• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Renshaw out

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you don't like Renshaw, but I watched several times the last minute on Eurosport. It is very clear from the helicopter view that Julian Dean started to cross Renshaw's straight line, that means Julian Dean did a mistake. That what Renshaw signalled to him, the first two time only with a light touch. But JD still kept left, so Renshaw hit third time to let him know it is his way. I don't think Renshaw did anything wrong. It is better to "headbutt" someone than allow him crossing and than crash. BTW, when Cavendish crossed one other rider's way, it was clearly his fault, why it is not the same now?

What Renshaw did after that incident was much more dangerious: he crossed Farrar's line, Farrar had to push him away...

The decision is ridiculous...

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't agree with the decision completely. He should just have been relegated for slamming the door on Farrar and nearly slamming him into the barriers - ala Bettini on Cooke, a few years ago.

TdF officiating didn't toss McEwan out for doing twice that to O'Grady either.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
What is it with all this Cav hatred.Why should they take his win away:mad:
Dean could have brought them all down if Renshaw had not moved him.You can't take your hands off the bars so what was he supposed to do_Ok 3 times was a bit extreme.The biggest mistake he made in my view was squeezing Farrar,who took his hands off the bars to move him.Cavendish did nothing wrong.

Some of you won't be happy till Cav is retired as you blame him for everything ffs:mad::mad::mad:

Maybe the organisers should invent more fun penalties. Like have renshaws start on tomorows stage delayed, by say 5 minutes. That way he has to tt himself to get back onto the peloton, if he wants to continue his tdf.

oh and that would have worked very well with an incident like baredo costa. Make them both start delayed by 5 minutes. They have to therefore work together to get back.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Where is the consistency? If head butting and elbowing (Dean tried this 3 times but didn't connect) are not permitted why only start dishing out punishment now?

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I feel as if the battle head-butting between Dean and Renshaw was a legit tactic since Dean deviated from his line. However Renshaw deviated from his line as soon as Farrar began to come around him and almost put him into the barriers.

I disagree with DQing Renshaw but I also feel that regulating him on the stage wasn't enough. Renshaw's aggressive sprinting reduced any chance any other sprinter from claiming victory from Cavendish.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Looks to me like Dean elbowed Renshaw first and Renshaw retaliated. So probably Dean is not blameless and perhaps should have relegated them both rather than disqualified one of them. Also alarming to hear that the TOur judges say "We watched the film ONCE and it was blatant"; might not have been a bad a idea to look at it a few times to makes sure the decsion was correct! Apparently the judges made their decision having seen the footage fewer times than humble TV viewers around the world will have done. I wonder if the French judicial system is so swift to condemn; might make it a very cheap way of administering things if you only look at evidence ONCE!

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
gerigeri said:
Maybe you don't like Renshaw, but I watched several times the last minute on Eurosport. It is very clear from the helicopter view that Julian Dean started to cross Renshaw's straight line, that means Julian Dean did a mistake. That what Renshaw signalled to him, the first two time only with a light touch. But JD still kept left, so Renshaw hit third time to let him know it is his way. I don't think Renshaw did anything wrong. It is better to "headbutt" someone than allow him crossing and than crash. BTW, when Cavendish crossed one other rider's way, it was clearly his fault, why it is not the same now?

What Renshaw did after that incident was much more dangerious: he crossed Farrar's line, Farrar had to push him away...

The decision is ridiculous...

ye, ok, Dean crossed the line, but don't u think Renshaw could just hit him off the bike?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody got a link to a video showing Dean deviating his line?
To me it seems he follows the white line on the road more or less.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
NickofLouse said:
I feel as if the battle head-butting between Dean and Renshaw was a legit tactic since Dean deviated from his line. However Renshaw deviated from his line as soon as Farrar began to come around him and almost put him into the barriers.

I disagree with DQing Renshaw but I also feel that regulating him on the stage wasn't enough. Renshaw's aggressive sprinting reduced any chance any other sprinter from claiming victory from Cavendish.

