• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
Not to derail this thread but I notice the first post mentions Katusha's Restrepo. What's he like? Don't know much about him or his results at all..
Jhonatan Restrepo is pretty complete rider, who prefers things to go uphill rather than things to be flat. He's not as talented as other Colombian climbers, like Superman for instance, but he'll be great in one-week races and classics. In fact, he prefers the ardennes over the Tour and Vuelta, and just like Gaviria, and many other Colombians, he has a history with the track, pursuit mostly.

DNP-Old said:
luckyboy said:
Not to derail this thread but I notice the first post mentions Katusha's Restrepo. What's he like? Don't know much about him or his results at all..
Jhonatan Restrepo is pretty complete rider, who prefers things to go uphill rather than things to be flat. He's not as talented as other Colombian climbers, like Superman for instance, but he'll be great in one-week races and classics. In fact, he prefers the ardennes over the Tour and Vuelta, and just like Gaviria, and many other Colombians, he has a history with the track, pursuit mostly.

Do you really believ he will be great? I think he is not talented enough to make a real impact in the big races. He has big ambitions though in an interview before the start of the year he said something like this year was about learning and working for the team but in the future he want to win grand tours, but I highly doubt he ever top 20s a grand tour or top 10s a WT event.

Ruudz0r said:
DNP-Old said:
luckyboy said:

Do you really believ he will be great? I think he is not talented enough to make a real impact in the big races. He has big ambitions though in an interview before the start of the year he said something like this year was about learning and working for the team but in the future he want to win grand tours, but I highly doubt he ever top 20s a grand tour or top 10s a WT event.
Depends how you view ''great''. I agree with you that he is no way near talented enough to ever be elite, and considered the top favorite in Liege or Lombardia (just to name a few). But I do think that, at the peak of his career, he could be a very dangerous outsider for those kind of races. If he really wants to develop into a GC-rider, I'd consider that to be stupid. He'd need a hell lot of luck to ever finish top 5.

I think Amador is a pretty accurate comparison for Restrepo.

carapaz-consigue-una-victoria-por-ecuador-001.jpg

If he goes WT, it will almost certainly be with Movistar. After all, Lizarte is their feeder team and has been for years.

His victory today was in the Subida a Urraki, a mountainous Basque race which finishes on this:

urraki48.gif

And has two ascents of this:

mandubia50.gif

Last year's winner was Antonio Pedrero who also won riding for Lizarte and who's now a neopro at Movistar. Previous winners include Dani Díaz, Arkaitz Durán, Mikel Bizkarra, Rubén Pérez, Jesús Hernández and some guy called Joaquím Rodríguez back in 2000.

Richi defended his lead successfully on stage 3 to take the GC overall! It was a very dominant showing from Lizarte in the race, doing a spectacular 1-2-3 with Samitier, Rojo and Jurado in stage 1, then the HTF/MTF being won by Carapaz. The final stage was 141km from Sangüesa to Pamplona and while a few people attacked on the Puerto del Perdón around 15km from the line, Lizarte managed everything and successfully defended Carapaz' lead.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
He'll get his first shot at the big guns very soon. Carapaz has been selected to ride the road race of the Olympics!

AFAIK, Guama is the equatorian for Rio, Carapaz is listed as a replacement.

I think the news were not placed here, but Carapaz is a Movistar trainee this year. Honestly, I don't recall Abarca with a trainee in any of the most recent seasons.

http://expreso.ec/deportes/a-un-paso-del-world-tour-uci-KY441396

Re: Re:

Ricco' said:
DNP-Old said:
He'll get his first shot at the big guns very soon. Carapaz has been selected to ride the road race of the Olympics!

AFAIK, Guama is the equatorian for Rio, Carapaz is listed as a replacement.

I think the news were not placed here, but Carapaz is a Movistar trainee this year. Honestly, I don't recall Abarca with a trainee in any of the most recent seasons.

http://expreso.ec/deportes/a-un-paso-del-world-tour-uci-KY441396
A few months ago the head of Ecuadorian cycling had send a letter to either IOC or UCI (can't remember exactly), confirming Carapaz for the RR. Guess it was just a pre-selection or something afterall.

That said, he'll get his shot at the big guys soon with his stagiaire contract with Movistar. Look for him to tear it up in Burgos or whatever race they select him for.

TRENDING THREADS