• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Response to Lance threads...My Opinion...Where is Pro Cycling headed?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
neil69cyclist said:
You are right back to the point, I think the biggest problem will be generating sponsorship $'s to pay for the teams and riders, this is partly to do with recession but also to do with the image of the sport as someone that DOES know a lot about sponsorship and brand marketing I can tell you that if things continue as they are we will see the death of the sport as we know it. The major races will survive to a degree but there will be much smaller budgets and this could lead to TV's priority and budget moving away also.

Neil... Firstly, I forgot to mention the all important TV (and the rights)- absolutley agree, no TV and therfore no need for the human billboards.

As someone who doesnt know much about branding and sponsorship - (I am just a humble DoctorB) - but wouldn't a 'clean' Tour would be the the most desireable for all stakeholders?

Hence the reason not to 'continue things as they are' and sell the image of the new clean Tour.

A

Anonymous

A

Anonymous

jackhammer111 said:
there you go sucking from that lance water bottle you caught again.

click on the shoe you mention. it's all there under the highlights under each and every livestrong item on the site.

you blithering idiot.

No, you got me there.

Now, are you man enough to go back and do the same about the numerous times you were incorrect?

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Oh, the irony! :rolleyes:

I have no idea what percentage of what goes where. As far as Nike goes, I also don't care as I wouldn't dream of buying any of the stuff on that page. You nasty little hate-boys with your deep-seated personal issues are the ones accusing him of every crime under the sun, including ripping off people who donate to Livestrong. PROVE IT. Put up or shut up.

That's your personal problem, sonny. Stop inflicting your festering, sickening hatred on the entire forum over and over and over. You and your mates are a plague on this house.

The ultimate, truly hysterical irony. :D

It just amazes me that your grammar skills are as poor as is your ability to see where the real irony lies in this case.

Oh yea: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6570

Check out the efficiency rating....dang.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Neil... Firstly, I forgot to mention the all important TV (and the rights)- absolutley agree, no TV and therfore no need for the human billboards.

As someone who doesnt know much about branding and sponsorship - (I am just a humble DoctorB) - but wouldn't a 'clean' Tour would be the the most desireable for all stakeholders?

Hence the reason not to 'continue things as they are' and sell the image of the new clean Tour.

Nothing humble about being a doctor .... which team do you work for and do you have a centrifuge I could borrow !!!!

I think the problem is that with most things, it isn't about the future it's about what they can get now while they can and this goes through the whole of the team structure. If you are a 50 odd year old team manager and you can make lots of money now and feather the nest then you aren't too worried because if you 'retire' well it it just a bit of an early retirement same for the senior riders.

I think it's the younger riders/mangers that can change things as they need something for the longer term and have a vested interest in the future, ASO and the other organisers need a clean image to ensure $'s and the future but also want the drama of the race but in my opinion the drama of a bunch of clean riders fighting it out and really blowing would be more interesting than 'the fastest tour' it's about attacking and human frailty.

I think they need to be a period of draconian rules around lifetime bans etc that may actually change some behavior, and they also need to get people like Kohl and other dopers to blow the whole thing wide open.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
It just amazes me that your grammar skills are as poor as is your ability to see where the real irony lies in this case.

Oh yea: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=6570

Check out the efficiency rating....dang.

Ah, the diversionary attack. Grammar skills! It just amazes me that someone who thinks he's demonstrating his intellectual superiority can't see what a complete laughing stock he's making of himself to everyone except members of his own hate posse.

Your link proves what? Other cancer charities are more efficient at fund raising. Good for them! Does it prove that Lance is ripping people who donate to Livestrong off? Does it ****.

Your 'apology' to jackhammer was also most gracious.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Ah, the diversionary attack. Grammar skills! It just amazes me that someone who thinks he's demonstrating his intellectual superiority can't see what a complete laughing stock he's making of himself to everyone except members of his own hate posse.

Your link proves what? Other cancer charities are more efficient at fund raising. Good for them! Does it prove that Lance is ripping people who donate to Livestrong off? Does it ****.

Your 'apology' to jackhammer was also most gracious.

First, I am not trying to demonstrate intellectual superiority, that appears to be something you are projecting. I guess you have an issue you might want to talk over with someone? Oh well, everyone has their foibles.

Dang, you don't handle not knowing what the f*&k you are talking about pretty badly. It proves that the money that goes to Livestrong would be put to better use going somewhere else.

So how does LA's chamos cream smell?

Hey, I have a water bottle that I will sell one of you for like $100. I even have a picture of him throwing it so you can authenticate it. Maybe twitter him and ask for an autograph. I am sure he follows you all as closely as you follow him.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
neil69cyclist said:
Nothing humble about being a doctor .... which team do you work for and do you have a centrifuge I could borrow !!!!

I think the problem is that with most things, it isn't about the future it's about what they can get now while they can and this goes through the whole of the team structure. If you are a 50 odd year old team manager and you can make lots of money now and feather the nest then you aren't too worried because if you 'retire' well it it just a bit of an early retirement same for the senior riders.

