Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good showing today... Albeit this was a very easy MTF, it was nice to see him in the front on the decisive moments... Wasn't expecting that in his first WT ride...

Let's see what he can do on the 5th stage...
 
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Ricco' said:
Good showing today... Albeit this was a very easy MTF, it was nice to see him in the front on the decisive moments... Wasn't expecting that in his first WT ride...

Let's see what he can do on the 5th stage...
Second. He rode Strade Bianche earlier this year.
Yes, my mistake, Strade Bianche doesn't have that WT feeling for me yet. :eek:
 


What a week for him. He rode so good on Gavarnie-Gèdre, but Thursday bonus seconds were his downfall. Making a nice case for himself to earn a Vuelta spot. Hope he gets another chance to lead the team in a race like Burgos.
 
Sep 6, 2017
28
4
2,585
First of all, I'm sorry for my english. :redface:

I'm glad Richard's level in this Vuelta; but the one thing disturb me it's the the way wich he has to "manage" the climbs like today.
He wants all the time follow attacks off Contador, Froome, Lopez and others and others but he never rises at its own pace.
And obviously at the end he lost much of time.

For exemple, today : behind Pedrero but he followed Contador and Lopez one moment.
Same on the stage "Sierra de La Pandera" or "Calar Alto".
I think that it's a pity for him.
 
Sep 3, 2017
914
0
0
hope carapaz will develop in a good climbing domestique Movistar desperate need those to try avoid team sky another tour de france in 2018
 
Orodreth said:
First of all, I'm sorry for my english. :redface:

I'm glad Richard's level in this Vuelta; but the one thing disturb me it's the the way wich he has to "manage" the climbs like today.
He wants all the time follow attacks off Contador, Froome, Lopez and others and others but he never rises at its own pace.
And obviously at the end he lost much of time.

For exemple, today : behind Pedrero but he followed Contador and Lopez one moment.
Same on the stage "Sierra de La Pandera" or "Calar Alto".
I think that it's a pity for him.
I think he's doing ok. He's a neo-pro, whose success at home in South America and quick adaptation to the Spanish domestic scene came often with exuberant and aggressive racing, so he's prone to overdoing it with regards to the pace he tries to ride on some of these climbs after a day at World Tour péloton pace. As he learns that he'll become a more dangerous rider. He's very good on medium mountain type terrain, so this is a good learning experience for him. Unzué is a very patient rider developer (sometimes too patient) even with strong talents like Soler, so the faith he's showing in Richi with the free hand to learn the GT ropes rather than with any pressure on him as a rider for Nairito or Valverde to rely on in the mountains shows they think they've got something good with him.
 
Sep 6, 2017
28
4
2,585
Libertine Seguros said:
Orodreth said:
First of all, I'm sorry for my english. :redface:

I'm glad Richard's level in this Vuelta; but the one thing disturb me it's the the way wich he has to "manage" the climbs like today.
He wants all the time follow attacks off Contador, Froome, Lopez and others and others but he never rises at its own pace.
And obviously at the end he lost much of time.

For exemple, today : behind Pedrero but he followed Contador and Lopez one moment.
Same on the stage "Sierra de La Pandera" or "Calar Alto".
I think that it's a pity for him.
I think he's doing ok. He's a neo-pro, whose success at home in South America and quick adaptation to the Spanish domestic scene came often with exuberant and aggressive racing, so he's prone to overdoing it with regards to the pace he tries to ride on some of these climbs after a day at World Tour péloton pace. As he learns that he'll become a more dangerous rider. He's very good on medium mountain type terrain, so this is a good learning experience for him. Unzué is a very patient rider developer (sometimes too patient) even with strong talents like Soler, so the faith he's showing in Richi with the free hand to learn the GT ropes rather than with any pressure on him as a rider for Nairito or Valverde to rely on in the mountains shows they think they've got something good with him.
Do you think he can realize a good performance on El Angliru ?
 
Movistar has two very talented riders with Carapaz and Soler. There's life after Valverde after all.. Though i think this Carapaz will perform better in GT's as he seems to have more climbing ability than Soler, who i feel is a bit limited in the high mountains.
 
Re:

Moviestar said:
Movistar has two very talented riders with Carapaz and Soler. There's life after Valverde after all.. Though i think this Carapaz will perform better in GT's as he seems to have more climbing ability than Soler, who i feel is a bit limited in the high mountains.
Isn't Carapaz more of a Purito-Valverde type than a pure climber as well? None of those are pure in that aspect, they can do other stuff as well which is great. I think Soler is the more likely GC-winner, but on the other hand, we haven't really sniffed at Carapaz' potential just yet. Im super intrigued by him for this Giro.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY