• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco, if but he had a different name and PR

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
say, Ricco was not on Saunier, say his name is Edvald, or his surname is Sagan. And he has good PR.

He is the next wunderkind. And the UCI protects him, especially if he is on an anglophone team.

There is a threshold.

Another blackcat maxim:
"The AIG maxim: at a certain point, a rider (see StrongArm), becomes too big to fail, and the UCI will not bring him down"

I think it was his attitude more than anything else.

Strange thing is, I actually like the little unrepentant ****er b/c of his attitude. I hope he gets on the juice again and goes head-to-head with all the 'clean' riders at the Tour. Somebody has got to be able to match Bertie in the mountains and I don't think Rasmussen can do it again.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
I think it was his attitude more than anything else.

Strange thing is, I actually like the little unrepentant ****er b/c of his attitude. I hope he gets on the juice again and goes head-to-head with all the 'clean' riders at the Tour. Somebody has got to be able to match Bertie in the mountains and I don't think Rasmussen can do it again.
but most of his "attitude" reputation, came after his positive. He was outspoken, but even Gilbo Simoni, who is universally loved, said he would thump StrongArm in the mtns at the Tour. Cav has a massive mouth. Pots Boonen, and every opportunity to put the boot into Kenny Van Hummel, Cav relishes. He even pushed a Skil guy at the Tour last year, in a sprint, but dont think it was Van Hummel. I am sure Cav said it was him and thought it was, but I think it was a different guy if I recall.

No one hates Cav for being a pri<k.

No one hates StrongArm. Horner and Landis have had fueds with him, Horner rides for him now.

The notoriety of "the Cobra" has come post doping positive, and lots of post hoc justifications, "the guy is a pri<k" read false and disingenuous.

Manzano, Sink, Jorg Jaksche, Kohl, all have been marginalised too, after speaking out, and telling the truth.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Any guy, who is, lets face it, frankly not too smart, and gives himself a nickname like "the Cobra" and its exposition "I call myself the Cobra cause I look at my enemies in the face then I strike" (words to that effect) plus maintains hubris when he should listen to the hierarchy and pay penance... that is a mixture that takes my imagination. I luv, but I hated him at the start, as just another doper. But the guy has something.

The Cipollini front and pizzazz was in my opinion, pretty false and confected. This is just Ricco. Cipollini could have all the podium models and slick back hair, but to me, Cipo was a little like Mike Ball. Pretty superficial. Great rider, just pretty superficial. Ricco does it for me.

I liked the Cavendish from the start, who would bumble his way through media door stops, and was a car crash needing media training. Ineloquence personified. No Cavendish, besides hard charging and chin growth, has become another StrongArm with his media behaviour, lots of omerta, lies, and then some bullying to boot. I prefer Ricco anyday of the week.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
but most of his "attitude" reputation, came after his positive. He was outspoken, but even Gilbo Simoni, who is universally loved, said he would thump StrongArm in the mtns at the Tour. Cav has a massive mouth. Pots Boonen, and every opportunity to put the boot into Kenny Van Hummel, Cav relishes. He even pushed a Skil guy at the Tour last year, in a sprint, but dont think it was Van Hummel. I am sure Cav said it was him and thought it was, but I think it was a different guy if I recall.

No one hates Cav for being a pri<k.

No one hates StrongArm. Horner and Landis have had fueds with him, Horner rides for him now.

The notoriety of "the Cobra" has come post doping positive, and lots of post hoc justifications, "the guy is a pri<k" read false and disingenuous.

Manzano, Sink, Jorg Jaksche, Kohl, all have been marginalised too, after speaking out, and telling the truth.

Piet Rooijakkers?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Piet Rooijakkers?

good memory Craig. I assume you are Australian, when you make it over 'ear, I will treat you to a good Ozzie meal at the Outback Steakhouse, with a starter of the "bloomin' onion". Do you have Outback Steakhouse down under, or is the only genuine place for Ozzie fare and the gourmand is at Outback Steakhouse 'ear. Will treat you to the first round of Fosters too.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I like Ricco. He is the first and original Cobra" http://www.cobracaralarms.com.au/
cobra_logo.gif

cobra%20baby.png

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
good memory Craig. I assume you are Australian, when you make it over 'ear, I will treat you to a good Ozzie meal at the Outback Steakhouse, with a starter of the "bloomin' onion". Do you have Outback Steakhouse down under, or is the only genuine place for Ozzie fare and the gourmand is at Outback Steakhouse 'ear. Will treat you to the first round of Fosters too.

We have all those things, but you have to fight your way past the snakes and crocs to get to them.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
We have all those things, but you have to fight your way past the snakes and crocs to get to them.

Don't forget those pesky spiders.

dang_24_big.jpg

Eastern Male Mouse Spider. Best if you don't get bitten by one of them.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
He even pushed a Skil guy at the Tour last year, in a sprint, but dont think it was Van Hummel. I am sure Cav said it was him and thought it was, but I think it was a different guy if I recall.