I think it's the younger riders/mangers that can change things as they need something for the longer term and have a vested interest in the future, ASO and the other organisers need a clean image to ensure $'s and the future but also want the drama of the race but in my opinion the drama of a bunch of clean riders fighting it out and really blowing would be more interesting than 'the fastest tour' it's about attacking and human frailty.

I think they need to be a period of draconian rules around lifetime bans etc that may actually change some behavior, and they also need to get people like Kohl and other dopers to blow the whole thing wide open.

I completely agree with your responce - in particular that the racing would be a lot more exciting and less predictable....
However the stakeholders would appear to not agree with us - the removal of Clerc and Prudhomme from ASO and the way the bio-passport has been rolled out would suggest that their patience has run out.

That is what concerns me as I believe in the shortterm there may be new sponsors investing in a 'clean' team with a 'clean' image. Professional cycling is not yet in a position should another Police based investigation be conducted- imho..

PS I had to check google for 'troll' too!

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
How old are you, kid? :D
(no need for the comma...I mean, since you appear to want to be the grammar expert and all.)

Amsterhammer said:
And it's chamois, you sad little tosser.

See my above comment. That grammar correction is trickly ain't it?

41, and you can call me "sir"

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Who on this forum is a cancer survivor? Who knows what it is like to almost die? I can only imagine what LA went through and he deserves admiration for winning that fight.

Some people seem to think the whole peloton is juiced. I don`t. If that is the case Armstrong won on a level playing field. He only won because of better doctors? BS. He had the drive and ability to win.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Particularly sweet. ;)

How does your bile smell?

I'm 60, you call me sir.

No, I will just call you "DependsTM" from now on.....or even better "Oops I crapped my pants." "Imagine this pitcher of tea is a gallon of your own feces....."

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
No, I will just call you "DependsTM" from now on.....or even better "Oops I crapped my pants." "Imagine this pitcher of tea is a gallon of your own feces....."

Thoughtforfood if your 41 then try acting at least half of it and stop being a spiteful little man.

biker77 said:
Who on this forum is a cancer survivor? Who knows what it is like to almost die? I can only imagine what LA went through and he deserves admiration for winning that fight.

I am, and that is why I have nothing but utter disdain for someone who deceives cancer sufferers by lying about being clean and selling false hope. It is beyond despicable. It is Bernie Madoff-like behavior because there is no reason to do it other than his huge ego.

jackhammer111 said:

You get your info from people trying to sell you something? You really are thick. There are any number of ways to benefit from supposedly non-profit activities. That is why such a huge number of charities are actually scams. Heck, Armstrong's foundation spends nearly $700K on just three employees. The CEO gets paid roughly double what CEOs of similar non-profits get paid.

Explain this: Why does Armstrong have a for profit company named the same as his supposed charity? It looks like a classic bait and switch.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am, and that is why I have nothing but utter disdain for someone who deceives cancer sufferers by lying about being clean and selling false hope. It is beyond despicable. It is Bernie Madoff-like behavior because there is no reason to do it other than his huge ego.

Good call Brodeal....

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

If your worried about someone selling false hope Bro you should start a thread on religion, anyone that has had cancer would always tell people that hope is a part of the process and his doping or not doesn't change his survival of serious cancer. My mother has had cancer 3 times (all different types) and her survival and help of others has been around having faith (not religious) in getting better along with whatever treatment.

This sound very harsh but i find it very hard to believe you and think you are using it as another part of your argument......if I'm wrong then i'm sorry.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
neil69cyclist said:
If your worried about someone selling false hope Bro you should start a thread on religion, anyone that has had cancer would always tell people that hope is a part of the process and his doping or not doesn't change his survival of serious cancer. My mother has had cancer 3 times (all different types) and her survival and help of others has been around having faith (not religious) in getting better along with whatever treatment.

This sound very harsh but i find it very hard to believe you and think you are using it as another part of your argument......if I'm wrong then i'm sorry.

Really delighted to hear about your mother, Neil! I know exactly what you mean about the importance of hope. The mere fact that Lance (somehow) survived his ordeal is hope-giving to other sufferers. I can tell you for a fact that my wife took strength and encouragement from that fact during the four years that she (ultimately unsuccessfully) fought her metastasized breast cancer.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
biker77 said:

Some people seem to think the whole peloton is juiced. I don`t. If that is the case Armstrong won on a level playing field. He only won because of better doctors? BS. He had the drive and ability to win.

Depends on "whole peloton." Not all pros are doped, some on the more minor teams are totally clean.

I believe Lance works hard, and he becomes as fit as he can; which of course is difficult. But he was also a very good responder to drug therapy and he had Ferrari which made a massive diff... If he had been clean just for the Tour he probably wouldnt have even finished a single one due to the pace...Last year he might have gotten 50-75 places.

He could ride up Alp D'Huez 5,000 times and it wouldnt make the slightest diff... You see your limited by your natural 02 ceiling. Heavily doped on a Dr. Ferrari drug program Lance no DOUBT has the highest oxygen ceiling. Without Ferrari Lance was not top 35 and he did DNF his first 2 Tours, 1993 and 1994 and his 1996 Tour.

TRENDING THREADS