• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco temporary suspension announced

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
euanli said:
They have suspended him for "his own safety", hopefully this will mean they will actually help the guy and take him to therapy.

The federation has no business worrying about the so-called health of its riders outside of the safety of a bike race (which they failed to do in this year's Giro apparently) and this is nothing but a pretext to use Ricco as their poster boy for their new anti-doping PR stance. Italy is a lot like Spain in that it is corrupt when it comes to anti-doping, so they want to give the impression they are just the opposite. How do riders like Rebellin and DiLuca and Garzelli - guys who have doped their entire career still have a license?

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
Trained ER docs are fully capable of assessing the levels of consciousness in critically ill patients, thank you, whether they use the AVPU, GCS, Glasgow or other scales. If he says he was fully conscious, he most likely was, and if standard procedure was followed it was also logged.

Right, yeah, physicians are never wrong. That's why there's no such thing as medical malpractice lawsuits or attorneys who specialize their entire career in such things. Thanks for the insight into the omniscient world of medicine.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
Right, yeah, physicians are never wrong. That's why there's no such thing as medical malpractice lawsuits or attorneys who specialize their entire career in such things. Thanks for the insight into the omniscient world of medicine.

sure physicians make mistakes, and sometimes they're even blissfully buried, but it's a comparatively low occurrence when you think of the possibilities we have!
Anyhow, with a high-profile case like the Cobra's you bet they dot their i's and cross their t's. I know I would.

Thanks for the glib remark, btw. On an open and shut case like Riccò's it's a real boon to have smartarses like yourself disseminate the ins and outs of an ER.

Dr. Maserati said:
To be fair - it looks as though Ricco getting a team has got CONI to act quickly on the matter.
Remember he is only 'provisionally' suspended while they are preparing to take a case against him.

From the newest story on CN it seems that all he has to do is send off some documentation proving his fitness - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-has-not-proven-fitness-to-race-says-italian-federation-doctor

Not sure what that would involve though.

Didn't know the doctor he confessed to had died until today.

luckyboy said:
Didn't know the doctor he confessed to had died until today.
it was not the doctor he allegedly confessed to that died. it was the one who was investigating it:

A full analysis of all of the medical data related to Riccò’s kidney blockage on behalf of the Modena investigation is expected to be completed before the end of the month. The late Professor Giovanni Beduschi of the University of Modena had been charged with the task but his death last month has delayed proceedings. His colleague Sabino Pelosi, the haematologist Marco Marietta and gastroenterologist Erica Villa are now examining whether Riccò’s illness was caused by the transfusion of incorrectly-stored blood.

craig1985 said:
You would have to think they have come across more information to suspend him. I dare say there is a lot more to the story then what gets published.
+1.

This is not standard cycling BS procedures (Like the hematocrit 50% rule). The Judge probably has some information from doctor's which promted him to do something. This probably has something to do with protecting the health of the people.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i didn't have a chance to read all the posts, so forgive me if this was mentioned, but the way the italian federciclismo medical folks sound, it seems they are responding to ricco attempting to bypass some specific italian regulation.

if so, i'm with federazione ciclistica italiana.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
python said:
i didn't have a chance to read all the posts, so forgive me if this was mentioned, but the way the italian federciclismo medical folks sound, it seems they are responding to ricco attempting to bypass some specific italian regulation.

if so, i'm with federazione ciclistica italiana.

to quote the website

http://www.federciclismo.it/notizie/ntzstrada.asp?mcodice=11795&pg=1&riga=

COMMISSIONE TUTELA DELLA SALUTE: Riccardo Riccò sospeso dall’attività agonistica per motivi cautelari
La Commissione Tutela della Salute della Federazione Ciclistica Italiana, presieduta dal Dott. Luigi Simonetto, ha provveduto, in data odierna, a sospendere l’atleta Riccardo Riccò dall’attività agonistica per motivi inerenti alla tutela della salute dell’atleta stesso.

HEALTH COMMISSION: Riccardo Riccò suspended from racing for prudential reasons
The Commission for Health Protection of the Italian Cycling Federation, chaired by Dr. Louise Simonetto, has done so, today, to suspend the activity competitive athlete Riccardo Ricco on grounds relating to protection of health of the athlete himself.

hektoren said:
Trained ER docs are fully capable of assessing the levels of consciousness in critically ill patients, thank you, whether they use the AVPU, GCS, Glasgow or other scales. If he says he was fully conscious, he most likely was, and if standard procedure was followed it was also logged.

I am a doctor and let's not overestimate the capabilities of any doctor -- especially those who work in an ER. They are often overwhelmed with the number of cases and don't have the ability to fully assess someone's confession.

I'm not saying that Ricco is innocent in the least, but I think that CONI will have trouble if they are basing a suspension simply on a confession to the ER doctor.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Highlander said:
I am a doctor and let's not overestimate the capabilities of any doctor -- especially those who work in an ER. They are often overwhelmed with the number of cases and don't have the ability to fully assess someone's confession.

