• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Research on Belief in God

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Emphyteusis was not ended by the Church. It was perpetuated through the domuscultae. The domusculta capracorum of Formello makes this archaeological fact and not only in the Roman campagna, but throughout Europe. At any rate, keeping the prices on bread down wasn't a Christian invention, Diocletian's Edictum de pretis of 301 was as humane as anything the subsequent papacy or European princes could have contrived and he was a pagan. It extended to all products. The twelfth century communal revolutions were anti-papal, above all in Rome! The increased activity of Roman merchants and craftsman and the improved financial status of the burghers, though not comparable to the centers of Tuscany or Northern Italy at the time because of the clerical freno (brake), made them increasingly in sharp opposition to the power of the old aristocratic clans and the temporal rule of the popes. Gradually the situation generated considerable tension and ultimately a dramatic change: in 1143 the Roman burghers set up a commune (municipality) of their own, like the free ones in central Italy and revived the designation of "senate." The renovatio senatus as it was known reawakened Roman patriotism and nostalgia for the urbs past greatness during the empire, thinking which was to become so prominant in the later views of Petrarch and the Renaissance humanists that succeeded him.

Echoes litany is tiresome. Christianity and the Church very much maintained the status quo of late imperial civilization under much less fortuitous times however. Eventually that order broke down once the necessary pressure to bear was sufficient. Paradoxically the humanist philology so praised by the Church, became the unwitting catalyst of the scientific method that eventually destroyed its dogmatic system.

Speaking of which, I'm sure Catholic ultras like Echoes don't have much of a future. Their presumption is inversely proportional to their preparation. For example when he talks about dogma, things like transubstantiation and the virginity of Mary come to mind. When Christ said "do this in memory of me" the consumption of bread and wine is incompatable with "transubstantiation." Bread and wine as in "body" and "blood" was a recurrent metaphorical theme in those times, as the Mithraic tauroctony by which the solar deity gave life to the world testifies. The grapevine and grain played an integral part in this. Transubstantiation was a term chosen by the fifteenth-cuntury Council of Florence rendered through the Byzantine delagates' recovery of the Aristotelian μετουσίωσις (metousiosis), in Latin transsubstantiatio, which separated the substance per se from the accidental quality that described it. Baruch Spinoza though, somewhat sarcastically, already asked in the early seventeeth century where all those Jesuses in blood and bones in the form of wine and bread wound up? Was it necessary to preserve the faith only through such amazing things I've asked myself?

The religious faiths have always been impregnated with mysteries, beginning with the Eleusian Mysteries that a thousand years before Christ celebrated suggestive rites in the sanctuary of Demeter. On the other hand, if it weren't studded with "mysteries" what faith would it be? The necessity "to believe" only exists for the impossible or the absurd. The possible or the reasonable are known. They can either be demonstrated, or at least a demonstration can be tried, while naturally being exposed to refutation. By contrast dogma can neither be demonstrated, nor refuted, it just must be taken at face value. This is kind of like Echoes' curious historical revisions.

Re: God and Religion

Echoes said:
Jspear said:
Oh please, it was a joke! FYI I only eat bacon/pork a couple times a year. Self control is easy. The religious aspect of eating or not eating pork could be discussed in the religion thread.

We both understood it was a joke, I think. ;)

However I don't see why I shouldn't bring the religious element here because in my opinion the Christian religion leads to an (at least) vegetarian diet if not vegan and besides you already did bring that element here:

Animals are not humans (most would disagree with me on this point :), But I would say it is because animals don't have souls. They are not made in the image of God.) Animals have been given to us to enjoy, to help us with work (in our modern society this reason is used far less), and to eat. There is nothing morally wrong with eating animals.

Where is it said that animals have been given us to enjoy and to eat? You are twisting the words of the Gospels to fit with your own habits and individual interests. It's atheism, darwinism and liberalism that promote meat eating. Some kind of a survival of the fittest. Christians mainly eat bread and believe that "Thou Shalt Not Kill". Likewise Vegans who trash the Christian religion are hypos, in my opinion.

