isn't Remco and that isn't Pog. They've won every big race at every stage of their career. They aren't the results of some sudden transformation when they signed with a big team. They also don't hide all year at altitude camps and then descend and win the Tour. They race all year. I am not saying either is clean. But they seem a lot more likely to be clean than some others.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
I'll add I do think Remco's statement that Pog is still the best rider in the world after Ving's Tour win is interesting. Remco might be the key to Pog's Tour strategy. Remco might be the key to breaking Jumbo's train of destruction approach at the Tour. I can just imagine Remco and Pog dancing away from everyone. Now if only the temperatures would cooperate.

I am not pretending that Remco is clean

However, this is not a Froome transformation.

Remco is answering the question as to what would happen if an elite athlete were to focus on cycling instead of soccer or another sport. Anyone who can play 90 minutes of an elite match and then run a half marathon the next day with no training and finish 11th against the pros is an elite athlete

I think Froome's "transformation" was much less severe and sudden than Vingegaard's. Plus let's be real, Froome never beat anyone like Pog. Granted you're talking about Remco. I agree of course on that too. Remco has been great at every level. I don't see much of a transformation with him, more like a progression. He, like Pog, has been a champion at every level.

Last edited:
Reactions: greyclouds

TRENDING THREADS