I'm not saying that Ricco is innocent in the least, but I think that CONI will have trouble if they are basing a suspension simply on a confession to the ER doctor.

"Especially those who work in an ER"??????
Which probably means that you did your week-long stint in an ER as a student, didn't like it, isn't really qualified for it now, and spend your days treating varicose veins, halitosis, BP and the flu as a GP. Good for you!

Highlander said:

It looks like based on the ER doctor report to the police, they took blood samples and sent them for analysis and evaluation. Probably that's what they are waiting for. Just to validate Ricco's confession to the doctor. They also have the Kidney failure sympton's agreeing with Ricco's confession wich add weights to the provisional suspension.

Right?:confused:

hektoren said:
"Especially those who work in an ER"??????
Which probably means that you did your week-long stint in an ER as a student, didn't like it, isn't really qualified for it now, and spend your days treating varicose veins, halitosis, BP and the flu as a GP. Good for you!
are you a doctor? do you work in an ER??? is that why you are such a f***ing expert on the subject? think you know everything and save lives with a single touch? so who gives a fig about compassion? then rude to other doctors because they don't have your messiah complex?

and people call Riccò arrogant :rolleyes:

Escarabajo said:
It looks like based on the ER doctor report to the police, they took blood samples and sent them for analysis and evaluation. Probably that's what they are waiting for. Just to validate Ricco's confession to the doctor. They also have the Kidney failure sympton's agreeing with Ricco's confession wich add weights to the provisional suspension.

Right?:confused:
kidney failure can be caused by many things and Riccò has a history of kidney problems. that's not to say it wasn't caused by a botched transfusion, simply that that isn't the only possible scenario.

the doctor who was looking into the science, all the tests and the like, is the one who died. that has caused the delay and, yes, results are what they are waiting for.

Highlander said:

thank you for that.

i am not saying Riccò is innocent either... the trouble i have had with this from the very beginning is that all we have heard about is the alleged confession... that and the fact that it came out in public whilst Riccò was deathly ill. why? is that the norm in Italy?

if it is the "confession" only, it's boll0cks.

if the tests back it up, that's another story altogether.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ricco needs to get things together.

Carabo said:
Exactly. On what grounds are they suspending him and why now? The timing hints at publicatory motives on part of the Italian Cycling Federation, which is sickening.

Whatever landed Ricco in the hospital needs to be investigated. Until then, free to ride as far as I care. If proven guilty a lifetime ban does seem apropriate. The line between suspect and guilty is waaaaay to vague in modern cycling, for which the motives are various but never in the interest of the sport or the rider. :(

I agree that Ricco should be allowed to race for now. I really hope however that Ricco can pull himself together. I remember watching him in the Tour de France with Pieopli and together those riders were very exciting to watch. They could both put in punchy attacks at hilltop stages to bury GC contenders. It was fun to watch, especially since the trend lately has been to stay in a pack for the entire Tour, except for one or two mountain stages and the time trials. Ricco gave cycling great entertainment, and I hated to see him test positive.

gustienordic said:
I agree that Ricco should be allowed to race for now. I really hope however that Ricco can pull himself together. I remember watching him in the Tour de France with Pieopli and together those riders were very exciting to watch. They could both put in punchy attacks at hilltop stages to bury GC contenders. It was fun to watch, especially since the trend lately has been to stay in a pack for the entire Tour, except for one or two mountain stages and the time trials. Ricco gave cycling great entertainment, and I hated to see him test positive.

You cannot have it both ways, now can you? The punchy hilltop finishes that buried the GC contenders, as you put it, may have een exciting but came courtesy of EPO as we thought then and know now. So what you are basically saying is that you like extraordinary achievements like that and couldn't give a rat's a$$ how they come about? I can't wait for the Clinic-faithful to bring it to you. :D

Regards
GJ

hektoren said:
Read the story: Torri was set to request an immediate precautionary suspension for Riccò if evidence of a transfusion was confirmed. This is that precautionary suspension.

Further, "the doctor in Pavullo confirmed his version of events to investigators and said that Riccò was fully conscious at the time of the alleged confession".

"Riccò was requested to appear before the Modena public prosecutor Pasquale Mazzei on Monday and again yesterday, but on each occasion the rider refused to present himself."

Precautionary suspension? What next? There has to be more to this story.

This has nothing to do with justice. Based on these facts he should be free to race like Contador! Of course he's guilty, but they need to present real facts to suspend him. It can't be that theres just hard action against him, while these spanish *******s Contador and Valverde are allowed to win gt's with a smile on their dirty faces. I'm sure in Spain he would not even get banned for his Cera use, because it was just prooved by a unsure urine sample test not by a blood sample. At least this is a shame for justice...

TRENDING THREADS