• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Carapaz was hyped last year prior to the TT. Not this year. It would be ironic if Rog and Pog looked at each other whilst Richie rode up the road into yellow again ;)

I mean, you can keep saying it, but the only discussion around Carapaz for that TT was how slow he was going to ride to the base of Planche to have a crack at keeping the KOM. Long before Bernal dropped out it was clear Carapaz was not going to contend after being subbed into the team last minute.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If (big if) GT can put time into the 2 slovenians in the first TT (I wouldn't expect much, max 30-45 seconds even in his best form) it will make the tour fantastic as this opens up so many more tactical options to utilise Carapaz.
Don´t see Thomas putting time to the two slovenions in the TT. But even if can´t do it, Carapaz role will be important. I think he will be the one for the long range attacks. Like Bernal in 2019..

Reactions: Sandisfan
At most I think he (Thomas) can put 15'' in to Roglič in the first ITT and maybe up to 45'' in to Pogačar. I think it's more likely that he and Roglič will be close to each other and Pogačar within 20''-30''. Bonus seconds alone will neutralise most of that.

No matter what team you have in front of you, Portet and Ventoux are beasts where differences will be made.

So I think Ineos will be forced to attack, with Thomas staying in the wheels of the Slovenians.

At most I think he (Thomas) can put 15'' in to Roglič in the first ITT and maybe up to 45'' in to Pogačar. I think it's more likely that he and Roglič will be close to each other and Pogačar within 20''-30''. Bonus seconds alone will neutralise most of that.

No matter what team you have in front of you, Portet and Ventoux are beasts where differences will be made.

So I think Ineos will be forced to attack, with Thomas staying in the wheels of the Slovenians.
I would say Pogacar, Thomas and Roglic in TT will be more or less equal.. Carapaz will be the only one who will lose significant time in the TT out of the top 4 favourites...

It looked like Carapaz has improved his time trialing significantly. Nonetheless he should lose time in the tts compared to Pogacar, Roglic, Thomas and Porte.
I would expect him to lose something like 40 seconds to Thomas in the first one, and about a minute in the second one. Pogacar is unpredictable for me, and Roglic should be better than Thomas at least in the first tt.
Most important for Thomas and Porte and also Roglic will be to make it to the second time trial. :confused:
Really, I think the time trials are very hard to predict for the main contenders this year. It will depend very much on the form, general and form of the day, I think. Carapaz isn't someone like Gaudu where you know he will lose significant time for sure in the tts. Thomas is very strong on his day, but I'm not fully convinced he will be at his best. With Roglic I'm not sure about the later event, and like I said, Pogacar is completely unpredictable for me in this area. Porte can be relied on, but probably won't win.
From my first look it seemed at least the first time trial is quite technical?

Reactions: Cookster15