• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

In today's Gazzetta dello Sport, Riccardo Riccò gave his first interview following a 3 hour training ride:

Do you think about a comeback?

"No, I ride just casually, to enjoy myself. I began a week ago, but not every day, only when I have the need. It's much more nice and relaxing this way. We just shoot the sh!t and stop at the cafe for a coffee. I have no desire to return to racing. Not one bit. I've turned the page on cycling. The world of cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit. All those within the sport disgust me. They wanted to make me stop already when I came back. Now that's enough: Riccò is no longer. So don't break my balls any more".

Other provocative quotes: "The phrases attributed to me at Pavullo are inventions. And had I remained in that hospital, I'd have been dead: they didn't understand anything".

"I didn't read the dailies, though they had told me that they already tried and condemned me. Instead, this had nothing to do with doping. I didn't reveal anything to the medics".

"I want to begin to work like everyone else. I'd like to become a barman. It's better to earn 1000 euro per month than to go back to the peleton. There would be less stress."

"I don't have any health problems. I'm well and ride my bike. They told me I'd return as I was before. I'm not demoralized. The important thing is to have your conscience in place. I don't miss cycling".

rhubroma said:
In today's Gazzetta dello Sport, Riccardo Riccò gave his first interview following a 3 hour training ride:

Do you think about a comeback?

"No, I ride just casually, to enjoy myself. I began a week ago, but not every day, only when I have the need. It's much more nice and relaxing this way. We just shoot the sh!t and stop at the cafe for a coffee. I have no desire to return to racing. Not one bit. I've turned the page on cycling. The world of cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit. All those within the sport disgust me. They wanted to make me stop already when I came back. Now that's enough: Riccò is no longer. So don't break my balls any more".

Other provocative quotes: "The phrases attributed to me at Pavullo are inventions. And had I remained in that hospital, I'd have been dead: they didn't understand anything".

"I didn't read the dailies, though they had told me that they already tried and condemned me. Instead, this had nothing to do with doping. I didn't reveal anything to the medics".

"I want to begin to work like everyone else. I'd like to become a barman. It's better to earn 1000 euro per month than to go back to the peleton. There would be less stress."

"I don't have any health problems. I'm well and ride my bike. They told me I'd return as I was before. I'm not demoralized. The important thing is to have your conscience in place. I don't miss cycling".

SOunds sane to me. Would like to see him turn on a few people though. If hes got no chance of returning to the peloton tell the authorities about doping in the peloton. Presumably thats what he means by " The world of cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit."

The Hitch said:
SOunds sane to me. Would like to see him turn on a few people though. If hes got no chance of returning to the peloton tell the authorities about doping in the peloton. Presumably thats what he means by " The world of cycling disgusts me and has made me want to vomit."

Well it's "sane" only if his version of the story is truthful. Otherwise, we have someone with serious denial and psychological issues.

I hope for Riccò that he is telling the truth, but his past, and those of so many of his colleagues, makes me at the very least somewhat skeptical.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
He seems like the type of person where his whole truth will never match up with other people's versions.

But, it's great to hear that he can ride his bike for fun and it sounds like he can potentially lead a productive and healthy life.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i wonder why he gave the interview. Is it to spit venom at pro cycling or to let everyone know he is finished but he knows too much and might spill the beans on what makes him want to vomit?????

Riccó i doubt ever speaks the truth.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
What I don't understand is how he was on his death bed 3 or 4 weeks ago and is now out riding his bike for fun? To me that sounds very strange.

Who's telling the truth? Was he as sick as the media made him out to be or was he just 'kind of sick' and had to be checked into the hospital for a night or two?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
mwbyrd said:
What I don't understand is how he was on his death bed 3 or 4 weeks ago and is now out riding his bike for fun? To me that sounds very strange.

Who's telling the truth? Was he as sick as the media made him out to be or was he just 'kind of sick' and had to be checked into the hospital for a night or two?

depending on the ailment you can be close to death and fine 4 weeks later all depends on the illness.

sniper said:
No doubt in my mind that he's a talented bartender.

(keywords such as juice, and cocktails, jump to mind, but that's too cheap)

The illness has transformed his body. He'll be able to pour beers at a high cadence. He'll have a new found determination and train harder and make cocktails like none other.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

we do not need more rats who once caught at there own game tattle on there once compatriots and the sport which made them rich that is the lowest of the low.
as much as i dislike ricco i dont think he would do that though he is rather sleazy look at his treatment of his pregnant wife well see. dont do the crime if you cant do the time put simply seriously no more back stabbing rat/aka bitter ex-cyclists its just sad.

forty four said:
we do not need more rats who once caught at there own game tattle on there once compatriots and the sport which made them rich that is the lowest of the low.
as much as i dislike ricco i dont think he would do that though he is rather sleazy look at his treatment of his pregnant wife well see. dont do the crime if you cant do the time put simply seriously no more back stabbing rat/aka bitter ex-cyclists its just sad.

Oh no, if he has something to tell, then he should tell it.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Oh no, if he has something to tell, then he should tell it.