But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3 men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer. (1 Timothy 4:1-5)

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: pm

ebandit said:
for some time i have been asking god.......what thoughts they would wish

to express on this platform........so far.....no response

maybe? i should pm irondan/maxiton

Mark L

The void loves to hear what's on your mind though. You should get yourself some beads.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow, long thread. Yeah, I believe in God ever since I was a child a I got more practical since my early twenties. I am a catholic ( greek) in a country with a large majority of orthodox people. Anyway, while I am 100 % God exists (based on my life experience so far and not only) I would not be surprised to learn that They are some sort of unexplainable form of life, at least for our curent knowledge. I say our current knowledge because we don't know s--t about this universe. We walked on the Moon? Ha ha, it's like a bee walking a mile around it's hive and thinks that's the whole world. And Enoch said some crazy stuff a few thousand years ago, things that were confirmed by science just recently. No problem with those who don't believe though.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
....just ran across this...may have been posted, if so, whoops...

One of my favorite quotes of all time is “God created man in His image and man returned Him the favor“. This aphorism is so good that it was attributed to Mark Twain, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, George Bernard Shaw, Bertrand Russel, Frank Wedekind and Voltaire. I think that this sentence contains the best overall summary of what Christianity is in the 21st century.

Cheers

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure I've said this before but I'll say it again 'cause I really couldn't be less concerned what you think of me. Mystics are concerned with their own self study, the interior of being in the world. The Freemasons (mystics at their best, corrupt a$$holes as it stands ) have 33 degrees (Scottish rite) - the Germans didn't invent degrees, btw - and Jesus began his ministry at 33. Coincidence? The human spine has 33 vertebrae, from balls or vag. to brains. Lead (ignorance) to gold (enlightenment). Humans have always been obsessed with making the unconscious (night) conscious (day). Just a thought.

The breakdown to equality without too much b.s.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGRne6Ehh1c

Re:

McLovin said:
Wow, long thread. Yeah, I believe in God ever since I was a child a I got more practical since my early twenties. I am a catholic ( greek) in a country with a large majority of orthodox people. Anyway, while I am 100 % God exists (based on my life experience so far and not only) I would not be surprised to learn that They are some sort of unexplainable form of life, at least for our curent knowledge. I say our current knowledge because we don't know s--t about this universe. We walked on the Moon? Ha ha, it's like a bee walking a mile around it's hive and thinks that's the whole world. And Enoch said some crazy stuff a few thousand years ago, things that were confirmed by science just recently. No problem with those who don't believe though.
There's a huge void between believing and not believing.
I haven't had my epiphany yet.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
True visionary genius.
The Coming Floods: Calling the Church to Oneness with Christ Amidst Rising Deception
https://www.amazon.ca/Coming-Floods-Calling-Oneness-Deception/dp/1933148640/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1483925107&sr=8-4&keywords=jason+w+moore

As we approach the end of the age, floods of trouble, fear and deception will come in our world to test the faith of all who believe. However, amidst the darkness, God will be working wonders among those whose hearts are fully His. This book is a call to higher ground in the Spirit, to a place of personal oneness with Christ. Jason describes in detail a number of prophetic experiences God has given him concerning the future of the church, and then provides a sound biblical basis for this urgent message from the heart of God.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
red_flanders said:
This is worth watching. Some of it (the Horus parallels) are pretty innacurate, from what I can glean, but the astrology stuff is flat out amazing. And ultimately kind of hilarious.

https://youtu.be/88GTUXvp-50

The entire video is full of inaccuracies, not just the bit about Horus. If you know that the Horus parallels are very fanciful, you shouldn't believe the other stuff that's being said here, unless you've properly researched it yourself and found better sources confirming it. The internet is full of these types of quasi-conspiracy videos about Jesus actually being completely mythological and just another incarnation of some common mythological pattern, but this type of theory isn't taken serious by actual academic historians and theologians at all, to my knowledge. The comparative mythology stuff and the idea that Jesus is a completely mythological figure with (almost) no base in history has all been proposed by actual historians/biblical scholars in the 19th century and it had some adherence until the beginning of the 20th century, but nowadays it's been thoroughly tested and the hypothesis is found to be contrary to evidence. The 'Christ myth theory' is considered fringe thing nowadays in academia. (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory)

Just a random point about the astrology; the video bases a lot on Jesus being born on 25th of December, but the Bible doesn't suggest Jesus was born on the 25th of December at all. I think the first mention of Jesus being born on that date is like in the 3rd century or something.

