• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Retrospective testing..when boy when!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2010
Visit site
IOC and IAAF retest close to SOL, to benefit the most of progress in analysis and new tests. SOL is now 10 years, so there are high chances for catching retired athletes. Letting them keep the medals/results makes no sense.

Why take away the results from athletes who's sample is found to be positive a few weeks after the competition, but not the results of athletes who's sample is found to be positive some years after the competition? Because the ones caught in the retests weren't as stupid at doping as the ones caught in the first analysis?

@ Ray J
Well, it's not an ideal position of course, more of a way to get the UCI to stop hiding behind excuses like "we can't go back and change the result every year". And I get that and that it would make a mockery of the sport. But it already is I suppose and we all know it. It wouldn't be fair to clean riders, but it's not fair now either. It would be more fair to the public though I suppose. Look at it as a "let's eat the cake, and preserve some of it" from the crowds POV.
Also, as a punishment, the caught rider would have to return to the said race, ride on a one wheeled bike with a clown suit at the back of the peloton in a "ride of shame".

Btw, I have no hopes of big changes in the world (of sport) as it currently is, but having read your posts on the "change the sport"- thread I am also glad that I don't have your cynical and self preserving attitude towards change for the better.

Edit: I suppose it is a stupid idea, keeping the results. Let all doping free perhaps and make a reality show about it. :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Dr.ugs said:
@ Ray J
Well, it's not an ideal position of course, more of a way to get the UCI to stop hiding behind excuses like "we can't go back and change the result every year". And I get that and that it would make a mockery of the sport. But it already is I suppose and we all know it. It wouldn't be fair to clean riders, but it's not fair now either. It would be more fair to the public though I suppose. Look at it as a "let's eat the cake, and preserve some of it" from the crowds POV.
Also, as a punishment, the caught rider would have to return to the said race, ride on a one wheeled bike with a clown suit at the back of the peloton in a "ride of shame".

Btw, I have no hopes of big changes in the world (of sport) as it currently is, but having read your posts on the "change the sport"- thread I am also glad that I don't have your cynical and self preserving attitude towards change for the better.

Edit: I suppose it is a stupid idea, keeping the results. Let all doping free perhaps and make a reality show about it. :rolleyes:

Also, as a punishment, the caught rider would have to return to the said race, ride on a one wheeled bike with a clown suit at the back of the peloton in a "ride of shame". Nice one :D

Yeah its all a head spin of deception and money ,,,,,,Talking about the UCI ,WADA all of them. There useless and don't really care. It is a shame for any athlete who does not want to dope but its the way of pro sports/big business. I find it hard to blame athletes, it's the climate they have to deal with.

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
True though the sport is still in a mess..the reality is that most races are still getting won by doped riders..until the UCI admits properly that they are loosing the battle at the moment..then nothing is going to change..it needs the public to know the full story..all the hidden Tues for starters.. the sport has to go really rock bottom before things can be re built with a proper structure where doping has no place.
If a rider is caught doping it should end his career and along with the doctors and team personnel he should face prison.. after all its theft of prize money..winning by cheating..