• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ricco

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d'Huez said:
Hilarous. I looked at the calendar and expected it to be April 1.

What's next for him, an attempt at being the head of the UCI.

And yet, Contador, Ballan (and others) are free to ride. Ricco got shafted by Vac while they defend Mosquera, Ballan gets fingered but BMC see no problem with him riding.

He does, have a point. There is a double standard as to who gets excluded and who doesn't.

I think with what is happening with other riders at the moment, he should be allowed to race too.

Part of me wonders what the situation would be like if he was on a bigger team like Liquigas. Certainly he wouldn't be doing the transfusing himself.

If Di Luca didn't get a lifetime ban, Ricco shouldn't.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
problem with Ricco is his interview a month ago about being done with the sport, slagging it off etc..and saying his was going to be a barman.

that would have píssed all the Italian teams off and no on ouitside of Italy is going to want to sign such a 'snake':D

Benotti69 said:
problem with Ricco is his interview a month ago about being done with the sport, slagging it off etc..and saying his was going to be a barman.

that would have píssed all the Italian teams off and no on ouitside of Italy is going to want to sign such a 'snake':D

Wasn't Dertie threatening the same thing around December time?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Wasn't Dertie threatening the same thing around December time?

yep but he chose his words alot more carefully or the media reported them differently from Riccó's.

Riccó has proven to be a loose cannon and i cannot see too many sponsors happy to have him standing on the podium wearing their name. But some like any publicity whether good or bad so who knows

edit; maybe he can get in touch with the priest Di Luca used and go to a school and do the i am sorry pr rubbish give me a chance again cabaret

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
yep but he chose his words alot more carefully or the media reported them differently from Riccó's.

Riccó has proven to be a loose cannon and i cannot see too many sponsors happy to have him standing on the podium wearing their name. But some like any publicity whether good or bad so who knows

edit; maybe he can get in touch with the priest Di Luca used and go to a school and do the i am sorry pr rubbish give me a chance again cabaret

Ricco compared himself to Pantani. (His second fatal flaw after doping.)

The point is, that like others, Ricco is almost certainly going to be blackballed by the teams etc. He'll get the same treatment that Jaksche, Sinkewitz, Chicken, TV etc got. No one will touch him. Witness how everyone enjoyed piling onto Ricco when he was in hospital.

You've got riders like Dertie (previously Piti) who were free to ride and were supported by their teams.

Riders who are free to ride but not allowed by their team (Mosquera) (Questions have to be asked of Vac and their double standards in these cases).

Riders who get sacked but can't find a job while waiting for their case to be heard (Ricco, TV, Franco P)

If Contador is allowed to be on the start line for the Giro then why isn't Ricco?

GJB123 said:
Well I haven't seen it on Cyclingnews yet, but Dutch newspapers are reporting thar Ricco declared himself completely innocent at the CONI-hearing and is by the way actively seeking a return to professional cycling at the same time. Talking about being persistent! :rolleyes:

EDIT: there it is.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-wants-to-make-a-comeback

Regards
GJ

Did I miss something here? Did CONI ever ban him/found him guilty at all? what was the verdict on his last hearing? WTF?

??????????????

regardless of any answer- I think he's just plutonium-nobody can even get near him at all-too much liability

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
The point is, that like others, Ricco is almost certainly going to be blackballed by the teams etc. He'll get the same treatment that Jaksche, Sinkewitz, Chicken, TV etc got. No one will touch him. Witness how everyone enjoyed piling onto Ricco when he was in hospital.

You've got riders like Dertie (previously Piti) who were free to ride and were supported by their teams.

Riders who are free to ride but not allowed by their team (Mosquera) (Questions have to be asked of Vac and their double standards in these cases).

Riders who get sacked but can't find a job while waiting for their case to be heard (Ricco, TV, Franco P)

If Contador is allowed to be on the start line for the Giro then why isn't Ricco?

I wonder why Riccó isn't suing Vacansoleil, unless they paid him off?

But he cannot ride the giro without a team and who is gonna give him a ride and run the risk of a positive?

Mrs John Murphy said:

So you are saying that some team out there MUST sign Ricco. Some team must sign a rider they do not want. Why?

Susan

Mrs John Murphy said:

The difference is; regardless of his complicity, that Contador is still commercially viable to sponsors and race directors. Ricco is an embarrassment that they just wish would go away.

I'd have to say that I agree on that point.

Susan Westemeyer said:
So you are saying that some team out there MUST sign Ricco. Some team must sign a rider they do not want. Why?

Susan

Flip the question around:

Why did Ricco have to be fired? Why is Ricco teamless while others are free to go on collecting a paycheck and prize money?