Video of it here: http://player.nos.nl/index.php/media/play/tcmid/tcm:5-538391/

Rooijakkers tries to settle the issue maturely and Cavendish responds (@3:07) like the thick-headed bully he is.

Riccò could definitely need a PR adviser, but I think he is intelligent, and reading some of his comments he is genuinely witty, unlike most of the pro cycling twotter army.

He's my favorite (known) doper.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
ricco is an arrogant little **** there is nothing cute or admirable about his behavior look at his recent treatment of his girlfriend who is the mother of his child what a self serving ego driven individual. cavendish needs to grow up to there are plenty who dislike both because of there actions and attitudes. doping aside ricco in particular is a bad guy put in simple terms.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
Video of it here: http://player.nos.nl/index.php/media/play/tcmid/tcm:5-538391/

Rooijakkers tries to settle the issue maturely and Cavendish responds (@3:07) like the thick-headed bully he is.

Riccò could definitely need a PR adviser, but I think he is intelligent, and reading some of his comments he is genuinely witty, unlike most of the pro cycling twotter army.

He's my favorite (known) doper.

Also from the video doesn't cav push him first?

blackcat said:
say, Ricco was not on Saunier, say his name is Edvald, or his surname is Sagan. And he has good PR.

He is the next wunderkind. And the UCI protects him, especially if he is on an anglophone team.

There is a threshold.

Another blackcat maxim:
"The AIG maxim: at a certain point, a rider (see StrongArm), becomes too big to fail, and the UCI will not bring him down"
Well Ricco would've been almost as hated as he is now even if he wasn't caught for doping.

Lately i started to like Ricco. His comments(He is not afraid to say what he means.)
And of course he was the only one besides Rassmusen who could match Berto in the mountains, hopes he get to ride the Giro, he is still young and can make many races interesting.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
markene2 said:
Lately i started to like Ricco. His comments(He is not afraid to say what he means.)
And of course he was the only one besides Rassmusen who could match Berto in the mountains, hopes he get to ride the Giro, he is still young and can make many races interesting.

He could match contador when he road from the beach in spain to the start of the Giro.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Don't forget those pesky spiders.

dang_24_big.jpg

Eastern Male Mouse Spider. Best if you don't get bitten by one of them.

It's the female in the species you have to watch out for. In arachnoid's females are bigger and deadlier.

Personally forget the snakes and crocs. I always thought the Bunyips, Yowies and Drop Bears were the real problems. Many a tourist has met their fate at the claws/teeth of one of these. Heck, Tim The Yowie Man goes looking for the Blackcat in the Blue Mountains every year. You know, the lost Panther, otherwise known as the Lithgow, Blue Mountains Panther. Lots of danger lurking out in the bush near my place, enough that I'm amazed I go out at night.:D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
As for Ricco. From a spectator stand point I hated seeing the hypocritical stance taken by commentators (mostly aussie ones) in 2008 when Ricco was busted. I didn't like him then and he still looks like a slippery weasel but I understand his position and thinking now, whereas two years ago I did not.

As for his girlfriend etc, maybe it is just for PR. I don't know but her being busted did not help his new team because the first question on most people's minds was "Who could have given her the CERA and info on how to use it?" Ricco of course. I hope for his sake he distanced himself temporarily for PR reasons. Dumping her for any other reason is really, really low in my book. Even worse when she had your baby. That blows really hard.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
ricco is an arrogant little **** there is nothing cute or admirable about his behavior look at his recent treatment of his girlfriend who is the mother of his child what a self serving ego driven individual. cavendish needs to grow up to there are plenty who dislike both because of there actions and attitudes. doping aside ricco in particular is a bad guy put in simple terms.

I wouldn't read too much into the throw the wife under the bus debacle. Was probably an agreement the couple made to protect his return into the peloton. As the the sole breadwinner, it would be blatantly stupid to jeopardise the paychecks.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
It's the female in the species you have to watch out for. In arachnoid's females are bigger and deadlier.

Personally forget the snakes and crocs. I always thought the Bunyips, Yowies and Drop Bears were the real problems. Many a tourist has met their fate at the claws/teeth of one of these. Heck, Tim The Yowie Man goes looking for the Blackcat in the Blue Mountains every year. You know, the lost Panther, otherwise known as the Lithgow, Blue Mountains Panther. Lots of danger lurking out in the bush near my place, enough that I'm amazed I go out at night.:D

Brodeal repeats to himself:

"I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia".

:p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Brodeal repeats to himself:

"I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia", "I will never visit Australia".

:p

Why visit Oz when you got the Outback Steakhouse instead?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Another blackcat maxim:

I dunno bc, what about Dickie Virenque? - he was (in Europe anyway) one of the biggest going around

TRENDING THREADS