To be honest, I didn't really bother to watch the rest of the video after the cliche inaccurate comparative mythology and the apparent ignorance about where the 25th of December date comes from.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
red_flanders said:
This is worth watching. Some of it (the Horus parallels) are pretty innacurate, from what I can glean, but the astrology stuff is flat out amazing. And ultimately kind of hilarious.

The entire video is full of inaccuracies, not just the bit about Horus. If you know that the Horus parallels are very fanciful, you shouldn't believe the other stuff that's being said here, unless you've properly researched it yourself and found better sources confirming it. The internet is full of these types of quasi-conspiracy videos about Jesus actually being completely mythological and just another incarnation of some common mythological pattern, but this type of theory isn't taken serious by actual academic historians and theologians at all, to my knowledge. The comparative mythology stuff and the idea that Jesus is a completely mythological figure with (almost) no base in history has all been proposed by actual historians/biblical scholars in the 19th century and it had some adherence until the beginning of the 20th century, but nowadays it's been thoroughly tested and the hypothesis is found to be contrary to evidence. The 'Christ myth theory' is considered fringe thing nowadays in academia. (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory)

Just a random point about the astrology; the video bases a lot on Jesus being born on 25th of December, but the Bible doesn't suggest Jesus was born on the 25th of December at all. I think the first mention of Jesus being born on that date is like in the 3rd century or something.

To be honest, I didn't really bother to watch the rest of the video after the cliche inaccurate comparative mythology and the apparent ignorance about where the 25th of December date comes from.

Don't quote me on it because I'm going off memory. I think the Jews figured out Jesus was born some time around September. It definitely wasn't December 25th. There's a way to figure out his birth using the Jewish calendar. I'd have to look it up again to remember the particulars.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
red_flanders said:

You should watch the rest, the astrology bit is interesting. I know it's not going to matter to you, but it's interesting. I don't think it's any kind of proof that Jesus is totally mythological, but certainly it shows clear parallels with astrological phenomena. I find it hard to believe that what we have in the gospels is some kind of pure, clean record of what actually happened. Well actually I don't remotely believe it.

No one knows when Jesus was born. There are various theories with scant evidence one way or another. As you well know the original books were written decades after his death, if not over a century in some cases. This is literally a couple of generations at least of oral history later. Personally I'm not going to run my life on the verbatim of books written this way in the bronze age after the story had been handed down hundreds if not thousands of times.

I wish religious folks were as critical of evidence of what's in the sacred texts as they are of what's on the internet. We'd all be a lot better off.

red_flanders said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
red_flanders said:

You should watch the rest, the astrology bit is interesting. I know it's not going to matter to you, but it's interesting. I don't think it's any kind of proof that Jesus is totally mythological, but certainly it shows clear parallels with astrological phenomena. I find it hard to believe that what we have in the gospels is some kind of pure, clean record of what actually happened. Well actually I don't remotely believe it.

No one knows when Jesus was born. There are various theories with scant evidence one way or another. As you well know the original books were written decades after his death, if not over a century in some cases. This is literally a couple of generations at least of oral history later. Personally I'm not going to run my life on the verbatim of books written this way in the bronze age after the story had been handed down hundreds if not thousands of times.

I wish religious folks were as critical of evidence of what's in the sacred texts as they are of what's on the internet. We'd all be a lot better off.

The gospels and the epistles were written by contemporaries of Jesus. It wasn't an oral tradition passed down through the centuries. It was a written tradition passed down through the centuries.

TRENDING THREADS