Yes it would be interesting. He could start with his family. What it always turns into with individuals like Landis and Ricco is their selective memory. Their selective memory lashes out at those who they feel have taken advantage of them. Truth yes, but not the whole truth, I would not play games with Landis and Ricco, no thanks, nein danka. No forgiveness.

flicker said:
Yes it would be interesting. He could start with his family. What it always turns into with individuals like Landis and Ricco is their selective memory. Their selective memory lashes out at those who they feel have taken advantage of them. Truth yes, but not the whole truth, I would not play games with Landis and Ricco, no thanks, nein danka. No forgiveness.

No, no, no. Don't bother me with this drivel.

What Landis has had to tell and what Riccò potentially has to say, simply demands to be told.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
No, no, no. Don't bother me with this drivel.

What Landis has had to tell and what Riccò potentially has to say, simply demands to be told.

For the good of the sport, or your morbid curiosity?

I will switch to Landis here. Yes, interesting story. Entertaining. Totally rubbished cycling IMO.

Ricco will keep his mouth shut, to much of his family is involved.

If he did talk he would rubbish cycling and all sports. Another continuation of Riccos' path of destruction.

I mention Landis, because not only have he and Ricco self destructed, destroyed their own families, rubbished cycling, but they have put off a lot of sponsorship and put teams away killed the teams(Phonak,Saunier Duval)

Also, for them it is all someone elses fault. Classic denial.

flicker said:
For the good of the sport, or your morbid curiosity?

I will switch to Landis here. Yes, interesting story. Entertaining. Totally rubbished cycling IMO.

Ricco will keep his mouth shut, to much of his family is involved.

If he did talk he would rubbish cycling and all sports. Another continuation of Riccos' path of destruction.

I mention Landis, because not only have he and Ricco self destructed, destroyed their own families, rubbished cycling, but they have put off a lot of sponsorship and put teams away killed the teams(Phonak,Saunier Duval)

Also, for them it is all someone elses fault. Classic denial.

Let's put it this way in my immune defense system I have anti-bodies against omertà. Where omertà exists it needs to be exposed. I really couldn't care less about the consequences of exposing omertà, just that it needs to be exposed, whatever those consequences might be.

As far as Landis "self-destructing" and telling "lies", my thoughts couldn't be more different from yours and, in time, we should all have a clearer picture on this account. Or if not, then omertà and special interests have prevailed again which would be a loss, not a gain, for the sport.

But to return to Riccò, he has several options. To tell or not to tell, that is the question. However if this has nothing to do with doping, that it was all merely invented to further sully his name and reputation: then why should he not put up a defense to regain his profession?

Blaming it on stress seems to be a cop-out. Or if he has to face the music, then he's got much to tell that could be of use to CONI. At this point he's really got nothing else to loose, because in Italy nobody goes to jail for this type of crime.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Let's put it this way in my immune defense system I have anti-bodies against omertà. Where omertà exists it needs to be exposed. I really couldn't care less about the consequences of exposing omertà, just that it needs to be exposed, whatever those consequences might be.

a big fat +1 for that remark.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
snip

If he did talk he would rubbish cycling

snip

the person who will do the biggest damage to the sport in it's history will be LA, but you know this and make every effort to deflect that. ;)

those rider's who expose the rotten heart of the sport willingly are part of the process that will help the sport move from a PED riddled sport to one of majority of clean participants .

Riccó is a symptom of being a talented rider/athlete encouraged to dope from a young age just like LA. Teenage dopers who know no different becoming adult dopers.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:

As far as Landis "self-destructing" and telling "lies", my thoughts couldn't be more different from yours and, in time, we should all have a clearer picture on this account. Or if not, then omertà and special interests have prevailed again which would be a loss, not a gain, for the sport.

But to return to Riccò, he has several options. To tell or not to tell, that is the question. However if this has nothing to do with doping, that it was all merely invented to further sully his name and reputation: then why should he not put up a defense to regain his profession?

Blaming it on stress seems to be a cop-out. Or if he has to face the music, then he's got much to tell that could be of use to CONI. At this point he's really got nothing else to loose, because in Italy nobody goes to jail for this type of crime.

I agree with you, if Ricco confessed I think it would be for the good of the sport. In the case of Landis, he never turned over any new stones for us to investigate. In Landis case I think he was into personal vendetta, which I choose not to be part of.

Ricco as an individual I find toxic. So I would be sceptical about anything he revealed, I think he has family to protect. It is obvious that Ricco was under investigation(operation cobra) he chose to shun his companion and child when she tested positive for CERA, and of course he didn't have a bad reaction to his own transfussion.

Is Ricco someone we should listen to now??

flicker said:
I agree with you, if Ricco confessed I think it would be for the good of the sport. In the case of Landis, he never turned over any new stones for us to investigate. In Landis case I think he was into personal vendetta, which I choose not to be part of.

Ricco as an individual I find toxic. So I would be sceptical about anything he revealed, I think he has family to protect. It is obvious that Ricco was under investigation(operation cobra) he chose to shun his companion and child when she tested positive for CERA, and of course he didn't have a bad reaction to his own transfussion.

Is Ricco someone we should listen to now??

No new stones? Tell Novinsky and the feds that!

You're right though, for me there was nothing suprising, no "new stones", brought to light by Landis. Just old stones. Just old and tiresome stones.

But, then again, they were indeed new to a group of investigators who have taken them most seriously.

Yea Riccò is more toxic than an entire circus from the 90's that has gotten us to his case and this point today. Pffft

TRENDING THREADS