• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Research on Belief in God

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Looks like s/he is fishing for opinions as research for the study, ie a return on the $2M investment. Commercial enough for me. Spam too.

The person that programmed that bot was probably munching on naan bread and watching Munsters re-runs when this thread was made.

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Another pointless academic exercise. I can tell you now that the results will be completely vacant and without any value. What sort of response would you expect from a believer, when asked why they believe ? Huh ?

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Cash05458 said:
I will need to second that...I am gay and need some validation from the racing community.......help please.......need thread and no repression from mods....damn you susan....

Well what better place to spend your time...surrounded by men with shaved legs wearing spandex....! When I tell my dates this is how I like to spend my weekends they immediately assume I am gay and leave me holding the bar tab....sigh..honest to a fault, me. Oh and as for validation. Validated. There's room for all in our pack.

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
No problem, I don't take things here that seriously.

But remember: Big Sister is watching! ;)

Susan

So who is this big sister..?

Can she ride a bike..?

Or is she just a chat room biker-babe wannabe..?

A

Anonymous

So what do you get when you cross an insomniac, and agnostic and a dyslexic?

A

Anonymous

scribe said:
lay awake at night wondering if there really was a dog?

bingo!

all religious beliefs are based on faith, meaning they cannot be proven.

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
It's an interesting question, just fundamentally flawed, that was my point. You'll never get an honest answer because that would destroy the illusion of belief.

So there !?

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Pay up, BOT!

brianf7 said:
Some times in a bike race there needs to be devine intervention.

There is. It's called a puncture, a flat, or a crash (or a train), depending on whose side you are on.

I submit the philosopher Blaise Pascal and his wager. Fear of damnation or hope for respite in the afterworld(s).

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
I've really been back and forth on deleting this person's posts. They don't have any commerical content or link, so I can't do it for those reasons. On the other hand, they don't make a lot of sense, either.

Susan

the link to the true intention of that bot has appeared in that member's sigline.....

scribe said:
the link to the true intention of that bot has appeared in that member's sigline.....

Interesting -- that has been added since the post first appeared.

Ordinarily I would delete such a post, but such an interesting thread has developed here that I won't do that.

However, all future posts by this user containing such a link in the sig will be deleted.

Susan

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I'd have an admin ban that user and remove the link from the sig line. If you try to delete them, I've seen the program re-register the same name and do it's function all over again.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
So what do you get when you cross an insomniac, and agnostic and a dyslexic?

Really haven't got a clue, but if you cross a Jehovas witness and an agnostic you'll get a person who walks around knocking on a lot of doors, but doesn't know why.....:D

A

Anonymous

Lifeshape said:
How about a very tired individual who doesn't believe in spelling properly?

I've always sided with Dr. Johnson who wrote that, "The ability to spell a word only one way is a sign of ignorance."

Relative to the original thread perhaps Pope would be apropo

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan;
The proper study of Mankind is Man.
Plac'd on this isthmus of a middle state,
A being darkly wise, and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between; in doubt to act, or rest,
In doubt to deem himself a God, or Beast;
In doubt his Mind or Body to prefer,
Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;
Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
Whether he thinks too little, or too much:
Chaos of Thought and Passion, all confus'd;
Still by himself abus'd, or disabus'd;
Created half to rise, and half to fall;
Great lord of all things, yet a prey to all;
Sole judge of Truth, in endless error hurl'd:
The glory, jest, and riddle of the world!

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
I've always sided with Dr. Johnson who wrote that, "The ability to spell a word only one way is a sign of ignorance."

Relative to the original thread perhaps Pope would be apropo

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan;
The proper study of Mankind is Man.
Plac'd on this isthmus of a middle state,
A being darkly wise, and rudely great:
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between; in doubt to act, or rest,
In doubt to deem himself a God, or Beast;
In doubt his Mind or Body to prefer,
Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;
Alike in ignorance, his reason such,
Whether he thinks too little, or too much:
Chaos of Thought and Passion, all confus'd;
Still by himself abus'd, or disabus'd;
Created half to rise, and half to fall;
Great lord of all things, yet a prey to all;
Sole judge of Truth, in endless error hurl'd:
The glory, jest, and riddle of the world!

Classy ! Sounds like a close friend of mine ... ?!

A

Anonymous

Tranquil said:
Classy ! Sounds like a close friend of mine ... ?!

Yes. He had some pretty clever insights.
"Sole judge of Truth, in endless error hurl'd:" ... could describe quite a few of us. Humble self included.

God and Religion

Well, the question of questions: Do you believe in God? If so, in which one? How do you feel about religion?

[Mods, I found a thread that ultimately derived in a discussion about this topic, but it's old and not originally intended as such, so I took the liberty to open this one.]

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Voted the first option because I could if I voted seriously I'd vote for: "No, I'm an atheist in that I assure there is no God. "

Alpe d'Huez said:
OK.

But if the thread runs adrift, or upsets people, I will likely close it.

You might as well close it now, then. People are inevitably going to get upset.

Which brings me to one of my points, which Richard Dawkins so often makes too. Why is religion worthy of so much respect? Why is it ok to bash politicians because of their positions, writers because of their novels, filmmakers because of their films, but it's not ok to criticise religion or their principles?

In this same forum there are dozens of threads on politics. Quite clearly, people get upset there every day. Are those threads closed because of that?

When people get upset on account of religion matters, it is most usually their choice and theirs only to get upset. I say let us have a sensible, constructive debate. Let us be polite in a democratic way. But as long as we do it this way, let us express our views freely too, without fear of upsetting other people's ideals.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Descender said:
Do you believe in God?

Yes, I do.

If so, in which one?

I'm a Catholic.

How do you feel about religion?

I dunno, never had any problem with people who thinks otherwise (there's a lot of them among my friends). Everyone has a right to believe whatever he/she wants, and the worst thing you/I can do is trying to prove somebody that everything he/she believes in (no matter is it atheism, agnosticism or any religion) is a bs.

TRENDING THREADS