• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Retrospective testing..when boy when!

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
The UCI Circ report recommended retrospective testing of blood samples..as far as I can see this hasn't happened yet..any body know if it will be happening? It seems like the best deter ant ever against doping. Greg Le Mond suggested it 10 years ago..it's not a new idea..why so long to get it in place?

Also TUE exemptions..I can't believe the UCI is still letting riders get away with these..to me if you need a TUE then you are ill and shouldn't be racing..the movement for credible cycling already have this rule although some how Chris H was allowed to use a TUE for medication for Bronchitis and still race the TDF or have I got this wrong.. :confused:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Retrospective testing would imply the UCI want to catch cheats............................dont be fooled. UCI are not interested in catching cheats unless they have good reason, say, they need a new blood testing machine.......or a new villa..........

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
A typical example was Cobo..comes from no where to win the Vuelta..then goes back to no where..but his bio passport shows no anomalies??? His estimated power out puts where off the Richter scale when he dropped Froomy and Wiggo on the hardest stage of the race..

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

cnc-it said:
A typical example was Cobo..comes from no where to win the Vuelta..then goes back to no where..but his bio passport shows no anomalies??? His estimated power out puts where off the Richter scale when he dropped Froomy and Wiggo on the hardest stage of the race..

Wiggins had a good 2011/12 then fell off a cliff too and then in 2013 he started to revert back to the old pre-2009 Wiggins, who couldn't climb a speed bump.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
To be fair to Wiggins though he did win more than one race in 2012 and since then he's been carrying two stone of extra body weight..not the best prep for climbing in the Alps :)

May 19, 2010
Visit site
who knows how much extra Cobo has been carrying after his Vuelta win? He's struggled with depression before. Probably not easier to carry than knighthood.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe but doped with what?..and he already had a 4th in the TDF, only beaten by 3 convicted dopers who have all served bans..it wasn't like he came from no where to win in 2012 ..like Cobo did for the Vuelta..back to my original point though... if retrospective testing is? going to be carried out we might get proof either way on these riders in the future...although I'm not holding out much hope at the moment...

Cobo didn't come from nowhere in 2011. You might want to look up the 2008 Tour, 2007 Basque Country or 2009 Vuelta.

Wiggins didn't come from nowhere in 2012, the same way that Riis didn't come from nowhere in 1996. They both had come from nowhere a couple of years before late in their careers, though.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Wiggs was Olympic champion before he turned pro in Europe..Cobo had poor form before he won the Vuelta in 2011..we all know the story on Riis..no retrospective testing needed there...

Yes - on the track. Maybe Riis was a herring fishing world champion, but it still doesn't mean much on the road.

If you don't want a thread to take a particular direction, don't bring up certain people in a seemingly controversial way.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
Yes - on the track. Maybe Riis was a herring fishing world champion, but it still doesn't mean much on the road.

If you don't want a thread to take a particular direction, don't bring up certain people in a seemingly controversial way.
phenomenal post. early candidate for post of the year

#POY

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

cnc-it said:
To be fair to Wiggins though he did win more than one race in 2012 and since then he's been carrying two stone of extra body weight..not the best prep for climbing in the Alps :)

Hyperbole does not become you. 2 stone is 12kg and there's no way in hell he's added 16% body fat nor 12 kg of muscle anywhere since 2012.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
cnc-it said:

Hyperbole does not become you. 2 stone is 12kg and there's no way in hell he's added 16% body fat nor 12 kg of muscle anywhere since 2012.

few room temperature ales tho, and a few joints, mebbe even coupla lines of blow

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:

HAHAHAHA 'herring fishing world champion'

[quote="blackcat
phenomenal post. early candidate for post of the year

#POY[/quote]

I agree, if this doesn't win #POY someone has pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
blackcat said:
Dear Wiggo said:
cnc-it said:

few room temperature ales tho, and a few joints, mebbe even coupla lines of blow

There was a hint of sarcasm when I said that but wiggo did say in the telegraph that he was 14lb heavier now than when he won the Tour..

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Has there ever been a pro cycling ban from (2y+) retrospective testing?

I think part of the point of retrospective testing is scaring dopers from being too inovative in their methods...

For example not jumping the AICAR train etc...

Only problem is if it is never enforced it doesn't really work as a deterrent...

Maybe they are afraid to start retrospective testing because that could open up a can of worms...

Who needs controversy...?

Anti-doping-systems and in particular retrospective testing are mainly to make riders percieve that they shouldn't
dope because they will get caught eventually..

Only problem with that tactic is that it is only a theory never realised in reality so the peloton is calling the bluff.....