He only stopped FARRAR and Cav had gone before that.If Renshaw hadn't knocked Dean both him and Cav would have been in the barriers.Cav had his wits about him and went when he seen what was happening.Petacchi was no way impeded,maybe Farrar could have passed him but no way would he have caught Cav.

ps totally bad decision after only looking at it once,typical of suits,and no appeal either,what a load of cobblers.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Overall terrible riding by Renshaw!! Dangerous...and pointless. All this Dean blame is rediculous. Couple the head butting with the erradic riding in the final and there you have it...moron! Sprints have been getting a little crazy lately...now there is a firm line drawn.

eurotrash

BANNED
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
The headbutting didn't bother me, the hook he through TF afterwards was worth relegation. The catch is relegation is a worthless penalty since MR doesn't give a s**t about what place he gets on the stage, as long as Cav wins, therefore I agree with a harsher penalty but DQing may be a bit much- but those are the rules.

ET

May 26, 2010
Visit site
eurotrash said:
T....but those are the rules.

when it suits the organisers to implement the rules ya mean....

i think Renshaw knocked on Dean first time to say give us a bit of space because it looked like he was leading his man for the sprint (although he probably didn't realise Farrar was not on his wheel) and after he finished his lead out he would move out of the way to the closest side,as is the standard practice, which would have been Dean's left into Renshaw and Cav, so as his elbow came out and in a situation like that Renshaw had to tell him he and Cav were coming through and i think he did a great job.

Was Dean and Garmin complaining about the head **** or the fact that Renshaw retaliated to Dean by blocking Farrar in a revenge move...:rolleyes:

Cav showed he is the best sprinter in this years tour. a 350 metre sprint which Petacchi loves, a big wind up and Cav won it.

Interestingly Sean Kelly had no probs with the sprint:cool:

You Cav slurpers need new glasses. Officials had it right.

1. HTC train deviated right (stage left). Check the paint on the ground and distance from the barriers.
2. The "elbow" Dean gave was nothing. He didn't lean (I'm not even sure the elbow made contact.)
3. Renshaw headbutts 3 times, then deviates further right.
4. Renshaw looks back, sees Farrar coming then deviates left.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
You Cav slurpers need new glasses. Officials had it right.

1. HTC train deviated right (stage left). Check the paint on the ground and distance from the barriers.
2. The "elbow" Dean gave was nothing. He didn't lean (I'm not even sure the elbow made contact.)
3. Renshaw headbutts 3 times, then deviates further right.
4. Renshaw looks back, sees Farrar coming then deviates left.

Perfect...enough said!!

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
There is blatant disregard ford Renshaws plight, both by the suits and the Dean apologists on here, it cannot be mistaken for what it is, impeding and pushing off line, it's basically cheating , as they cannot win a clean sprint, so try it the dirty way. I'm no Cav Fanjoy, but I think it is becoming clear that they want to knop his chutz off.

A

Anonymous

Renshaw did shut the door on Farrar (who wouldn't have won anyway) which was pretty glaring and on purpose. The headbutt thing..I mean, come on, Dean was squeezing trying to make him break his cadence. He didn't deserve to be thrown out by any measure. Bad decision.

eurotrash

BANNED
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69- it sounds like you ride in a kit with no sleeves.

I used to be a lead out man, and the sweeping of my sprinters wheel was standard practice. Is it dirty, yes. Is it against the rules, yes. Will it get you relegated or thrown out, sometimes- but that is your job.

ET

montel said:
There is a pretty good replay on YouTube titled:

"Tour De france stage 11 Mark Cavendish Fast Win. Team Columbia Sensational Headbut 375Meter Sprint "

At :19 of that video, you can see Renshaw look right at Farrar and throw that hook as plain as day. Farrar even puts his hand out to keep Renshaw from riding him into the barriers.

May 27, 2009
Visit site
battaglin said:
He only stopped FARRAR and Cav had gone before that.If Renshaw hadn't knocked Dean both him and Cav would have been in the barriers.Cav had his wits about him and went when he seen what was happening.Petacchi was no way impeded,maybe Farrar could have passed him but no way would he have caught Cav.

ps totally bad decision after only looking at it once,typical of suits,and no appeal either,what a load of cobblers.

I just rewatched and you're correct Petacchi wasn't impeded in the sprint. I originally thought Petacchi took the outside because was being blocked on the inside from the Renshaw/Dean duo.

Also, It is clear that Renshaw checks over his shoulder before he moves over, after Farrar began to come around him. This leads me to believe that more intentional.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Bike x-Rays and now the tour organizers are playing Morality Police. Great

Maybe they will go Fashion Police on us and Throw out Vaugters Himself for the Turtleneck/Sport Coat combos in July. Talk about malicious intent.