• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Ricco is the idea person to be exploited by ruthless people. They will chew him up and spit him out. But at this point, I've little sympathy.

He is an adult, physically anyway, maybe not mentally. His choice. No sympathy.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
seems like riccardo ricco is the only target for coni in the last 5 years...pathetic

CONI has never caught him, they have handed him bans a couple of times, but after others have caught him. The first time he was caught was in France, the second time he blabbered to the doc when he came in half dead to the hospital after a DIY transfusion, and now he was caught by the police. So either CONI aren't targeting him or they are doing a poor job of it.

He should sue the idiotic Gran Fondo organizers who lets him race for encouraging his illegal drug use and endangering his health.

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't see what the big deal is, he is already banned and can't compete, shouldn't he be able to take what he wants? If he takes some stupid Strava record they can be flagged and removed easily. I don't why people are so worked up about Ricco, there are far more important things, this is just a distraction.

ralphbert said:
I don't see what the big deal is, he is already banned and can't compete, shouldn't he be able to take what he wants? If he takes some stupid Strava record they can be flagged and removed easily. I don't why people are so worked up about Ricco, there are far more important things, this is just a distraction.
He's buying prescription drugs illegally.

You don't even need ad hoc antidoping laws to prosecute dopers and, more importantly, their suppliers.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
ralphbert said:

Pour encourager les autres.

Ricco is clearly, bad-to-the-bone hardcore; he just does not give a flying f*** about the idea of doping being the wrong thing to do. Even in our ****ed up sport, I think he's an outlier.

But as Ricco goes from enemy of clean sport, to figure of ridicule, it acts as some sort of warning, however over the top, of where the rabbithole leads. So for that reason, I'm glad it's public. Personally, I hope he gets the help he needs to find a life away from the bike.

But I doubt it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
It would be interesting to see the process used to catch Ricco, and then ask why that process seems to falter with di Luca et al.

He used a new drug that the anti doping people could identify with a simple test. They had a marker in the drug that the developer agreed to insert in cooperation with anti doping authorities or at least I heard that CERA was marked in development a completely new approach. I think that is 1 surprise that several people did not anticipate.
Add to that Ricco was far to arrogant to realize he got caught stupid and doped.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Master50 said:
He used a new drug that the anti doping people could identify with a simple test.

:confused:

I am not talking about something that happened years ago.

He has just been "caught" in the last day or so buying drugs in some random McDonalds car park. What was the process that lead to that capture, because it implies a bunch of things that seem unusual, and should be applicable to people like di Luca.

I still find that the most disturbing thing is that his supplier was a hospital employee. Has there been any word on what is happening to them? Stealing medication from an Oncology ward would have to carry a hefty penalty (assuming that's what happened)

42x16ss said:
I still find that the most disturbing thing is that his supplier was a hospital employee. Has there been any word on what is happening to them? Stealing medication from an Oncology ward would have to carry a hefty penalty (assuming that's what happened)

seen dallas buyers club? his AZT supplier was the hospital cleaner
doubt it's uncommon...

webbie146 said:
Uhm why? He does not seem depressed at all.

He's clearly looking for something (fame/fortune/attention etc) when he realises he's not going to get it via the route he's trying I think that will be pretty hard for him.

I also assume he's probable going to start thinking he is being persecuted for something he perceives is normal for a pro.

Lots of assumptions I know but I wouldn't have said he was in good place.

Ferminal said:
What's with all the judgement?

How dare someone do whatever the **** they want to do with their life without harming others...

The point is that it is illegal in Italy. You would expect Riccò to know that right? So he was stupid. Maybe if he did it in any other place where authorities don't give a fly, no one would be judging his mental capacities.

Could be worse. Where I live, if you fail an attemped suicide, you will likely go to jail.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
What's with all the judgement?

How dare someone do whatever the **** they want to do with their life without harming others...

Well, he's illegally taking hospitals medicines presumably supposed to be used to heal sick people for his own twisted hobby. i think that might count as harming others, just for starters -and that's before we get into more esoteric arguments about encouraging dangerously unsanctioned and unmonitored drug use in others with his sh!thead shenanigans and making the sport an even worse laughing stock than it already is

So yeah, Fermi, what's with the f***ing judgement - the judgement by you, that is, of those of us who think Ricco's behaviour ought to be a matter of concern?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
The point is that it is illegal in Italy. You would expect Riccò to know that right? So he was stupid. Maybe if he did it in any other place where authorities don't give a fly, no one would be judging his mental capacities.

Could be worse. Where I live, if you fail an attemped suicide, you will likely go to jail.

Jeez, you need to live somewhere else, boss.

martinvickers said:
Well, he's illegally taking hospitals medicines presumably supposed to be used to heal sick people for his own twisted hobby. i think that might count as harming others, just for starters -and that's before we get into more esoteric arguments about encouraging dangerously unsanctioned and unmonitored drug use in others with his sh!thead shenanigans and making the sport an even worse laughing stock than it already is

lol, so nice of you to care about the ongoing medical crisis in Italy as a result of a shortage of pharmaceuticals.

Who has he encouraged? People who are vulnerable and unable to make their own choices?

TRENDING THREADS