If Ricco was fired then why weren't Mosquera, Contador, Popovych, Ballan etc fired?

If we are talking about getting hired - why must riders/ex-dopers hired and welcomed back into the fold? Why must Zabel, Riis, Millar, DDL, Vino, Rihs etc be allowed to be involved in cycling? What right have they got to a second, third or fourth chance that Ricco, JJ etc do not have?

This does nothing but re-enforce the perception of omerta.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:

Why did Ricco have to be fired? Why is Ricco teamless while others are free to go on collecting a paycheck and prize money?

If Ricco was fired then why weren't Mosquera, Contador, Popovych, Ballan etc fired?

If we are talking about getting hired - why must riders/ex-dopers hired and welcomed back into the fold? Why must Zabel, Riis, Millar, DDL, Vino, Rihs etc be allowed to be involved in cycling? What right have they got to a second, third or fourth chance that Ricco, JJ etc do not have?

Yes and Riccó should know this more than anyone but while he did not exactly spit in the soup, he spat in the direction of the table the soup is sitting on so i guess he will not be offered a chance to dine again with the pros.

Mrs John Murphy said:

Because Ricco showed up half dead in a hospital emergency room fighting for his life, and willing to admit to his indiscretion in order to aid his doctors in their effort. There is something compelling and utterly believable about that situation, which unfortunately is also the highest form of self incrimination. I know that I believe he did what he said he did. Why would I doubt him?

In that same vein, why would I not believe a rider who denies guilt until he either confesses, or is proven otherwise? It seems only fair. I suspect the medical evidence of his transfusion will be irrefutable. So aren't we may be just delaying the inevitable... again? He has made his bed, and the greater cycling politic seems happy to let him lie in it. You can call it omerta, but I see it as just another Charley Sheen moment for Ricco... Winning!!!

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yes and Riccó should know this more than anyone but while he did not exactly spit in the soup, he spat in the direction of the table the soup is sitting on so i guess he will not be offered a chance to dine again with the pros.

Ricco stole the pot of soup for himself.
Gorged himself burp.
When he was caught and had to return the leftovers - he spit in it.

Ok, so they made a fresh batch of soup yum.
Ricco came back and stole that pot of soup too. Holy crap.
Gorged himself again behind Dr Sassi's back.
Got caught, returned the leftovers. Spit some more.

Is it any wonder they will not let Ricco into the kitchen anymore?

Ricco denies saying anything in the hospital room. Ironically, just like someone else who denies admitting anything in the hospital room (and who wasn't banned).

Unlike Mosquera, Contador etc Ricco hasn't even tested positive.

Ricco denies his guilt just like Contador and Ballan do.

I am quite sure that the omerta upholders are glad to be rid of Ricco - not because they dislike dopers, but they dislike loose cannons and whistleblowers and people who might blow the lid on their little racket.

Ricco isn't being punished for being a doper, he is punished for talking out of turn. Ricco can't keep his hand out of the cookie jar, well nor can most of the peloton.

Fus087 said:
Wrong way around. If di Luca didn't get a lifetime ban, he should.
It's not a good - or valid - argument to say that "all the others did it too."

I'm not arguing for Ricco necessarily. Just that bans should be even with all riders. Second ban should be a lifetime offence, but if Di Luca didn't get one, I don't see why it should be any different for Ricco.

Susan Westemeyer said:
This is a point I have raised before. He "should" be allowed to race.

How? "Must" a team sign him? He is at the moment not banned, so theoretically he "could" sign with someone and ride. So again, how would this work?

Susan

Well obviously he can race if someone signs him. Just think punishments etc. should be the same for everyone. As someone else just posted, why should he have been sacked when others haven't been?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Ricco denies saying anything in the hospital room. Ironically, just like someone else who denies admitting anything in the hospital room (and who wasn't banned).

I am quite sure that the omerta upholders are glad to be rid of Ricco - not because they dislike dopers, but they dislike loose cannons and whistleblowers and people who might blow the lid on their little racket.

Ricco isn't being punished for being a doper, he is punished for talking out of turn. Ricco can't keep his hand out of the cookie jar, well nor can most of the peloton.

Yep and i would be very surprised to see him get a ride with a big team, unless Katusha are desperate for a win and risk Riccó, but they might be tired of Italians with Pozzato and Di Luca not performing well so far.

If he was U23 Livewrong/Twek could be just the team:D

Mrs John Murphy said:

I think they don't like him because he's an a$$hole.

They're happy to be rid of him because he is, unfortunately... hopelessly stupid!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts