• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Research on Belief in God

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Never a good subject to debate!

I'm a Christian, I beleive in the word of God (Jesus Christ) I have faith in something other than myself; and I'm sure it makes me a better person for it.

I'll say a prayer for all you None-Believers!

Descender said:
You laugh, but at least one major religion, that might well turn out to be the one of the next president of the United States holds holy underwear to be a central tennet of its theology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment

How alarming is it when reality trumps parody...

Well the current President comes from a church which among other things claims that the US government created the HIV virus in order to wipe out minorities, and that it is run by Jews.

And most presidents come from various baptist and pentecostal factions which arent that much more sane than the LDS.

Mostyn said:

I'm a Christian, I beleive in the word of God (Jesus Christ) I have faith in something other than myself; and I'm sure it makes me a better person for it.

You do realize that the phrase I'll say a prayer for all you None-Believers! can be seen as rather rude. The thing about "None-Believers" (or Atheists as I suppose you are talking about) is that they well... don't believe... also it could be read as though you think they need fixing.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
You do realize that the phrase I'll say a prayer for all you None-Believers! can be seen as rather rude. The thing about "None-Believers" (or Atheists as I suppose you are talking about) is that they well... don't believe... also it could be read as though you think they need fixing.

It's ok--actually, I think most non-believers find it kind of sweet. When my son was little in one of his letters to Santa Claus he asked Santa to get me a new bike, along with the Legos and misc. toys he wanted. Just because I didn't believe in Santa didn't mean I wasn't touched by his generosity.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:

Speak for yourself. If he wants to pray for me then that is all good. I consider it insurance.

Also, while he is at it I would like a new Callaway RAZR Black driver, so maybe he can work that into his prayer request as well.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mostyn said:

Knock yourself out ... I saw an interesting question raised in a TV discussion once where one person asked about the people who live in regions of the world where it is prohibited and dangerous to be a christian. Do they qualify as non-believers and do they go to hell just because they were born and lived in an area where they had no access to the Good Word?

On an unrelated note here is a pretty good song by one of my favourite comedians (Bo Burnham) criticizing catholicism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCQLEIWadk (lyrics in description section)

One of my favourite parts:

And though I know this is your day of rest
I come to you with one request
There's so much pain beyond this steeple
Wars and drugs and homeless people

Sadness where there should be joy
Hate and rape and Soulja Boy
A world in darkness needs your light
So I'm sure your schedule's pretty tight

But my dog just had leg surgery ... if you could fix that first?

TeamSkyFans said:
Dont beleive in god. Believe Jesus existed but that Life or Brian is probably the most factual record of his life.

Opposed to religion in most forms. Preaches hate and intolerance, teaches people that being Homesexual is wrong, that being different is wrong, that people of different beliefs or religion to you is wrong. Religion is responsible for so many wars and deaths from the Crusades to the west battles against Islam.

Most Christians i have encountered are the most intolerant and unchristian people I have ever met.

However, I understand that for some people faith is important, and if they wish to have faith then it is none of my business. If it makes them happy then good luck to them, as long as they use it to live lives of peace, tollerance and kindness.

Many months late responding to this, but, if there was a God (let alone the one Catholics are convinced of), how/why would he let so many of his clergy become pedophiles, and how could he permit the Church's leadership to cover-up said abuse of children for decades?

I had my doubts about the Catholic Church even before my First Communion... :mad:

The Hitch said:
Well the current President comes from a church which among other things claims that the US government created the HIV virus in order to wipe out minorities, and that it is run by Jews.

And most presidents come from various baptist and pentecostal factions which arent that much more sane than the LDS.

I wish I lacked the cynical skepticism and rationality to believe unquestioningly in God/Faith. It would make tolerating this life so much easier to believe that no matter what happened, "God has a plan for [me]" and that "the eternal afterlife will be glorious and fantastic blah blah blah"...

joe_papp said:
I wish I lacked the cynical skepticism and rationality to believe unquestioningly in God/Faith. It would make tolerating this life so much easier to believe that no matter what happened, "God has a plan for [me]" and that "the eternal afterlife will be glorious and fantastic blah blah blah"...

I won't believe in heaven and hell. No saints, no sinners, no
devil as well. No pearly gates, no thorny crown. You're always
letting us humans down. The wars you bring, the babes you
drown. Those lost at sea and never found, and it's the same the
whole world 'round. The hurt I see helps to compound that
Father, Son and Holy Ghost is just somebody's unholy hoax,
and if you're up there you'd perceive that my heart's here upon
my sleeve. If there's one thing I don't believe in

it's you....

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Neuroscience has shown that there is no immortal soul... only chemical processes occuring in the brain to produce consciousness. Once the brain dies, that's it.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Pazuzu said:
Neuroscience has shown that there is no immortal soul... only chemical processes occuring in the brain to produce consciousness. Once the brain dies, that's it.

That's it? Boooooring.
But has Nueroscience explained how it (consciousness) first sprang forth?
And how it will be snuffed out?
Is this consciousness an Earth thing? Or are the chemical processes universal?

And how about all that consciousness that was/will be generated between the alpha and the omega - what became of "it"?

Physicists and their Law of Conservation might take issue with the "that's it" explanation. There is no "that's it". This and that, but no "that's it".

No free lunch. Have to play to win.

First came Matter, Then Life, Then Consciousness.
No more "thens"?
C'mon, Nueroscience says no more "thens"?
Comforting I guess, but kind of boring. Yawn.

Pazuzu said:

Neurosience doesn't even know what it's talking about when it talks about the self or the "soul". Which doesn't make souls real, really.
All that neurosience has shown is that you can't find what you should not have been looking for, that is a thing which is a soul/self/counsciousness.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Or at least you're very selective about the bits you choose to believe.

The Bible is a big book with lots of contradictory parts. In lots of cases, you simply have to choose what you want and have done with it. In these cases, religion is simply used to justify your beliefs. If there is a an all-powerful, all-seeing, compassionate god, he/she/it/they don't want me to believe. So, I can just live my life as normal.